Double Standards...

Options
124»

Replies

• llm1607
    llm1607 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I think that these comments come from those that are afraid of being "left in the over-weight world" alone.
    Sometimes I think that these comments just come from those that are jealous of the progress that you are making while they sit and do nothing about their own situations...

THAT'S A GREAT BIG YEP!!!!

Yup yup yup!
  • RanmaGirl5
    RanmaGirl5 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I can agree and disagree with this cause I've been on both ends. When I was younger I was overweight and my family and friends would say stuff like, "let's go on a diet together, you know we could both benefit from dropping a few pounds" or, "wanna go for a walk with me, it will do you some good". Really nice ways of telling me to get off my a** and lose some f**king weight. However, I drop 30 pounds and say I wanna lose another 10 or 15, then everyone jokes that I'm anorexic. I take my dog for long walks to help us both exorsize (with breaks when it's especially hot out, he got a light form of heat exhaustion when he was a puppy and I never want that to happen again) and everyone says, "well don't kill him now". I won't say get over it because I can totally understand its makes you uncomfortable. All we're trying to do is get healthy. So just stick to your goals and when you look in the mirror, just let all the voices from others slide out of your mind and think how much closer you are :smile: :heart:
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Another double standard VenomousDUck enlightened me to this morning... women complain about how the media promotes unrealistic body images, then they go buy 12" personal um massagers.
  • anrieken
    Options
    I know this is an extreme case, but I've had teenage boys throw rocks at me while yelling disparaging comments about my obesity. That didn't exactly gear me up to get healthy, and neither did any less dramatic incidents of name calling. "Fat-shaming" isn't the way to go to get people to make healthier choices.

Yeah, now that I got that quote thing figured out...what you went through was a lot more than fat shaming, that was outright bullying. Shame is not necessarily an unhealthy emotion and is quite useful when trying to make a change or learn a lesson. When my daughter hits me in the face and then apologizes, I don't just tell her it's ok and move on, I forgive her then help her understand that what she did hurt me and could have injured me. She feels shame and learns the lesson that hitting people is wrong. Is my approach harmful to her? Is it cruel or abusive? I like to think it isn't.