Early Morning Workout?? Opinions??

Options
1235»

Replies

• KS_4691
    KS_4691 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    YES! I wake up at 4:15 every day to get to the gym when it opens at 5:00. The morning has become my favorite part of the day. I actually wake up without an alarm (and excited to start my morning!). I hope you can grow to love morning workouts too!

Oh and definitely eat before you work out if you're lifting.
  • DeadMarsha
    DeadMarsha Posts: 203
    Options
    I have heard that if a person works out in the morning, their metabolism is higher and they are more awake and alert during the day. Has anyone else heard this??

I am just looking to see what everyone's opinions are. :) Thanks!

I can attest to this personally. I get up at 6:00 am every day to do C25K or walk or Zumba or yoga and I can definitely tell the difference on the days that I don't! I used to get up at 5:00 am but that didn't last long... I don't like being up before the sun, but I can rise with it no problem. ;)
  • Gwen_B
    Gwen_B Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I started working out in the morning Monday, since the kids went back to school. Since I am not a morning person, I have to force my way through it and I don't really feel any added energy. Unfortunately after I eat in the evening, I feel the need to work off dinner, causing me to work out twice a day.
  • lisaishotpink
    Options
    I'm not a morning person so I go for my power walks in the morning pushing my 20 month old in the jogging stroller. We go no less than 2 miles, and his jabbering and cuteness helps me not punch the other people in the face just for being there.
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    That's how I worked out for 10 years when I worked in an office b/c if I waited till I got home from work at night, after working 9 hrs per day and sitting in rush hour for at least an hour, my workout would never ever happen. I miss my early am workouts. Now I start work at 6 and I don't live on my own anymore (I moved back w the folks when I got laid off a few yrs ago) so getting up at 4am for a workout is not an option b/c I will wake them and my energy suffered as a result. I do believe I had the energy b/c I worked out first thing in the morning, now I work out after my morning shift (around 10am) but it's just not the same :(
  • funsiiz
    funsiiz Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I prefer early mornings....I like to get it over with.......I always stress about it all day if I dont workout in the morning......I have alot more energy for the day. My attitude is better also:smile:
  • JolieJemmaMomma
    JolieJemmaMomma Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    i get up at 4am to work out before work the kids wont let me when i get home. I have lost 36 pounds in less than 4 monthes doing so :)
  • Sassy922
    Sassy922 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I work out in the morning because that is the only time it is guaranteed it will get accomplished. And I'm so not a morning person, but I do it anyway. The people at the gym know not to talk to me because all I do is grunt back at them.
  • MiCool90
    MiCool90 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Early morning workouts are wonderful for the body. If breakfast is the most important meal of the day, then your morning activity is the most important trend setter for the day.

Consider your early morning work-out as a pace car of sorts for your day. It can keep you moving and motivated.
  • meaganh13
    meaganh13 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I get up every weekday at 5:30 and workout for ~25 min. on the elliptical. Hot and sweaty, I can jump straight into a lukewarm shower and continue getting ready for the day. This suits me much better than getting up half an hour later in the morning, sacrificing what little time in the evening I have to myself and from having 2 showers a day.

Energy-wise, I've been doing this for 2 1/2 weeks now and I have never had so much energy throughout my workday! Even if I don't see the physical results that I'm hoping for right away, the energy boost and 'feel good' mentality in the morning is so worth it!
  • autumnbottom8
    autumnbottom8 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    It's hard to wake up earlier thank normal. When I get into a routine, I find it MUCH easier to get up, as in there is no question whether or not I'm going to go workout or not. Also I like the mornings because I feel like I will make better choices throughout the day because I started it off so well.
    GOOD LUCK!
  • allisonmrn
    allisonmrn Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    I would much rather workout in the am...but due to work and child care issues, I can't. If you have the chance to get it done in the morning, go for it!!! I feel like it gives me a great start to the day,and puts me in the right frame of mind and mood to tackle anything in my way! Good luck to you in your journey!!!
  • apedeb09
    apedeb09 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I think it's a great idea to do your workouts in the morning... I don't get up any earlier than I have to (I really should but I go to bed too late every night and then my kids wake me up at 6:30) but I do still work out in the morning before my husband gets home for lunch break. It makes me feel way better when I exercise in the morning to know that I've got it done and out of the way. I also do feel more energized and in a much better mood all together.
  • HoneyBadgerVin
    Options
    Another +1 to morning workouts. Puts my day started on a high note, more energy at work when people are still trying to "wake up", and you don't have all day to come up w/a thousand excuses why you can't workout later.

As the saying goes, workout in the morning before your brain realizes what you're doing.