Life on Mars

Options

Replies

• ModoVincere
    ModoVincere Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    No, I wouldn't want to go....but I know quite a few co-workers I'd buy a one way ticket for.
  • Jordy1983
    Jordy1983 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    The gravity surface is less on Mars than that of Earth which would cause muscles to atrophy quickly. Martians (for lack of a better word) would be weak and frail.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    The gravity surface is less on Mars than that of Earth which would cause muscles to atrophy quickly. Martians (for lack of a better word) would be weak and frail.
    They would be weak if they lived on Mars for an extended time and then came back to Earth. If we're talking colonists, it wouldn't be a problem if they stayed on Mars for their entire lives.
  • MIchelleH2027
    MIchelleH2027 Posts: 1,239 Member
    Options
    I am going to marry Elon Musk...so I will be retiring on Mars.
  • britlocs
    britlocs Posts: 124
    Options
    mars.ugly?

looks pretty sexy to me.check out the panorams...

http://www.panoramas.dk/mars/greeley-haven.html

will take a minute to load up

obviously deserted but it looka nice
  • ALW65
    ALW65 Posts: 643 Member
    Options

Less gravity would mean I would weigh less on Mars....maybe I better get packing :)

One day we will live on Mars, but it will because a business on Earth has figured out a way to make $$$$ off of the whole thing - then we can go mess up another planet - why stop at one if there are two in a solar system humans can trash?
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Less gravity would mean I would weigh less on Mars....maybe I better get packing :)
    Also, we'd be perkier.
  • sillygoose1977
    sillygoose1977 Posts: 2,151 Member
    Options
    I don't want to live on Mars but I'm ready for the space cruise ship so I can ride around in my lounge chair and drink slurpees all day.
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    No I would not go. I believe we should stay here and feed and clothe and provide clean water for ever person on Earth first before venturing out into new worlds. Lets take care of our own first.
  • halobender
    halobender Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    mars.ugly?
    Call me weird, but I prefer trees and grass to desert.
  • britlocs
    britlocs Posts: 124
    Options
    you can still appreciate the landscape,oh well,to each his own.
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options
    No I would not go. I believe we should stay here and feed and clothe and provide clean water for ever person on Earth first before venturing out into new worlds. Lets take care of our own first.

But wouldn't the technology developed in the process of achieving this goal help to reach your goals? For example, we need clean water but so will a spacecraft traveling to Mars. We need to be able to feed everyone, so will a spacecraft traveling to Mars, etc.
  • Fit4_Life
    Fit4_Life Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    No, I wouldn't want to go....but I know quite a few co-workers I'd buy a one way ticket for.

Lmao! Love this! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • MIchelleH2027
    MIchelleH2027 Posts: 1,239 Member
    Options

But wouldn't the technology developed in the process of achieving this goal help to reach your goals? For example, we need clean water but so will a spacecraft traveling to Mars. We need to be able to feed everyone, so will a spacecraft traveling to Mars, etc.

I think I am following your logic here and if so, I agree with you. I believe that if this living on Mars goal is attained it will in fact help the quality of life for the people on earth as well. You may have to look beyond the initial getting to that point process to see all the good that could/would come from it.
  • Jules2Be
    Jules2Be Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options

well said.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Well firstly,there is nothing wrong with EARTH.So when you say perfect "our" planet (lol),you really mean,focus on ways to make humanity survive longer.

earth,the planet,will survive,with or without humans.Earth is already "perfect" in that sense.

There is also a theory that meteors from mars containing microbes,may have kick started life on earth.Its all about discovery and understanding the environment with live in (that includes space),how someone can think that is not useful,is beyond me.

and who wouldn't want to know if an asteroid was heading towards earth,that they are currently working on deflecting?Can't remember what the predicted impact date was,but I think it was some 20-30years time.

to answer the original question,I wouldn't want to be in the first group of people to live on mars.Maybe third generation.

Good answer! Until you got to the conspiracy theory... but seriously... there are a lot of mysteries to be solved and Mars is the answer to many of them. Why wouldn't we explore there more in depth?

Stop hatin' on humankind people!
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    All I can think of is Total Recall....

total_recall_arnold__span.jpeg
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    mars.ugly?
    Call me weird, but I prefer trees and grass to desert.

Trees and grass are awesome! But there are things in space that you would never ever get the chance to see on earth. Beautiful things that just couldn't occur here.
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    Oh....I don't know..landing pattern's pretty cool though.

http://youtu.be/Ki_Af_o9Q9s
  • Jules2Be
    Jules2Be Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options
    All I can think of is Total Recall....

total_recall_arnold__span.jpeg

i love you.