Texas high school build $60 million football stadium.

Options
Laces_0ut
Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
I love how much Texans love football. that is one nice looking stadium for a high school.

http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/dish/201208/texas-high-school-set-open-60-million-stadium

Replies

• jnh17
    jnh17 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Don't get me started. That was part of a 119 MILLION dollar bond -- which means it had to be voted on by the taxpayers....and they said YES! Crazy.

"It shows that the people of Allen support their kids," head coach

^^^^REALLY? This is how they pass bonds. If you don't vote in favor, you hate kids.
  • Laces_0ut
    Options
    isnt that a good thing? the people wanted it and voted for it instead of some council pushing it through?
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    How much funding for arts, technology and other programs has been cut to make this possible?

Edit: Just read the blurb; apparently an auditorium was built as well . . . still, I am suspicious. IMO that is too much money to spend on a high school football stadium. Makes me a little sad.
  • Laces_0ut
    Options
    How much funding for arts and other programs has been cut to make this possible?

Edit: Just read the blurb; apparently an auditorium was built as well . . . still, I am suspicious. IMO that is too much money to spend on a high school football stadium. Makes me a little sad.

"It was the centerpiece of a $119 million bond that includes a fine arts auditorium and a service center for the district."

and lets be real...if you are in high school a cool football stadium is more enjoyable than a fine arts center.
  • Rilke
    Options
    and lets be real...if you are in high school a cool football stadium is more enjoyable than a fine arts center.

I guess you were an athlete in high school. It really, really sucks for the kids on the fringes, the artistic kids, the computer geeks, etc. when their own interests continually get trampled, ignored, and funding slashed in favor of sports.
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    How much funding for arts, technology and other programs has been cut to make this possible?

"For critics who call Allen a football-crazed town, the bond package included a much-needed $23.3 million auditorium for the district's performing arts programs. It also included $36.5 million for a transportation, maintenance and nutrition center". From MSN
  • Lone_Wolf70
    Lone_Wolf70 Posts: 2,820 Member
    Options

I guess you were an athlete in high school. It really, really sucks for the kids on the fringes, the artistic kids, the computer geeks, etc. when their own interests continually get trampled, ignored, and funding slashed in favor of sports.

WIthout football those things usually dont exist because football funds cover quite a bit of this stuff...and I saw that as a former football playing artistic kid.
  • LonLB
    LonLB Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options

I understand what you are saying.....

My questions are how are students in this school stacking up academically compared to other schools across the country.

In the defense of the stadium I would ask how much $$$$ does the football program bring the school vs ALL other programs?
  • jnh17
    Options
    isnt that a good thing? the people wanted it and voted for it instead of some council pushing it through?
    It's definately better than just being FORCED to do it but, most people don't really understand what 119 million dollars really is (and Texas is going through severe education cuts). It's monopoly money at that point. And like I said, it's packaged like you're totally against the kids and their future if you don't vote it through. Plus, like any politician would do, they package it with something the district really needs (like new buildings, roofs, etc).
  • tripitena
    tripitena Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    If the voters approved it, they should have it. The arts addition is a wondeful thing for those not into footbal. I'm thinking the stadium will be used for more than football, much like most other school stadiums are.
  • jnh17
    Options

My questions are how are students in this school stacking up academically compared to other schools across the country.

In the defense of the stadium I would ask how much $$$$ does the football program bring the school vs ALL other programs?

It's Texas -- ALL football programs bring in the most in any district. The plus's for this stadium is the money it will make hosting events outside of regular football (band competitions, playoff games, etc). It's very central for a lot of schools. But if they charge more for the facility, it won't be used much.
  • Rilke
    Options

WIthout football those things usually dont exist because football funds cover quite a bit of this stuff...and I saw that as a former football playing artistic kid.

That must be why, when I was in high school, the football team got new uniforms every single year while the marching band suffered in ugly, holey, fifteen-year-old uniforms.

Or why the drama department was forced to cut back from three performances a year to two, while lacrosse and basketball budgets were increased.

Or, funding aside, why, in the public school I taught in last year, the students rarely knew about the concerts and performances and art shows going on, but at least three mornings a week first period classes were interrupted by the athletic director talking about sports games and scores on the intercom.
  • Laces_0ut
    Options

a lot of kids that werent really into sports would show up for games because of the social aspect of it. i attended an artsy thing a few times during high school and theater was mostly empty. obviously not every school is the same but when takling with friends they said they had pretty much the same experience.

so thats why they spend so much on sports is because the majority get something out of it.
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Eh. The district stadium (also has a basketball arena) less than a mile from my house is bigger than the current one at the University of Houston. It also more than pays for itself.

The major church in the area uses it for an annex, Cirque de Soliel has used it, there are playoff games there, etc. It's just not that cut and dry.
  • steveinrc
    Options
    Any of you familiar with Allen? They can afford it. Super nice area.
  • Lone_Wolf70
    Lone_Wolf70 Posts: 2,820 Member
    Options

That must be why, when I was in high school, the football team got new uniforms every single year while the marching band suffered in ugly, holey, fifteen-year-old uniforms.

Or why the drama department was forced to cut back from three performances a year to two, while lacrosse and basketball budgets were increased.

Or, funding aside, why, in the public school I taught in last year, the students rarely knew about the concerts and performances and art shows going on, but at least three mornings a week first period classes were interrupted by the athletic director talking about sports games and scores on the intercom.

its a form of the free market. If people were deeply into that stuff theyd be there....i remember playing to 2/3 empty auditoriums in HS...it wasnt cuz ppl didnt know about it.
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options

It's Texas -- ALL football programs bring in the most in any district. The plus's for this stadium is the money it will make hosting events outside of regular football (band competitions, playoff games, etc). It's very central for a lot of schools. But if they charge more for the facility, it won't be used much.
    ^^Inaccurate. Football doesn't bring *kitten* in for DISD, which is one of the largest districts in the state.

Allen IS a football obsessed town, and it's pathetic. Competed against them multiple times in UIL while I was in high school. We wiped the floor with them. It was sad.

Texas is obsessed with football, which is fine. Which isn't fine is the fact that some of the best football high schools in the state also have some of the highest droppest rates, lowest college acceptance rates, and are just overall sh!tty.

The Texas public education system is horrible. That being said, we do have amazing private schools if you've got the moolah.
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    Eh. The district stadium (also has a basketball arena) less than a mile from my house is bigger than the current one at the University of Houston. It also more than pays for itself.
    The major church in the area uses it for an annex, Cirque de Soliel has used it, there are playoff games there, etc. It's just not that cut and dry.

Gotta love the Osteen Estate! Everything is bigger in Texas!
  • JPod279
    JPod279 Posts: 722 Member
    Options

When people want to pay money to see debates or science fairs or computer programming they can have big stadiums as well. Besides, all those football players will wind up working for the smart/artistic kids anyways.

(There. I have insulted both sides, now I can sit back and watch the insults fly. :bigsmile: )
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    Any of you familiar with Allen? They can afford it. Super nice area.
    Actually, Allen is pretty damn sh!tty and desolate. It's a wanna be Plano. And Plano kinda sucks too. They all try to emulate Highland Park, and they're failing, miserably.