Texas high school build $60 million football stadium.

Options

Replies

• DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    Texas is obsessed with football, which is fine. Which isn't fine is the fact that some of the best football high schools in the state also have some of the highest droppest rates, lowest college acceptance rates, and are just overall sh!tty.

So not true....The Texas city that I live in has one of the top ranked football teams in the nation and is one of the top districts in the nation as well. Stereotyping is a bad thing...lol
    Re read it again. Take note of the word some.

Jumping to conclusions is a bad thing.
  • jnh17
    jnh17 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    The only people who watch HS footbal games besides family and scouts are pedophiles. Fact. :indifferent:

Maybe volleyball games but trust me, you know those guys that were something in HS when they played, they go. From 18-80.
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    Those magical students you referred to who aren't as "academically stellar" as myself. I'm sorry, but using football as a reason to stay in school is a cop out. Getting decent grades in high school is absolutely NOT hard if you put in the time in effort. I had a whole menagerie of friends who came from absolutely horrible backgrounds (one was actually homeless), and they busted their *kitten* day in and day out to make the grade so that they could do something that no one ever thought they could...go to college. Did some of them play sports? Absolutely, so did I. But none of them, nor myself, ever let sports be the only motivating factor for staying in school. That's just ridiculous.

That's great for you and your friends. I just don't see why you have such a problem with football being what keeps some kids in school. Not everyone is cut out for college. Not everyone is going to be a National Merit Scholar. So what if all some kids have going for them is sports?
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    OK I love Texas just as much as a Texan (and I mean it), but the article is ladled with that obnoxious "Texas pride." Maybe it was just the last couple sentences that irked me. I'm not saying everyone from Texas is snobby, its just how that article was written. You're proud of where you're from, I get it. I spent a lot of time in Texas and the people are nice (most of them), but some of their attitudes towards where they're from is downright insulting.

Anyway, it is true Texas loves their HS football...that stadium obviously shows it. They probably needed it. I don't agree to spend that amount of money on a HS stadium (top program or not). It could be spent on other things in the school like raising the teachers' salaries. However, if they have the will and $$$ to spend that amount on a stadium. I'm sure their classrooms are stellar. They can do as they please. I am not paying taxes there.
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    Those magical students you referred to who aren't as "academically stellar" as myself. I'm sorry, but using football as a reason to stay in school is a cop out. Getting decent grades in high school is absolutely NOT hard if you put in the time in effort. I had a whole menagerie of friends who came from absolutely horrible backgrounds (one was actually homeless), and they busted their *kitten* day in and day out to make the grade so that they could do something that no one ever thought they could...go to college. Did some of them play sports? Absolutely, so did I. But none of them, nor myself, ever let sports be the only motivating factor for staying in school. That's just ridiculous.

That's great for you and your friends. I just don't see why you have such a problem with football being what keeps some kids in school. Not everyone is cut out for college. Not everyone is going to be a National Merit Scholar. So what if all some kids have going for them is sports?
    And what happens when they (99.9% of the time) don't get drafted? Well, now they have nothing going on for them.
    I have absolutely NO problem with kids who love sports and devote the majority of their life to them. What I have a problem with is kids who use their status or their ability to learn as a cop out for having horrible grades. High school is not hard.

And no one said diddly about being a National Merit Scholar. I just expect kids to graduate.

Good to know your standards are far lower. If you're the majority, that explains the sh!tty state of the public school system.
  • hiker359
    hiker359 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    and lets be real...if you are in high school a cool football stadium is more enjoyable than a fine arts center.

Different strokes for different blokes...I spent more time in a fine arts center than i did on a football field and loved it. Football was merely a social experience, but I've never been uber interested in the game itself. If given a choice between tickets to the Super Bowl and tickets to Broadway, I'd take the Broadway tickets without a second thought.

As far as the OP, I say if the people voted in favor of it and they fill the place up and bring in revenue off it, all the power to them!
  • RedneckWmn
    RedneckWmn Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    That's the high school I went to growing up. It went from a very small town to a big booming town who loves football. The stadium is insane and can be seen miles away. To each his own. The seats will be filled. The old stadium was waaaay over crowded. They added bleachers everywhere you could. There are soooo many season ticket holders. My best friends family has been a season ticket holder for over 20 years and lots of other season ticket holders are the same.
  • _the_feniks_
    _the_feniks_ Posts: 3,443 Member
    Options
    The only people who watch HS footbal games besides family and scouts are pedophiles. Fact. :indifferent:

Maybe volleyball games but trust me, you know those guys that were something in HS when they played, they go. From 18-80.

$#!t... I gotta quit going to high school volleyball games.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    and lets be real...if you are in high school a cool football stadium is more enjoyable than a fine arts center.

Different strokes for different blokes...I spent more time in a fine arts center than i did on a football field and loved it. Football was merely a social experience, but I've never been uber interested in the game itself. If given a choice between tickets to the Super Bowl and tickets to Broadway, I'd take the Broadway tickets without a second thought.

As far as the OP, I say if the people voted in favor of it and they fill the place up and bring in revenue off it, all the power to them!

like i said above i know its not for everyone but for the vast majority its sports>fine arts as shown by attendance at both kind of events.

but with the success of Glee who knows what the next generation will be into. :)
  • VenomousDuck
    Options
    Between 2009 and 2011 we shot 161 Tomahawk Cruise Missiles into Lybia for the "no fly zone" for $225 million and they don't even have a score board for it.

That stadium looks like a bargain now....:drinker:
  • RedneckWmn
    Options
    And the tax payers did vote to pay for the stadium
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    That's the high school I went to growing up. It went from a very small town to a big booming town who loves football. The stadium is insane and can be seen miles away. To each his own. The seats will be filled. The old stadium was waaaay over crowded. They added bleachers everywhere you could. There are soooo many season ticket holders. My best friends family has been a season ticket holder for over 20 years and lots of other season ticket holders are the same.

WTH??? Hahahha, season tickets!! Wow. I am amazed. I'm from a tiny town so the thought of season tickets for HS blows my mind.
  • macpatti
    Options
    And what happens when they (99.9% of the time) don't get drafted? Well, now they have nothing going on for them.
    What??? I never said anything about them expecting to go on to play college ball or the NFL. It helps get them a high school diploma. To me, that's better than dropping out. If football keeps them in school, GREAT!
    I have absolutely NO problem with kids who love sports and devote the majority of their life to them. What I have a problem with is kids who use their status or their ability to learn as a cop out for having horrible grades. High school is not hard.
    Perhaps you're looking at it the wrong way. Did you ever think that maybe it's not a cop out and maybe they really can't do the work? High school may not be that hard for you, but I'm guessing you can read and write since you're on here.
    And no one said diddly about being a National Merit Scholar. I just expect kids to graduate.
    And my point from the beginning is that football programs help keep some kids in school, meaning they graduate.
    Good to know your standards are far lower. If you're the majority, that explains the sh!tty state of the public school system.
    Actually, I work at a Jesuit school. I'm guessing because of the way you're replying here that you're familiar with Dallas Jesuit. I do not have lower standards for anyone. But, I do know that not everyone is cut out for college and I know for a fact some kids stay in school because of football. So, again, I'm not sure why that bothers you so much.
  • RedneckWmn
    Options

WTH??? Hahahha, season tickets!! Wow. I am amazed. I'm from a tiny town so the thought of season tickets for HS blows my mind.

Yes ma'am. The season ticket holder section at the last game I went to in Allen took up an entire side of the field. There were bleachers at each end zone on the visitor side and in every corner.
  • jnh17
    jnh17 Posts: 838 Member
    Options

Yes ma'am. The season ticket holder section at the last game I went to in Allen took up an entire side of the field. There were bleachers at each end zone on the visitor side and in every corner.

My hs has season tickets also. You aren't ANYBODY if you don't have them. ;)
  • 1Fizzle
    1Fizzle Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Texas is obsessed with football, which is fine. Which isn't fine is the fact that some of the best football high schools in the state also have some of the highest droppest rates, lowest college acceptance rates, and are just overall sh!tty.

So not true....The Texas city that I live in has one of the top ranked football teams in the nation and is one of the top districts in the nation as well. Stereotyping is a bad thing...lol
    Re read it again. Take note of the word some.

Jumping to conclusions is a bad thing.

I just got served.....:sad:
  • macpatti
    Options
    Meh. According to The Houston Chronicle: "In Katy ISD, four of seven high schools drew recognition: Cinco Ranch (No. 580), Seven Lakes (No. 615), Taylor (No. 984) and Morton Ranch (No. 1,645)." Dallas had the number 1 and number 3 schools in the nation.

http://blog.chron.com/k12zone/2012/05/houston-schools-rank-well-nationally/
  • skonly
    skonly Posts: 371
    Options
    @rilke....you make a good point. the problem is no one cares. i wish it wasn't this way. the education system in texas is one of the worst in the country.

Must be saying something, as public education in general in the US is pretty much shot.

I have my masters degree in education and I'm pretty sure I want out. Unless I can get a job in a decent private school.

All the teachers I know are looking into other careers. One just transferred to a different district out of fear. It is very rough where she was, in fact, two of her students were just involved in a murder. They have a great football team though. One of the security guards is quitting due to violence.

The town I live in have one of the nicest stadiums in the state. It hasn't been long since my children attended that school. They didn't bring many books home and didn't have a lot of homework. I asked a few teachers why they were not allowed to brings some of the books home. There are not enough for each student so many classes have to keep the books in the classroom.

I just don't think that much money should go into sports if they can't afford books. I have also noticed the school supply list for younger grades now includes copy paper and other items not included in previous years. If the schools can't afford books and basic supplies they shouldn't spend so much money on sports.
  • macpatti
    Options
    I just don't think that much money should go into sports if they can't afford books. I have also noticed the school supply list for younger grades now includes copy paper and other items not included in previous years. If the schools can't afford books and basic supplies they shouldn't spend so much money on sports.
    But aren't the tax payers paying for the stadium and not the school district?
  • coachblt
    coachblt Posts: 1,090
    Options
    Nice stadium!