i have TONS of cucumbers now.....ideas?

Options
1235»

Replies

• BSchoberg
    BSchoberg Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    OMG - give 'em here. Love cukes. And tomatos! We're having such a bad drought, most of the local produce is baking on the vine.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    Great ideas! BUMP! X
  • tam120
    tam120 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I've got tons of them too. :tongue:
  • marsellient
    marsellient Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Bump for recipes!
  • arielian
    arielian Posts: 200
    Options
    cold cucumber soup!
  • TracyDiva28
    Options
    I dip mine in vinegar mixed with a little salt. Tastes like salt n vinegar chips, I love it.
  • uachickie
    Options
    Make Tzaziki sauce and make grilled chicken sandwiches with whole wheat pitas.

3 cups Non-fat Greek Yogurt
    juice of one lemon (about 3 T)
    1 garlic clove, chopped
    2 medium cucumbers, seeded and diced
    about 1 T kosher salt for salting cucumbers
    1 T finely chopped fresh dill (can sub dried dill in a pinch)
    Kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste

Peel cucumbers, then cut in half lengthwise and take a small spoon and scrape out seeds. Discard seeds. (If you use the small seedless or European cucumbers with few seeds, you can skip this step.) Slice cucumbers, then put in a colander, sprinkle on 1 T salt, and let stand for 30 minutes to draw out water. Drain well and wipe dry with paper towel.

In food processor with steel blade, add cucumbers, garlic, lemon juice, dill, and a few grinds of black pepper. Process until well blended, then stir this mixture into the yogurt. Taste before adding any extra salt, then salt if needed. Place in refrigerator for at least two hours before serving so flavors can blend. (This resting time is very important.)

This will keep for a few days or more in the refrigerator, but you will need to drain off any water and stir each time you use it.
  • ambrise
    ambrise Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Here's a good recipe. It's called marinated cucumbers. 1/4 cup vinegar or lemon juice, 1-2 tbsp sugar I tsp salt, 2 cups peeled and thinly sliced cucumbers. Mix vinegar sugar and salt in bowl add cucumbers and leave covered in fridge for at least 4 hours. I usually take them out every hour and stir them.
  • brneydgrlie
    brneydgrlie Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Here's a good recipe. It's called marinated cucumbers. 1/4 cup vinegar or lemon juice, 1-2 tbsp sugar I tsp salt, 2 cups peeled and thinly sliced cucumbers. Mix vinegar sugar and salt in bowl add cucumbers and leave covered in fridge for at least 4 hours. I usually take them out every hour and stir them.

Also known as refrigerator pickles. They last in the fridge for nearly 2 weeks. Personally I do mine with water, vinegar, dill, and garlic, and leave out the sugar and salt.
  • tnqnt
    tnqnt Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Cucumber salad....
    simple and super low cal.......

shave cukes (super thin slices)
    add red onion, red wine vinegar (or any of your choice), salt, pepper (pref white pepper) and a teen bit of oil (I like Avocado oil)...

let sit in the juices for 2 hours or so and YUMMY low cal salad!!
  • Gidzmo
    Gidzmo Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Onions and Cucumbers in water/vinegar SUPER AMAZING! My wife makes that on special occasions.

One family member here makes those, too.

Cucumbers are also good just cut into wedges. Very cooling on a hot day. :smile:
  • slimmergalpal
    slimmergalpal Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    bump
  • AblazeRiver
    AblazeRiver Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    bumping this for the awesome recipes!