How many people know you're doing this?

Options
12346»

Replies

• _KatieKat
    _KatieKat Posts: 224
    Options

I don't like talking about dieting and weight loss with people who don't understand.

this exactly!
  • tnjackso1
    tnjackso1 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    When I first began my journey I told no one. Now, if they notice that I've lost 30lbs and inquire how I did it then and only then do I share. This is a lifestyle change and with that I had to also change those that I hung with who liked to eat unhealthy everyday.

When losing some people can be so cruel and negative so I just chose to keep my mouth shut and nver let those around me rain on my victories no matter how great or small.

Keep up the good work!
  • BSchoberg
    BSchoberg Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking I might be using this site and app for years after I reach my goal weight.

I will be, too. I've hit my goal before and ended up gaining back over time. Tired of the yo-yo. Plus, no one else wants to hear that I ran 5 minutes straight three times or will celebrate each half pound I lose! Where are ya gonna find that kind of support???

I've told a few people - one just today - mostly in context of what I'm doing and why I'm looking better or why I'm opting to bring a big fruit salad to my sister's barbeque instead of a pasta salad. I don't wear a billboard, but if someone shows the slightest interest, I'm all "MFP is such a great site" and on and on and on. :flowerforyou:
  • thebrianmo
    thebrianmo Posts: 108
    Options
    Morning all,

I was just wondering how many people you have told that you're trying to lose weight, etc?

About 10,000 people I've told so far that I'm on a weight loss journey. No I don't actually know 10,000 people but I do have a blog that gets about 10,000 hits a month and I blog all about this journey.
  • skinnygurl02
    skinnygurl02 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    everyone...
  • MonicaLee92
    Options
    I'd say about 6 or 7 people
  • america_c
    Options
    Absolutely no one. I don't want to deal with people who don't know what it's like to constantly struggle with weight.
  • cindyhoney2
    cindyhoney2 Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    I am the complete opposite. I tell everybody that will listen. Working on the principle that it keeps me focused and my own mind on it.

Especially now that people in work/social life are starting to notice. A wow your looking good leads to a 10 minute "wow MFP is this great site....."

It keeps me thinking about what I have done to get here and what I need to keep doing.

Has even helped in the office as people now bring in fruit ocassionally rather than biscuits.

^^ What he said. I need to stay honest so I like to be held accountable. but I understand the other opinions too.
  • jayne12469
    jayne12469 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I've only told a few close friends whom I know will be supportive and understand why this is so important for me.

I watched a coworker make the lifestyle change to eating healthier foods, and saw the abuse she took from other coworkers and friends. It was ridiculous how petty and judgmental (and even jealous!) some people were with her. "Are you really eating that? I thought you were on a diet?" "Oh, come on already, just have a piece of cake." The comments and looks she often got were unbelievable.

Turns out that she's the only person I can confide in about my dietary concerns. She's the person who recommended MFP to me. I thank her every day for that, and for being so supportive of me. She even smuggles me samples of some of the healthier foods she's found and loves, so that I can try before I buy.

If anyone asks me (and they're being serious, not just nosy), I'll happily tell them about MFP. It's a great tool, and I've found SO many supportive friends here!
  • BeckySue1977
    BeckySue1977 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I haven't broadcast it and probably the biggest reason I haven't is because I'm afraid that I will fail and then have to answer to why. Silly right? Low self esteme? yeah, probably, but that's a different topic.

I have told my boyfriend and he is super supportive! He praises me when I work out and tells me how sexy I look all sweaty lol. Some days when I'm feeling particularly good about my numbers I'll take my phone in and proudly show him my totals for the day. After about 2 weeks of consistent exercise he started telling me that he can see a difference in my shape (even though the scale hasn't moved much!). He's been a great support!

I also told my mom that I was using the site, but I didn't make a huge deal of it, just kind threw it in as a tool she may like to use since she is also working on losing weight.
  • mmarcy7
    mmarcy7 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    No one but my husband knows I use this site and log everything, because he is doing it too. If anyone asked I would tell them, but no one else around me seems interested in losing weight.
  • tarheelteacher
    tarheelteacher Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    At the beginning only my family knew I was using MFP. As people began to ask me what I was doing to lose weight I told them about MFP. Some are trying out the site. For all of you trying to lose weight, quit worrying about what other people say about what you eat! Do what you think is best for you and let them say whatever they wish. Your weightloss journey is for a healthier you....not for others to agree or disagree with. I say that as a word of encouragement, not in a mean spirit.
  • kornmaiden
    kornmaiden Posts: 109
    Options
    A lot! I am in a couple of support groups for weight loss on Facebook and friends and family know and have been very supportive.
  • britfout
    britfout Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I tell everyone that asks what I'm doing...

But I still get stupid comments such as:

'you've lost a lot of weight, are you ok?'

'are you anorexic now or something?'

Blah, I can't just be counting calories, eating healthy and exercising?
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    The lady that recommended MFP to me obviously knows. My bro and SIL know because my SIL's sister is on MFP. My b/f knows I am on some weight loss site but that's it . But since I have my feed here attached to Twitter and Facebook, any of my friends or followers also knows.
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    Options
    The first time I told no one, and I didn't talk about it until people started asking what I was doing.

This time because I am doing it in conjuction with eating with restrictions because of allergies and food sensitivites I don't find it so uncomfortable to talk about. I still don't talk about logging in or how many calories or what is or is not healthy. I simply do my best to eat healthy every time I eat. When someone asks about what I am doing I share.
  • nicholettebell
    Options
    At the beginning I didn't really tell anyone because I didn't even think I could do it. And also I did not want to fail after saying anything. Now I will tell total strangers! Seriously, I had a 30 minute conversation about it with a barista in a town I was vacationing at. It was awesome.
  • di2losew8
    di2losew8 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I have told close family and feel like they know that I want to be healthy, so they will support me as long as it's safe. I have even recommended this sight to several of them. I have not told any friends, not that they would judge my eating, just that they don't need to know unless they see the difference and ask how i did it. Just none of their business.
  • SueD66
    SueD66 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    5 plus all of you on mfp:)
  • ppatricia81
    ppatricia81 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    my husband and I are doing this together, so obviously he knows and my coworkers know which now they want to do, they help me out, and my best friend knows.