At what age did you start worrying about "brands"

Options

Replies

• stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options

I would LOVED to have seen it then. Completely honest I love seeing healthy hair because it's so rare. I've never seen someone with hair past their shoulders without split ends so it would be like finding the crown jewel! Do you have any pics?

On my profile -- old and new hair.

I was really excited. :-(

Seriously? Now you're just being obtuse to try to make yourself look good.

My mother told me if I didn't have anything nice to say not to say anything. I have curly hair too, it requires maintenance. You can choose not to maintain it but you can't brag about how amazing it looks.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

I would LOVED to have seen it then. Completely honest I love seeing healthy hair because it's so rare. I've never seen someone with hair past their shoulders without split ends so it would be like finding the crown jewel! Do you have any pics?

My mother told me if I didn't have anything nice to say not to say anything. I have curly hair too, it requires maintenance. You can choose not to maintain it but you can't brag about how amazing it looks.

OK then. I guess all the random people who compliment it every day are blind and that my stylist is lying when she says she loves working with it. Looks like you straighten yours and keep it very short, so I'm not sure how much you actually know about caring for long, curly hair. I find most people (stylists included, which is why it took me FOREVER to find one) have no idea what to do with curls.
  • jamielane22
    Options
    Probably around age 10 or 11 maybe? However I've noticed in the last few years (since I had to start paying for a lot of stuff myself, coincidence hmm?) that I'm less and less worried about what brands I'll wear. Some brands I'll stick with because I know that they last. For example the last two years I've bought a certain brands hoodie at around £35 a go because they last well, I still have the one I bought two years ago!
  • AnitaVolpato
    AnitaVolpato Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Around the age of 9-10... My mother made it tough on me.. I stopped giving a crap about brands once I had to start paying for them myself so that was around 17....
  • Shayzeepoo
    Shayzeepoo Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    My son is 3 and will only wear his DC skate shoes :noway: Thanks to his dad!
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options

OK then. I guess all the random people who compliment it every day are blind and that my stylist is lying when she says she loves working with it. Looks like you straighten yours and keep it very short, so I'm not sure how much you actually know about caring for long, curly hair. I find most people (stylists included, which is why it took me FOREVER to find one) have no idea what to do with curls.

My wedding picture on my profile has my hair mid-back length. Many of my clients have curly hair because I DO know how to work with it. I agree many stylists don't know how to deal with curls and after doing other people's hair for 8 hours a day, maybe I don't want to spend lots of time doing mine. Or maybe I just like the way short hair looks on me? I'm sure people love your hair. Most people admire what they don't have; in your case, curls. It's good that you embrace that.
  • mtaylor33557
    mtaylor33557 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I first asked my mom for "Nike" shoes and "Calvin Klein" Jeans around Jr High. We weren't very well off, so I was allowed one brand name pair of shoes a year, anything else had to come from places like WalMart. She would find deals on clothes at Sam's Club, TJ Maxx, Etc. so I could have a few brand names that way too. I wasn't nearly as "cool" as the girls who were brand name all the way down to the VS undies and Clinique makeup & perfume.

But, by the time I graduated high school, I no longer cared about these things.. I don't know when I stopped caring, but I did.

My favorite clothes from my senior year and all through college all came from non name brands. It just didn't matter to me anymore, and I think I was better dressed because I went for fit and style over name.

I still don't care about brand names, My SIL makes fun of me because anytime she says "ooh, I like that!" I'll say "Oh, its from Wal Mart / Target / Cato / Old Navy" She likes to shop at places like Anne Taylor and Dillards.. but I look just as well dressed as she does, for a fraction of the price.
  • mfp116
    mfp116 Posts: 108
    Options
    im nearly 20.. and i still dont care about brands aha
    more about the style of things etc than what the label is i hate buying things that plaster a brand on them i avoid buying those things cause i feel theyre too flashy i like things simple! flashier things are more i feel like its trying to compensate for something..
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options
    Seems very young... at 6.5 years old my kids are asking for Angry Bird clothes not name brands lol.

Personally, at their young age they will get what I buy them - of course giving them the option to choose which shirts they want, etc. in the store we are in. But I choose the store :)
  • scarlet331
    scarlet331 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    5 yrs old is a bit too young to be worrying about labels. My mother would only buy clothing that she could afford so it didn't matter to me. When I hit the middle school, everyone started asking about what type of shoes you have, what clothing you wore(Espirt, Jordache, Champion, Asisics, Nike were all popular then). I got made fun of because my clothing and shoes came from Kmart and not a fancy mall.. One kid said I shopped at a thrift store, which was false. When I hit high school, I was told if I wanted those brand names, I had to work for them myself and that is what I did.

To this day, I buy what I can afford, label or not. Yes, I do shop at vintage/thrift stores. You can find a bunch of neat stuff that people do not want anymore. I found a bunch of 90's CD's the other day I missed listening to for .99 a piece.
  • LonLB
    LonLB Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    6th grade is when it really starts to matter-as I remember it, and notice with kids I work with.

If you are a parent who is a bargain hunting machine your children can have decent brand names for cheaper than going to walmart etc.

TJ Max, Plato's Closet, Old Navy sales, Kohls sales, craigslist even.

I'll always do that if I can't afford to buy my boys the good stuff at new prices.
    FWIW though Old Navy always has really great sales before school starts so we just stock up on clothes that fit them NOW, and will fit them as the school year winds down.
  • AnitaVolpato
    AnitaVolpato Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Don't get me wrong I would love to have a few Louis Vuitton and Chanel Bags... but the whole Gap, Abercrombie, Limited BS is still cheap clothes over priced clothes and not made very well, they definitely aren't high class like some people try to make them out to be. The only brand jeans I have ever seen last were my Lucky Jeans and Paper Denim.. Those are worth the money!
  • JuneyJo
    JuneyJo Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I grew up in a poor area and we all did our back to school shopping at Kmart. No one cared about brands. We called all white canvas tennis shoes Keds and all other kinds were just "sneakers." We all wore whatever jeans Kmart had. I wear Sketchers now because I like them and they last, but I don't "have to have" them. I get my kids Sketchers at the outlet store when they're on sale. And they know that if they damage or lose their Sketchers, they're not getting new ones. We'll go to Walmart and get what they have.

I just looked over my outfit and I got it all at Kohl's, Ross and Payless. No "brand" names :smile:

I hope that when my kids (8 and 6) start to get into brands and whatnot that I can convey to them that if they want it because they like it, we'll talk about it. But if they want it to be like everyone else... let's talk about individuality first.

My 8yo keeps asking for an iPhone and I just laugh at him. Mean, yes, but come on - ain't gonna happen, dude. :laugh:
  • LonLB
    LonLB Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    The only brand jeans I have ever seen last were my Lucky Jeans and Paper Denim.. Those are worth the money!

Agreed. My first pair of Lucky jeans lasted 10 years.

I've given away pairs to my nephew who still wears them and they are years old now too.

Weather forecast says it's going to be really cool tomorrow and I hope it is because I've got a couple new pair of Lucky's that I'll fit into now, and want to wear them.
  • chocl8girl
    chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    Umm...I'm going to have to go with never, I've never been small enough to wear brand name clothes, and anything else just doesn't interest me that much. I do own a Coach handbag, but I got it off of eBay for like $125 just because I liked the style, didn't care about the name. lol...
  • photorific
    photorific Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Uh - my kids started worrying about brands at about jr high age... which is about when I recall becoming aware of them. For my kids, they got a healthy dose of budgeting lessons about this age. They were told that they could choose clothing from these brands, but that the budget does not automatically expand to accomodate the taste. My son started 8th grade with 5 pairs of jeans, 5 shirts, and 1 pair of shoes. He had to do laundry a lot. But because of this, he [eventually] developed 1) an appreciation for sale/clearance items and discount stores and 2) a realization that maintaining a budget is an important part of one's life.

Not sure that this is quite the appropriate lesson to be had at 5 (which, yes, I think is a bit young - but I also think it's odd to see a child in the nail salon for a mani/pedi, and that's a pretty frequent occurrence)... But if all she's worried about is a pair of Sketchers, I'd say buy the shoes, and pair them with whatever outfits you'd normally buy. Wanting one item is different than an all-consuming "need" for only name-brands.
  • abnerner
    abnerner Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    It sounds young, but I know that my nephew and niece who are 5 and 10 worry about having the same things as other kids, just not so much worried about brands.
  • AlyiEli2017
    AlyiEli2017 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I believe I was in middle school.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    5th grade. My rich kid friends only bought their clothes from Limited Too!
  • Ocarina
    Ocarina Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    I started caring about brands very young. Probably 5th grade. The first brand I was obsessed with was Adidas.

I only do brands for certain items. Jeans. I just have enjoyed the brand and will continue wearing it.

I have store loyalty... I like to be a one stop shopper so I shop at the Maurices store mainly. It doesn't brand itself though so I guess it doesn't really count.

I also enjoy brand Nike stuff. Just an easy way to get a good product usually.

I only get a certain type of purse because of the quality, Vera Bradley. My grandma got me into that.

I used to be A LOT worse. I only used to buy Abercrombie because you could SEE the brand. So stupid! Waste of money and absolute crap quality. I also had certain types of shoes I preferred but they were also very expensive.

Since I'm 24 now I really never care about brand anymore. It's all about quality, look, and price. I will spend more on an item if I find that it is worth it long term. But I have to be able to afford it.