At what age did you start worrying about "brands"

Options
123457»

Replies

• AnitaVolpato
    AnitaVolpato Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    The only brand jeans I have ever seen last were my Lucky Jeans and Paper Denim.. Those are worth the money!

Agreed. My first pair of Lucky jeans lasted 10 years.

I've given away pairs to my nephew who still wears them and they are years old now too.

Weather forecast says it's going to be really cool tomorrow and I hope it is because I've got a couple new pair of Lucky's that I'll fit into now, and want to wear them.

Lucky Jeans are awesome! I have a small waist and big rump and I never have a problem finding a pair that fit me perfectly even now that I am heavier I wear a 30 and they still fit just fine. I recommend them to everyone...... I have found that real "designer" clothes like Versace & Armani etc etc last longer than the regular run of the mill stuff like Gap & A.F. It's better to spend a couple more bucks for something that will last longer. Now days I have a baby so I don't buy expensive stuff for myself because I am too concerned about his clothing and him looking fresh! LOL So I can care less about my clothes now shoes are a different story. My grandfather always said not to ever be cheap with shoes he always told me that cheap shoes are bad for you. You will rarely ever find me wearing a pair of shoes that cost under 40 bucks. I spend money on sneakers also. I don't want jacked up feet or any possible foot problems when I get older... I rarely wear stiletto's anymore because they are starting to hurt.. I am getting old... LOL
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    I'm 28 and I still don't give a **** about what brand I do or don't have >.<
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    Never. Still don't.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    Never. Still don't.
    Same here!

as long as the clothes and shoes dont fall apart while i'm wearing them then i dont care. sometimes brand names last longer and sometimes they aren't worth the $.
  • NavyKnightAh13
    NavyKnightAh13 Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    I was poor growing up (to a point of worrying where our next meal was coming from, was like that until I was 20) and wal mart was a luxury. I was thankful for what my mom was able to give to me, and I'm trying to instill in our son that he doesn't need name brands to be happy. I wear shoes until i get holes (and even then) and my clothes are the same way. And i know that sounds weird, but brand names to me equals the devil because it then becomes a popularity contest, and i personally have never wanted nor will be part of that
  • waffleflavoredtea
    waffleflavoredtea Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I was around 16 when I started caring about brands. But I loved anything Hello Kitty or Sanrio way back to when I was 7. :) I don't consider that the same though, because I watched Hello Kitty the tv show and I loved it because of that.

Obviously it's NOT that the little girl is 'too young' to care about brands, but the environment that's shaped her attitude towards them. At some point someone made an impression on her and now she feels it's necessary to have Sketchers, or maybe her school environment (the kids) tells her without using words that she will be better liked and seen as a cooler kid when she wears sketchers.

If she's in that kind of environment then it's pretty understandable that she's going to want sketchers, for reasons she may not even grasp herself. :)
  • paulaviki
    paulaviki Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    I remember here in the UK there were shoes called Magic Steps that a lot of the girls had in primary school - they were popular because they had little rhinestones on. It was hard to get me out of my trainers though so I don't think I was clamouring for a pair, but they were the thing to have among 5 year old girls at the time. Wasn't the brand, it was just coz they were pretty I think!

I had those! I don't know if it was because of badgering my parents but they were sold in Clarks so were 'good'' shoes!

And re hair products, I was a hairdresser for 10 years including 5 years working for a major product manufacturer who sold both high street and salon products. The majority of them had exactly the same ingredients, the salon brands just had more expensive packaging and perfumes. I've used really expensive products and my hair has never been better than now when I am using Pantene! Different products suit different people and for some people the cheaper ones work as good or better than the pricey ones!
  • PayneAS
    PayneAS Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    At what age did you start worrying about "brands"

NEVER, thank the gods.

I watch all my friends post pictures on Facebook of their latest purse or shoe that cost them a fortune and am so glad I spend my money on something that will last me longer.
  • Cold_Steel
    Cold_Steel Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    Considering I shop at Wal Mart / Target / Ross / Burlington Coat Factory - I dont think it is a brand issue I think it is more of a value issue for me.

Wrangler clothing for whatever reason has worked for me and Merona from target. Seem durable I have not had any issues with them whatsoever so I usually get those -

Faded Glory pretty much all rips
    OP is ok for shorts
    George is terrible with pants and shorts ok for the micro polos and pretty much nothing else -

My wranglers usually out live the Lee / Levis and other pricier varieties... Occasionally I will get a "name" brand from Ross but yeah it is at Ross so i is probably popular 5 years ago...
  • camrunner
    camrunner Posts: 363
    Options
    I know I wanted some Jnco's when I was in 4th grade...

These days the only thing I need to have in a specific brand is running shoes
  • msacurrie
    msacurrie Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    never - there is more to life! id rather save my money!
  • alarae
    alarae Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I'd ask her why she wants them. Maybe she has a reason besides the brand. ;p Well you can hope!
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    Never? I didn't give a crap.I wanted pretty clothes but we got donated clothes (which are usually sweatpants and other weird looking stuff) so I wore weird looking stuff. Better than being naked.
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    I remember when I was in fifth or sixth grade it was Guess and Esprit. It did seem important at the time, and we shopped at goodwill but found the brand name stuff sometimes.
  • katicasi82
    katicasi82 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Children as young as 18 months recognise the golden arches.

"Kids who can’t yet read can recognize the golden arches. In fact, among young kids, 0nly Santa Claus is more recognized than Ronald McDonald."

Scary, true and not surprising considering that advertising was created by Freuds nephew (by both birth and marriage) - the evil genius Edward Bernays!
  • crimsoncat
    crimsoncat Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I think I started worrying about brands in elementary school too, the light up skechers that everyone had I didn't.

This. I started worrying about brands in elementary school and then stopped caring once I grew to about 13. Now I only care with certain brands (ie. make-up, where it makes a difference between nice looking skin and a break out for me).

I wouldn't worry. This too shall pass.
  • tajmel
    tajmel Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    You know, we've actively tried to avoid these kinds of consumerist tendencies, but it's really difficult, maybe even impossible. I was shocked to realize, several years ago, that despite not watching tv or buying any Nikes, my 3 year old knew what they were. Recently he became upset in the store because I wouldn't buy him a toy, which was a first. He's now five.

As with most things, the best you can do is talk to them. You're the primary educator of your children.
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    I didn't worry about them until middle school. And, even then, I didn't want the popular brands, I wanted Converse and Converse were for goths. Oh, and I saved the money to get them myself, I didn't ask my mom for them.
  • AABru
    AABru Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Never...unless you count only shopping at Lane Bryant because nothing else fit me.:grumble:
  • xHelloQuincyx
    xHelloQuincyx Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    i begged my mom to let me dye my hair black in elementary school because all my friends hair was black. she told me i would look like a skunk haha. eventually she let me dye bits of it from like 4th grade up. i still have pink hair haha. i embraced being different. i like that im different. well, with a name like Quincy you cant help but be different in school... lol. oh, by the way, my middle name is Dolores and my last name is 10 + letters long. -.- i think i was set up. i was always too poor to buy brands. i remember being bitter sometimes, but then i just accepted it. prolly around the same time i had to start helping my parents pay their own bills. there are more important things in the world, and i would like to believe that i have found that out. every day i replace an 'i want' statement by just catching myself and repeting back "i just want to be happy". my mom is quite the hippie. all that peace and love yourself stuff haha. i can honestly say my mom has made me the kind, thoughtful, generous, compassionate person i am today. she used to tell me (and i remember it very clear even from such a young age) "If someone gives you a dead fish for Christmas, you thank them and say you can use it as compost or something'. i get furious when my nephew gets a gift and immediately tosses it aside. cursing santa. my mom didnt even believe in lieing to children about anything, let alone santa. same woman who worked with horrible burn victims and wouldn't even flinch. she said she didn't even see any disfigurements, she just sees their true colors. be thankful for everything, and teach thanks. everything is a blessing. i have been homeless before, if all this advice dosnt work maybe you should try that. that will make her appreciate things :p only joking.

as a child development major, i suggest that you instill positive self image and self esteem. get more books about how everyone is good in their own way, and that differences should be celebrated. make her proud to stand out. put comments into every day life. "i like how you chose to color the picture this way. its different, and that's what makes it special to me"