Which fad diet are you on???

Options
A recent experience with a co-worker made me chuckle and I thought I would share.

My office has lunch catered in 2-3 times per month for various events (from mostly unhealthy restaurants). For the last 7 weeks I've prepared and brought my own lunch everyday, regardless of whatever the rest of the office would eat. It didn't take long for people to notice that while they were gorging on BBQ, I was eating chicken, broccoli and rice from a tupperware. Naturally, I had to answer questions like "why aren't you eating the free meal.. blah blah blah" -- Yesterday a co-worker asked what kind of diet I was on:

"Are you doing Atkins? South Beach? [A few other diets I'd never heard of]???"

"Nope.." I simply explained that I educated myself on proper nutrition and created a diet that suited both my tastes and lifestyle.

*45 second pause/silence/blank stare*

"So you came up with it on your own?? How much weight have you lost??"

"Over 25 pounds and the best part is that I eat ice cream almost everyday."

*MIND EXPLODES*

Finding balanced nutrition doesn't mean buying a program you saw advertised on late night television. Take the time to learn how many calories you need to achieve your goals and what foods you enjoy and allow you to be healthy. Diets are only torturous if you let them be. Take control. The sooner you realize this is a lifestyle change, the faster you'll be at peace with yourself and the faster you'll reach your goals.

Replies

• Elen_Sia
    Elen_Sia Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    Agree 100% :flowerforyou:
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    mind-blown.jpg
  • @ejean86 BAHAHAHA Where did you get a pic of my co-worker :D
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    I was the guy, in the bush, with the big camera... and the trench coat and big, dark glasses.
  • DizzyNurse
    Options
    Hahaha, that's awesome! I only started my healthy lifestyle two weeks ago but have already had to deal with similar questions. I tell them that I am not on a "diet" but that I have made some healthy changes to my eating habits and have incorporated exercise into my life and decreased alcohol consumption--- Met with that same blank stare :noway:

They don't get it now but when I'm healthy, fit and running in the races I want to do they will :-)
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Wait? You don't have to throw a ton of money away on some magic pills or secret shakes or fairy dust to lose weight?! For reals?! Just eat healthy??? Noooooo..... :tongue:
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Great post.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Great story!
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    A recent experience with a co-worker made me chuckle and I thought I would share.

My office has lunch catered in 2-3 times per month for various events (from mostly unhealthy restaurants). For the last 7 weeks I've prepared and brought my own lunch everyday, regardless of whatever the rest of the office would eat. It didn't take long for people to notice that while they were gorging on BBQ, I was eating chicken, broccoli and rice from a tupperware. Naturally, I had to answer questions like "why aren't you eating the free meal.. blah blah blah" -- Yesterday a co-worker asked what kind of diet I was on:

"Are you doing Atkins? South Beach? [A few other diets I'd never heard of]???"

"Nope.." I simply explained that I educated myself on proper nutrition and created a diet that suited both my tastes and lifestyle.

*45 second pause/silence/blank stare*

"So you came up with it on your own?? How much weight have you lost??"

"Over 25 pounds and the best part is that I eat ice cream almost everyday."

*MIND EXPLODES*

Finding balanced nutrition doesn't mean buying a program you saw advertised on late night television. Take the time to learn how many calories you need to achieve your goals and what foods you enjoy and allow you to be healthy. Diets are only torturous if you let them be. Take control. The sooner you realize this is a lifestyle change, the faster you'll be at peace with yourself and the faster you'll reach your goals.

Quite possibly the best post I've ever read here.
  • robinogue
    robinogue Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Every time someone suggest I go to our local "Medical Weight Loss" Clinic (no carb deal) or try HCG, I want to punch them.
  • PittShkr
    PittShkr Posts: 1,000 Member
    Options
    Im on BBV it seems to work but im really craving some Prego Pee right now!
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Great post! I am lucky that my work has catered lunch every day and is health conscious about it. Lean meats, lots of vegetables, etc. Every now and then they bring in things like fried chicken, but not all the time.

Got me to start eating fish!
  • cubizzle
    cubizzle Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Whatever. Dr. OZ guides me, and your negativity can't stop him or his minions!!!
  • morgansmom02
    morgansmom02 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    CRAP! I just bought unicorn cream to spot reduce my stomach!
  • Cntrygal81
    Cntrygal81 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Fantastic story - I encountered the same thing when I started because I chose not to gorge myself at the monthly departmental feed. I took the few things I really wanted and left the rest behind and was accused of - oh no - dieting! I told them I wasn't dieting but making a life change in my habits. I'm sure they thought it wouldn't last, but 40 pounds and 8 months says differently!
  • alexis831
    alexis831 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    HAH! Very good writing!

That is what I get at work too. The best one is... YOUR EATING THAT MANY CARBS! AHHH or... your gonna eat that twix bar?? You are not going to loose any weight doing that! And it is so unhealthy! AHHH! :) Usually said by a VERY overweight person.

Oh and I like my ice cream too and I am keeping it. :) So many people are "healthy eaters" and over weight. Hah... this is funny to me. Imagine that... no fad just a deficit!
  • 1Kristine1
    1Kristine1 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    Wait? You don't have to throw a ton of money away on some magic pills or secret shakes or fairy dust to lose weight?! For reals?! Just eat healthy??? Noooooo..... :tongue:
    Lol
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Sometimes people just won't take "eating healthy" for an answer so if I have to put a label on it I tell them I am exercising and counting my calories. 9 out of 10 times the response is .... "so you don't eat carbs?" :huh: really?!? Sometimes I just say "yes, except for fish" That confuses them enough to change the subject :smile:
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I'm on the "eat all the sausage" diet.