Don't bite my head off here.....

Options

Replies

• elijhasmomma
    elijhasmomma Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I have Xanax & tequila. Would you like some?

hey, i guess if it gets me to 1200cals :bigsmile:

if you wanna go that route throw the tequila in a margarita, the mixes have many more calories than the alcohol itself! ;) lol

on a serious note.. keep your protein up and u might want to up your carbs a bit to fuel those workouts(not slamming the ketose types-just my opinion) other than that, I've heard that a larger deficient can work short term for people with a lot of weight to lose. I personally had to cut my cardio because I couldn't eat enough and ended up feeling like crap, if you're still feeling good, I think short term wouldn't be terrible, but I'd think going heavy protein and carb(healthy carbs) would be a good idea.

I would suggest that you slow down a little bit on the cardio and start slowly increasing your food intake, cuz you're on a collision course right now, and it's likely going to be a crash diet which isn't going to help you long term.

I think if you didn't think there was something wrong with how you're doing things you wouldn't have made this post. :) I do wish you luck!

~*~Just my unprofessional opinion as always
    <3 Josie

EDIT- just a side note that I am never hungry... I'm usually full, but I eat what I know I need to anyways and feel so much better than when I was listening to my body.. j/s the whole eat when hungry doesn't work for everyone.(I'm sure i'd be hungry if I didn't eat for like two days... maybe...)

THANK YOU JOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSIE!! :flowerforyou:

This is more of an answer I was looking for. Not in the words or answer you gave per say, but the WAY and MANNER in which you said it. i do eat lots of proteins, i love vegetables and fruits and meats. fish not so much but i love chicken and ham and steaks all in moderation. i eat protein bars as im looking to invest in a good blender to start the protein shakes. i suppose I can try cutting my cardio to just the 742cals burned mfp wants for me daily and then net at least 1300 a day (now that i fully understand what im reaching for, net or before exercise #) might be a nice change lol:bigsmile:
  • aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    Calling some of us jerks before-hand...probably not going to get the best responses after that. :laugh:

But really.. if you didn't know that netting so low is bad then you probably wouldn't be asking. It may seem fine for now but in the long run you'll only be doing more harm than good. To answer the "Is it really that bad?", in my opinion yes. But you will get so many different responses. I know I went through a range of problems after losing all my weight and not eating enough to hit a good net target. Do a little research for yourself on it rather than subject yourself to the 'jerks' of mfp. And like a couple of the others said, you might be overestimating your calorie burns as well. Unless your doing some intense stuff, mfp, cardio machines, and other calculators are often off a good bit sometimes. They don't take into account so many factors that are different in every individual.

oohh le sigh--i didnt say EVERYONE was a jerk jeez..ppl. I said SOME of the ppl can be real jerks and they can. but yes, i had questions only because this is a place where obviously some ppl know what to do and some dont. i just wanted some extra insight, a little extra knowledge "constructive criticism" (to quote myself) on what i was doing. to be honest all these diff numbers had me confused. i just knew what i was eating, what i was burning, and what mfp showed me to net..then i start reading aboout how its bad and u need to eat 1200 a day..i was confused as in..1200 what? 1200 net, 1200 before exercise..and i just knew i ate and still felt fine, not HANGRY as some ppl said, so i thought id ask.

listen if i was HANGRY i would go EEET mkay? :bigsmile: but im not so i wont :happy:

I guess you didn't see the part in my first sentence where I acknowledged the fact that you said SOME? "Calling SOME of us jerks before-hand..." <--See there? haha

Well if your just going to do it your way anyways, why ask? XP Maybe if you aren't hungry enough to eat more when you really need to, perhaps you should incorporate more nutrient dense high calorie stuff like nuts, etc. Less to eat and you'll still reap the benefits of getting the calories your body needs. Eating too little is so bad because you at least have to get the calories that your body needs just to function properly.
  • elijhasmomma
    Options
    Calling some of us jerks before-hand...probably not going to get the best responses after that. :laugh:

But really.. if you didn't know that netting so low is bad then you probably wouldn't be asking. It may seem fine for now but in the long run you'll only be doing more harm than good. To answer the "Is it really that bad?", in my opinion yes. But you will get so many different responses. I know I went through a range of problems after losing all my weight and not eating enough to hit a good net target. Do a little research for yourself on it rather than subject yourself to the 'jerks' of mfp. And like a couple of the others said, you might be overestimating your calorie burns as well. Unless your doing some intense stuff, mfp, cardio machines, and other calculators are often off a good bit sometimes. They don't take into account so many factors that are different in every individual.

oohh le sigh--i didnt say EVERYONE was a jerk jeez..ppl. I said SOME of the ppl can be real jerks and they can. but yes, i had questions only because this is a place where obviously some ppl know what to do and some dont. i just wanted some extra insight, a little extra knowledge "constructive criticism" (to quote myself) on what i was doing. to be honest all these diff numbers had me confused. i just knew what i was eating, what i was burning, and what mfp showed me to net..then i start reading aboout how its bad and u need to eat 1200 a day..i was confused as in..1200 what? 1200 net, 1200 before exercise..and i just knew i ate and still felt fine, not HANGRY as some ppl said, so i thought id ask.

listen if i was HANGRY i would go EEET mkay? :bigsmile: but im not so i wont :happy:

I guess you didn't see the part in my first sentence where I acknowledged the fact that you said SOME? "Calling SOME of us jerks before-hand..." <--See there? haha

Well if your just going to do it your way anyways, why ask? XP Maybe if you aren't hungry enough to eat more when you really need to, perhaps you should incorporate more nutrient dense high calorie stuff like nuts, etc. Less to eat and you'll still reap the benefits of getting the calories your body needs. Eating too little is so bad because you at least have to get the calories that your body needs just to function properly.

aha! touche` :drinker: lol

calorie dense nutrient dense....i see that a lot, yet dnt really understand what it would mean. i do take a vitamin each night before bed too..and i know nuts are good for "healthy fats" and nutrients..
  • aproc
    Options

calorie dense nutrient dense....i see that a lot, yet dnt really understand what it would mean. i do take a vitamin each night before bed too..and i know nuts are good for "healthy fats" and nutrients..
    It just means things that are healthy and have a hig calorie count for a relatively small amount. Just like nuts are around 170-200 calories for just a 1/4 cup serving. Doesn't feel like your eating much at all. Avocados are a good thing to add to dishes as well. They both have higher fat content and fat has 9 calories per gram versus the 4 calories per gram for carbs and proteins. So choosing healthy foods with higher fat contents can help a lot. I never like to drink my calories but that would be an easy option as well to get more calories in when your not hungry. I always just add peanut butter or almond butter to everything if I need more calories. :wink:
  • DianneBoo
    DianneBoo Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Just try to make sure you net 1200+ calories (after you take off what you burn) per day. A minimum of 1200 net/day should be your goal (on the low side).

I burn anywhere from 600-1200 calories a day, but I am still netting at least 1500 calories a day. I am 5'5 and currently weigh 260 pounds. I was 311 pounds on January 15th of this year. I have lost 51 pounds total (35 since I joined MFP).

I am always under my calorie goal...but I ALWAYS have a net of at least 1500. I make myself eat three meals a day and at least 2 snacks.

If you are not hungry, it is hard to eat. And, I am normally not hungry after my last walk of the day, which is usually around 9-9:30pm. So, I make sure I get my calories in well before hand.

I hope this helps and I wish you much luck! :)
  • elijhasmomma
    Options

It just means things that are healthy and have a hig calorie count for a relatively small amount. Just like nuts are around 170-200 calories for just a 1/4 cup serving. Doesn't feel like your eating much at all. Avocados are a good thing to add to dishes as well. They both have higher fat content and fat has 9 calories per gram versus the 4 calories per gram for carbs and proteins. So choosing healthy foods with higher fat contents can help a lot. I never like to drink my calories but that would be an easy option as well to get more calories in when your not hungry. I always just add peanut butter or almond butter to everything if I need more calories. :wink:

LIGHT BULB--i forget i only drink water. i guess i can start throwin in some redw ine a glass or two every now and again and some V8 smoothie juices. it's like...hey i have chocolate in my fridge right now, peanut butter too, but i was repulsed when it said 210cals for 2 tbsp like wth...i guess im stuckin the mode of chocolate-bad...fat-bad. which after being on here i have learned thta dietary fat is not bad for u (to an extent of course). guess ill be picking up some glazed walnuts or something ot start packin on those cals...see i can adjust lol
  • aproc
    Options

LIGHT BULB--i forget i only drink water. i guess i can start throwin in some redw ine a glass or two every now and again and some V8 smoothie juices. it's like...hey i have chocolate in my fridge right now, peanut butter too, but i was repulsed when it said 210cals for 2 tbsp like wth...i guess im stuckin the mode of chocolate-bad...fat-bad. which after being on here i have learned thta dietary fat is not bad for u (to an extent of course). guess ill be picking up some glazed walnuts or something ot start packin on those cals...see i can adjust lol

Lol. :laugh: Wine and chocolate. Not exactly what I meant but I guess that would do it too! haha. Yeah, I always get hung up on the 190 calories per 2 tbsp but it's so yummy so I get over it. Fats are an essential thing in the diet. But the type of fat is important. ;P It's best to make sure most of your fats come from good foods and not just processed stuff or sweets.
    Have you tried the odwalla drinks? I've been eyeing their fruit smoothies and chocolate protein drinks. But I just can't drink my calories. I love eating too much so I never buy them. :tongue:
  • JosieRawr
    JosieRawr Posts: 788 Member
    Options

hey, i guess if it gets me to 1200cals :bigsmile:

if you wanna go that route throw the tequila in a margarita, the mixes have many more calories than the alcohol itself! ;) lol

on a serious note.. keep your protein up and u might want to up your carbs a bit to fuel those workouts(not slamming the ketose types-just my opinion) other than that, I've heard that a larger deficient can work short term for people with a lot of weight to lose. I personally had to cut my cardio because I couldn't eat enough and ended up feeling like crap, if you're still feeling good, I think short term wouldn't be terrible, but I'd think going heavy protein and carb(healthy carbs) would be a good idea.

I would suggest that you slow down a little bit on the cardio and start slowly increasing your food intake, cuz you're on a collision course right now, and it's likely going to be a crash diet which isn't going to help you long term.

I think if you didn't think there was something wrong with how you're doing things you wouldn't have made this post. :) I do wish you luck!

~*~Just my unprofessional opinion as always
    <3 Josie

EDIT- just a side note that I am never hungry... I'm usually full, but I eat what I know I need to anyways and feel so much better than when I was listening to my body.. j/s the whole eat when hungry doesn't work for everyone.(I'm sure i'd be hungry if I didn't eat for like two days... maybe...)

THANK YOU JOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSIE!! :flowerforyou:

This is more of an answer I was looking for. Not in the words or answer you gave per say, but the WAY and MANNER in which you said it. i do eat lots of proteins, i love vegetables and fruits and meats. fish not so much but i love chicken and ham and steaks all in moderation. i eat protein bars as im looking to invest in a good blender to start the protein shakes. i suppose I can try cutting my cardio to just the 742cals burned mfp wants for me daily and then net at least 1300 a day (now that i fully understand what im reaching for, net or before exercise #) might be a nice change lol:bigsmile:
    You're welcome :) how about a little more unsolicited advice
    I've heard that about .75 grams per pound of lean tissue(if you do a body fat percentage they usually estimate your lean tissue) is a good goal for someone not trying to bulk up, but not trying to lose a bunch of muscle either. I pretty much eat my day around my protein, and I usually exceed my goal. I don't care if I go over in fat(usually if I do it's because my almonds/peanuts/sunflower seeds/peanut butter) and I don't care if I go over on carbs(I eat very little sugary stuff, usually pasta n veggies n bread are 90% of my carbs) I've only went over on my calories once(damn 1700 calorie shake!)
    I'm more inclined to under eat than over eat (my weight gain is in the winter, holidays n lots of bday parties- this is my first and only attempt at regulating that, I was never a dieter and have never counted my calories before, but this works for me and I hope you find what works for you too) and it definitely takes some reprograming when we start exercising. Feel free to add me if you want to.
    (p.s. easy to eat calorie rich food for when I'm not hungry- 2tbs peanut butter 1tbs honey(or w/e) 1 slice of bread 1 cup of milk(i use 2% so calorie may vary)= 470 calories)
  • Apocalypse_Meow
    Apocalypse_Meow Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy, but if you aren't hungry, don't eat. If you've eaten 1600 cals in a day and worked out but still arent hungry you're just not hungry. Eating when I'm not hungry is how I got overweight in the first place I don't intend to let anyone tell me to eat when I'm not hungry.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    So you don't want rude people.. but yet you tell people to shove it.. Pot calling the kettle black anyone?

Anyway, back to your question.. if it's one day, no I don't think it will be a problem.

My question is, are you basing your calories of TDEE or what MFP gives you? If it's TDEE then exercise is already included, and you don't need to eat those calories back. If it's based of what MFP gives you, then you should prob. eat some of those calories back depending on how much you need to lose.

Also, how are you calculating exercise? Because 700-1200 calories for workouts sounds a bit out there..

HEY, it's MY forum post thanks. And the comment was meant toward RUDE PPL. and for the person who said I IMPLIED everyone was rude..I SAID--i read the forums and SOME of the ppl can be real JERKS...*end rant

I don't like to eat my calories back. I try not to unless I net super low around 245 or so. I have 120lbs to lose--and i DONT use MFP numbers, I use the zumba site for my cals until i get my HRM and I use the running and walking "headqurters" site to calculate and have a diff site to calculate my cleaning cals burned which I ONLY log if Im doing it for more then an hour and am breaking a sweat. 700-1200 isnt high when you consider I may Zumba for 20-40 mins high intensity and then jog/walk 30-40mins in the same day. Some days I do more--i.e. Zumba 40 mins-(660 cals by my weight and intensity) C25K program 30mins-(321 cals mix of walking/jogging.warm up) and then I may walk with my son in the evening 30-45mins (around 300-350cals for my weight) so uhmm yeah that right there is about 1200..I might not do all three every day but I do at least 2 EVERY DAY (7x a week) hence the 700-1200 range given.

I go by what MFP sets. My TDEE is 24855...mfp wants me to "net" i suppose 1590 a day...I cant do that AND burn all the cals I do (which I enjoy Zumba and jogging). I may have eaten 1650 but once I burn say..920..I'm netting 730cals...I've already eaten ALL my meals including snacks. Why would I force myself to eat those back at night, especially before going to bed??

I eat the protein bars and I incorporate vegetables and fruits in all my days. I eat plenty protein (pass the steak and chicken pls!!) And I often have my carbs under 180g and try to keep fat under 75g) I haven't done my weigh in yet as I will do my first one on the same scale I took my weight on when I began (at my drs office) on the 20th. I guess I will know then what will work for me and what won't. Like I stated, this isn't something I plan to keep doing long term...as I lose weight and go on to learn more, I can start to balance things out better I suppose and try different foods or whatever.

Jeez everyone getting butthurt cuz I asked ppl not to be rude-this is a "community" for support right? Stop being so damn uptight. :noway: I don't care what you do on other people's or your own stuff, but I don't wanna see that mess. If I wanted someone to talk to me like I was an idiot I'd have made one of the smartass forum topics SOME of you ppl go back and start to make fun of someone who is just trying to learn and you probably knocked what little self confidence they had to a negative integer...BECAUSE...as I recall, the person I am quoting in this post, someone made fun of something you posted about not burning fat from exercise right?? And you got butthurt they "didn't give you credit" or "understand" what you were saying..:huh: Kinda rude ain't it

I think you are going to be shocked when you get your HRM.. ESP if you get a decent one and not a cheap one.

Your telling me that by Zumba's website you burn 16.5 calories a minute doing high intensity Zumba? That is really high to me... no matter how larger of a person you are.

Also, when I do C25K, and I weigh 150 pounds my burn according to my HRM is around where yours is most days... and generally heavier people tend to burn more then thinner people.. so I'd really check into those websites you are using.
  • LoseFatGainMuscle
    Options
    Oh and what does it look like if you go by week? Are you netting a good value at the end?

For the first week (july 27th thru aug 2nd) i netted 4,759cals but burned 7,432cals.
    For the week just ending (aug 3rd thru aug 9th) i netted 4,947 cals and burned 6,222 cals...

My daily nets usually hover in the 700's but now i fele bad so I made myself eat a piece of sausage and bread LMBO :grumble:

this is craziness. i know i cnt sustain life this way, but as im so overly weight..le sigh-i am 277lbs as of july 23rd at 5'9...i want to work on droppin as much as i can quickly, then tapering off to start the 1-2lbs a week loss and start lifting. I feel fine, I never feel weak or that I am going to pass out. If my numbers are correct...

I had a weekly deficit the first week of 20,068 which is = to 5.7lbs and this past week i had a deficit of 18,496 = to 5.2lbs. I honestly TRY to eat. But before I got pregnant and gained all this weight (i use to be 180)-i was running 1-2 hrs a day and only eating 1600 cals a day and dropped like 24lbs in a month. (i was 220 before the loss) then i got pregnant., I didnt calculate or monitor. I simply wrote down what I ate to make sure it was 4meals of 400cals each.

I do not follow the net calories. I follow a TDEE deficit and yes when you are bigger you are gonna burn more calories. I have lost 50lbs in 6 months and i dont worry bout net calories. My health is fine and yes it has been checked out by my dr. Good luck and try not to stress out on numbers so much.

Eat when you are hungry but make it fresh unprocessed foods you prepare
    Workout when you want to
    Enjoy your life, if you dont overeat and exercise you will lose the weight

Stressing out with halt your progress.
  • wgn4166
    wgn4166 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    This made me LOL
  • siliisobel
    Options
    This! If your hungry your body will tell you, if you need more energy you will feel it. If you are feeling ok then dont worry too much about it.
    if you're hungry, you're hungry. if you're not, you're not. just listen to your body's natural cravings. don't feel like you have to answer to complete strangers just because you netted a small amount of calories. like you said, there are some self-righteous people on here who think they know all about food and everyone's body because they read a bunch of stuff on the internet. and then there are people who are just along for the ride and practice diff'rent strokes. you're not going to screw up anything if your body is telling you that it doesn't need anymore food. you would have to do some crazy damage to screw up your metabolism. in fact, some sources say there's no possible way to screw it up. just do what makes you happy and healthy.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    Your diary isn't open so it's difficult to try to help you.

So I'm going to answer the basic/simple question with a basic/simple answer.

Eat more calorie dense foods.

This, and make sure you're burned calorie estimates are accurate. Some are way off. Some are pretty good.

I never agreed with "just listen to your body." Listening to my body is what got me overweight and underweight at different times in my life. My body thinks cake is a great breakfast and would eat pizza 7 times a week. My body can also easily forget to eat all day if I'm busy. My body is stupid.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options
    OK, so here's the deal. Obviously I'm not great with fitness, or I wouldn't have let myself get to the weight I am now at 5'9. So..yes, I have mfp set to lose 2lbs a week, so I know I already have a 1,000cal deficit a day. My TDEE is 2485. I am sedentary. When I'm not doing my workouts, I am on the couch or in a chair doing homework on my lap top. Might be up playing with my son, but not so much that it would cause such a big difference.

Here's the deal, I burn anywhere between 700-1200 cals a day when I do my workouts. (I know some may say well hey, you're not sedentary, you're lightly active blah blah..no, I'm really not ok?) I usually do my biggest burn after my son goes to bed and I have more time. I eat throughout the day-I swear I do. I usually eat about 1700-1800cals a day but of course after my evening workout, I'm down to netting mmmmm about 250-700 cals. But the thing is, since I'm doing the biggest workout before shower and bed, I'm not hungry throughout the day. My first workout is done right after lunch so I get hungry, have a snack, eat dinner. Work out, cals get low so I have a light snack and then shower and bed....

Is it REALLY that bad that I'm netting that low before bed?:huh: I'm not hungry..I feel fine. We're talking about somebody who is in the 40's for a Body Mas Index-yup they classified my fat *kitten* (pun intended) as obese. :grumble:

And hey, I don't need smart *kitten* comments, I don't need negativity. Constructive criticism is always welcome, or I wouldn't be asking, but I read a lot of these forums and some of you people can be real JERKS.:grumble:

So as a foreword-if you have something smart to say you can just shove it..mkay? :bigsmile:

Lol you arent sedentary.
    You think you are but your body doesnt.

Want to lose weight then set yourself up for success and go light to moderate.

I have old women losing more than you eating more than you.
  • mikejacobs1958
    Options
    I think OP is Hangry...

"Hangry"
    Lovely play with letters & words !
    Nice one !
  • TheLessOfMe
    TheLessOfMe Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I've had people "worrying" about my low nets. The way I see it is if I listen to my body I shouldn't worry too much about the final numbers. If i'm hungry (and have spare calories) I eat. If I'm not, I don't!

Also I don't know how you calculate your calories burned but the ones on the MFP database already are exagerated a tad, so I also don't want to force myself to eat all the cals back and end up being over my daily target!
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    I'd be wary of the burn for Zumba as posted on the Zumba sites - they're got a product to sell, remember? You might be closer using "Dancing, general" here. Even at my heaviest I'd struggle to burn more than 10 calories per minute doing my hardest workouts.

No problem with a setting of 2lbs a week if you've got a lot to lose, but consider reducing it as you get closer to your goal. Do consider that is relatively aggressive loss, so it's worth eating at least a good proportion of your exercise calories - say 80% to allow a margin of error - so you don't feel hungry and have more energy to work out.

In MFP's settings, your exercise is not included in your activity level. I'm sedentary as I have a desk job, but I can log 800 cals running or circuit training on workout days.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options
    I've had people "worrying" about my low nets. The way I see it is if I listen to my body I shouldn't worry too much about the final numbers. If i'm hungry (and have spare calories) I eat. If I'm not, I don't!

Also I don't know how you calculate your calories burned but the ones on the MFP database already are exagerated a tad, so I also don't want to force myself to eat all the cals back and end up being over my daily target!

Where does ghrelin, neuropeptide-Y and galanin come into play?

Listen folks, most humans 5'1" and up can maintain weight in the 2000 range.
    If you are eating 1000-1200 daily and you arent hungry and are above 5'1" then you probably have hormonal issues that later down the road will result in bigger health issues.
    Overcome your fora of food and for the love of GOD understand how food interacts with your body.
    Food isnt the enemy.
    YOUR knowledge of how it interacts with your body is.

Just because you arent hungry doesnt mean you are getting the proper nutrition to lose weight and have a healthy body.
    Also think on this:

If you give your bodies a reason NOT to have excess fat then it will go away.

The reasons are this:

Ample food
    Proper hormones
    An active lifestyle

I have people losing pounds a week eating 1600-3k a day due to the above 3 reasons.
    They lose fat and maintain lean mass.

No brainer right?
  • fishergreen
    fishergreen Posts: 109 Member
    Options

Where does ghrelin, neuropeptide-Y and galanin come into play?

Listen folks, most humans 5'1" and up can maintain weight in the 2000 range.
    If you are eating 1000-1200 daily and you arent hungry and are above 5'1" then you probably have hormonal issues that later down the road will result in bigger health issues.
    Overcome your fora of food and for the love of GOD understand how food interacts with your body.
    Food isnt the enemy.
    YOUR knowledge of how it interacts with your body is.

Just because you arent hungry doesnt mean you are getting the proper nutrition to lose weight and have a healthy body.
    Also think on this:

If you give your bodies a reason NOT to have excess fat then it will go away.

The reasons are this:

Ample food
    Proper hormones
    An active lifestyle

I have people losing pounds a week eating 1600-3k a day due to the above 3 reasons.
    They lose fat and maintain lean mass.

No brainer right?

He has absolutely great advice, OP you should listen to him. Good luck!