Were you sporty as a child?

13»

Replies

• FuneralDiner
    FuneralDiner Posts: 438 Member
    I used to do a ton of swimming, then when I got very self-conscious about my body, I stopped. :(

Hopefully when I slim down I can get back into it again. It's been too long.
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    I hated sports.............still do..............especially team ones.

Was never active till I hit my 30's and I mostly do things to help me get and stay in shape like cardio and strength training.
  • stfriend
    stfriend Posts: 256 Member
    No! I hated team sports. I used to run and play as a kid and do somersaults and things. I rode my bike a lot and I loved to roller skate but sports, nada. I'm not competitive enough for it. Neither are my girls but I have a hard time trying to find things for them to do. They'll walk with me on the trails and now they're marching with the band so thats something I guess.
  • Angie__1MR
    Angie__1MR Posts: 388 Member
    <--- not the least bit athletic, ever
  • cheerforsteelers
    cheerforsteelers Posts: 686 Member
    Definitely sporty. Team sports...I'm competitive! I was on a swim team, soccer, basketball, field hockey, dance. I still love to play sports and I think I'm good at them overall.
  • arielian
    arielian Posts: 200
    I did swimming from kindergarten all the way up to my senior year of h.s. I'm so glad I did!
  • stfriend
    stfriend Posts: 256 Member
    I was not athletic at all, and now I love running. Odd. My PE teacher wouldn't believe it if he knew :)

Neither would mine, lol. But PE is another ball of wax. They seem to focus only on team sports, with the odd dance number thrown in. It took me awhile in high school to remember that exercise didn't necessarily have to mean sports (and all the bullying that went on in PE).
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    I played lots of sports as a kid but I sucked at everything except running. I was fast and fit but no coordination for baseball and basketball. LOL
  • I didn't start out hating sports, but by the time I graduated from high school, I pretty much loathed all sports with a passion. Years of ridicule and being the fat kid in gym class will do that for you. I do enjoy playing tennis which I started doing in college. Even when I'm being active, I refuse to play team sports, even in casual settings like at family reunions. Because there is always, ALWAYS, ALWAYYYYSSS some *kitten* that's super-competitive and a total ****weed, and since I am no longer forced by teachers to put up with that **** during "friendly games of volleyball", I don't do it anymore. But I'm all for solo or partner sports like tennis, biking, running, etc. I get my "team mentality" on in music ensembles, and frankly I'm glad that I got really good at music while other kids got good at basketball :)
  • Yep,
    Soccer - nearly turned professional,
    Rugby,
    Athletics - decathlon,
    Then Joined the Marines.

Was very fit - the slipped by the wayside,
  • Scorpioangel
    Scorpioangel Posts: 951 Member
    Not sporty at all!
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    I was always strong. Much stronger than any of the other girls. I remember being the only girl at my prep school who could do proper press ups rather than the girly ones. But the schools I went to always put the emphasis on team sports. I was good at long jump and shot put, but they weren't done competitively. And I was good at 400m running, but girls weren't allowed to do 400m. We had to do 100 or 200 and I really don't sprint, or cross country, which exacerbated my asthma. I was always completely useless at ball sports. If someone throws a hard object at you fast, surely the natural human reaction is to dodge it, not try to catch it!

But rowing I was good at. It's all about strength, stamina and consistency, and I have those in abundance.
  • fteale
    I have to admit, I love the fact that now at 35 I am way way fitter than all the sporty girls at school. Who cares if you are good at tennis at 18 if you can't run for a bus at 30?
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    i loved dancing, swimming, and gymnastics
  • fteale
    I was not athletic at all, and now I love running. Odd. My PE teacher wouldn't believe it if he knew :)

Neither would mine, lol. But PE is another ball of wax. They seem to focus only on team sports, with the odd dance number thrown in. It took me awhile in high school to remember that exercise didn't necessarily have to mean sports (and all the bullying that went on in PE).

What is with the team sports obsession at school? I have always and will always HATE team sports.

What is softball?
  • peachyxoxoxo
    peachyxoxoxo Posts: 1,178 Member
    I did softball for 5 years in elementary and middle school, but that's it. I was never athletic.