Benefits of Giving Up Diet Coke.

Options
I currently drink about 3 diets cokes every day. I also drink lots of water. I started driking diet coke because it was zero calories and it gave me my soda fix. I am considering giving it up but I think its going to be tough. What are the benefits of giving it up that I can look foward to? Is it worth it?

Replies

• FireBrand80
    FireBrand80 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Fewer bathroom trips
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    Save some money
    Other than that I could not tell you, I still drink it
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    I love my diet pop! I'm never giving it up! :drinker:
  • Netterz0087
    Netterz0087 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I have no solid evidence for this but this is what steers me away from it...I think about the amount of chemicals that go into the soda to make it taste the same but take out the calories and I can't imagine that's good for your body at all.

Now. That may be very inaccurate but that's what I believe and it works for me lol
  • dan95130
    dan95130 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Diet coke is a diuretic which could dehydrate you faster than drinking equivilent amounts of water.
  • drmerc
    Options
    I have no solid evidence for this but this is what steers me away from it...I think about the amount of chemicals that go into the soda to make it taste the same but take out the calories and I can't imagine that's good for your body at all.

Now. That may be very inaccurate but that's what I believe and it works for me lol

Please tell me which diet soda tastes the same, I'd like to buy some
  • drmerc
    Options
    Diet coke is a diuretic which could dehydrate you faster than drinking equivilent amounts of water.

There is not enough caffeine in diet soda to dehydrate you
    There's water in it too
  • FireBrand80
    FireBrand80 Posts: 378 Member
    Options

um, yeah, no
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    Less junky crap in your body.
  • RipperSB
    RipperSB Posts: 315 Member
    Options

From livestrong.com: While caffeine can be dehydrating, drinking diet sodas that contain caffeine in moderate amounts should not dehydrate you significantly. For caffeine to have noticeable effects, you have to drink a lot of it -- anywhere from 500 to 600 milligrams, according to MayoClinic.com. Because a 12-ounce diet cola contains about 45 milligrams of caffeine, you would have to drink at least 11 12-ounce diet sodas to drink enough caffeine for it to be dehydrating.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/535800-does-drinking-diet-soda-make-you-dehydrated/#ixzz23BBtnIun
  • mgobluetx12
    mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Diet Coke and Diet Pepsi have TONS of chemicals in them compared with other diet soft drinks (root beer or diet rite). There are many articles online about the negative effects of these chemicals...look on Google.
  • Netterz0087
    Options

Please tell me which diet soda tastes the same, I'd like to buy some

Hey -- Some people swear that Diet Coke tastes the same! Honestly, I've only ever had Diet Mt. Dew and that was nasty, but some people believe they can't taste a difference. I rarely drink soda but when I do, it's definitely not diet.
  • dwh77tx
    dwh77tx Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    agreed on the bathroom trips! I had to give it up to help my bladder. I miss it though!!
  • drmerc
    Options
    Diet Coke and Diet Pepsi have TONS of chemicals in them compared with other diet soft drinks (root beer or diet rite). There are many articles online about the negative effects of these chemicals...look on Google.

I'm pretty sure all sodas (and any other food for that matter) are made up of chemicals
  • panamos08
    panamos08 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I believe the problem with diet sodas is the amount of sodium in them. The sodium causes you to retain water which in turn gives you that bloated look.
  • drmerc
    Options
    I believe the problem with diet sodas is the amount of sodium in them. The sodium causes you to retain water which in turn gives you that bloated look.

1 can of diet coke has 40mg of sodium

That's not much
  • icesk8ermom
    icesk8ermom Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    agreed on the bathroom trips! I had to give it up to help my bladder. I miss it though!!

I don't know about this....I was an avid Diet coke drinker with little to none water drinker. I now drink 1, maybe 2 diet cokes a week and I think I live in the bathroom ever more so now! (been doing this for 6+ weeks now so I think my body should be used to it by now)
  • lax75
    lax75 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I know that everyone's body reacts differently to various foods, but when I had some issues with liver tests, the doctor had me reduce all sorts of foods to see if we could eliminate whatever was bothering it. (No other evidence of disease as a cause.) My numbers are great now (took about 4 weeks and they've stayed good for more than a year), and the only thing I cut out that hasn't been added back again is diet soda (Pepsi). To me that's proof enough that at least for my body there was something in there hurtful to my liver, so I'll stick with water, milk and tea.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Since some people here have bought into the popular belief that artificial sweeteners are completely safe, if I were you, I'd go do some research. Also, look at how substances get approved for market, and who the decision makers are and what conflicts of interest they might have. Look at things that challenge what you already believe, look at everything as long as they have reputable sources. Read the sources too.

I think you will have trouble quiting Diet Coke, and my research into the issue has found that diet colas do NOT help weight loss, and likely stimilate people to eat/weigh more (issues with insulin and biochemstry). However, in my personal opinion only, I think you will be much better off without it.

I love bubbly and fizzy too. Club soda with lemon, lime, or small amounts of other juice is satisfying for me.
  • Netterz0087
    Options
    Honestly....I think the only difference is diet uses no calorie sweeteners like Equal or NutraSweet. Regular soda uses regular sugar.

Studies have shown that when you eat a low-calorie food that tastes like it has a lot of calories, the body ends up craving what it hasn't received, so your appetite may be stimulated, and cause you to eat more. So indirectly it could cause weight gain I guess if you want to justify it that way.