How Often Do YOu Weigh Yourself?

Options
Daily, weekly or something else? I was reading that it's not a good idea to weigh yourself daily?

I do it every day and like knowing where I'm at.

Your thoughts?

Replies

• rachellanae11
    Options
    I weigh myself everyday, first thing in the morning I also like to know where im at....Its kind of a secret obsession LOL

Alot of people say to weigh every week or just a few times a month but I Just cant
  • Iseeprogress
    Options
    Hi MooshmanX

I was weighing myself everyday and was getting frustrated at seeing different amounts each day. I was especially frustrated after having a good work out and a good day of eating to see the digits on the scale up a pound the next morning. Myfitnesspal recommends weigh ins 1x/wk because they said weight fluctuates each day for unknown factors. So now I weigh myself 1x/ week in the morning when I first get up without having eaten or drank anything. I went even futher and purchased a pair of jeans 1 size smaller. Periodically I will try them on to see if they fit. I'm glad to report that I have been able to pull them halfway up my thighs (lol) which I couldn't do a couple of weeks ago.

OK, hope that was helpful.
  • etfan
    etfan Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I think I'm an outlier: I weigh only once a month. For me, weighing more frequently causes me to put too much emphasis on the scale, rather than on living a healthy lifestyle. And I get frustrated when the numbers on the scale don't match the effort I'm putting in. Since there are so many variables that affect my weight on a day-to-day or week-to-week basis besides what I eat and how much I exercise, I find it more helpful to weigh regularly but less often. Admittedly, this isn't a good strategy for everyone. If you look at the National Weight Control Registry, 75% of folks who have maintained weight loss long-term report that they weigh at least once a week: http://www.nwcr.ws/Research/default.htm. Different strokes for different folks, I guess!
  • SwissRiviera
    Options
    I was hooked on the scale, weighing sometimes daily-hopping on and off. A therapist that I am seeing to help me deal with the mind stuff behind why I use food for more than nutritional needs, recommended monthly, I tried it and it wasn't enough. So, I've chosen weekly. It seems right for me. I appreciate kdwardtn's link.
  • roxspires
    roxspires Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I weigh once weekly on Saturday...it reminds me even though it is the weekend I am what I eat....
  • FuneralDiner
    FuneralDiner Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Weekly. Daily is overkill. :/
  • mary1970
    mary1970 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I also was weighing myself daily and getting upset. If I didn't like the number on the scale I would weigh myself 3 or 4 times a day. (stupid, I know) I stopped and now weight myself once a week and I'm much happier.
  • wisters
    wisters Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Weekly, will be getting on the scale in the morning. Sunday mornings to see what I need/want to accomplish in the next week.
  • 6spdeg
    6spdeg Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    i do it all day long lol.. doesnt bother me at just i like to see how my body reacts to diff things like food water exercise etc. (ive lost roughly 120lbs)
  • maggiemay365
    maggiemay365 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Everyday in the morning..just gotta know!
  • HisPixie
    HisPixie Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Weigh daily. Record weekly (Thursdays). I have to check daily or I start lying to myself.
  • magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    I read the 4-hour body by Timothy Ferriss and his opinion was every day and his theory behind it made sense.
    I weight myself every morning. It's either an honest @ss kicking, or a great start. Either way, it's a motivator for me.
    I only log it once a week, though.
  • reinadelaisla
    Options
    I honestly have not weighed myself in months, and certainly not since coming to this site.
    I realize that's probably a bad thing, but I don't want to become obsessed, and I'm the type of person who will become obsessed with it, I feel (and fear). I also don't own a scale. But at some point I do want to buy one, just to see where I'm at. I realize a difference in how I look and feel and in how my clothes fit, so I think there is some weight lost.
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    Once a week.

I was making myself crazy if I weighed each day and the scale fluctuated

I talked to my nutritionist who advised putting the scale away and focusing on my diet/lifestyle. She said if I weighed once per week I wouldn't be focusing on the scale each day and altering my diet to match the numbers.

As soon as I put it away, things started going much MUCH better :)
  • NCchar130
    NCchar130 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I guess it differs from person to person depending on your mindset.

I weigh once a month. Any more than that and I will freak out if I see I've gained 2 pounds even if I KNOW it's because I ate too much salt and am likely looking at a water weight gain. Sticking to a lifestyle change is such a mental/psychological thing and seeing anything that looks like failure tends to make me feel like throwing in the towel, even if I know the likely reason.

I take my measurements once a week just to make sure I'm progressing.
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    never....I think my scale is out in the shed. Probably has spiders and snakes living in it now. When my shorts are tight I know I've gained a couple of pounds.
  • aliwitt82
    Options
    I usually step on the scale once a week. Sometimes thought I like to see if I am making progress so might step on it maybe 3 times a week at the most. But I only record my weight first thing in the morning Sunday!
  • kimray75
    kimray75 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I weigh myself 22 times a day. I am obsessed with the scale. *LOL* My "official" weight in day is Saturday currently. I just like to see all the variations throughout the week though....I don't freak like some people do at that number on the scale. I really just go by how my clothing fits, which makes me wonder why I am so obsessed with hopping on that scale so much. *LOL*
  • subcult
    subcult Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I log once a week, I jump on the scale about four times a day.
  • luvamricnstyl
    luvamricnstyl Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I weigh everyday. I need that visual motivation.