How to start running when you're already in ok shape?

Options
13»

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I agree that if you can run you can run.

These programs are for people who can't.

If you can simply run 2 miles, then good grief, why would you need a program. Just increase your distance gradually.

Seriously, everyone does not need a program to do what they want to do. People have been running long before programs.

Go girl!

Do you run?

No. But she does. I am "learning". If I could go out right now and run 2 miles, I would not need a program to teach me how to run 2 miles. Common sense does come into play.

And common sense is to listen to those that do run and know what works and what the pitfalls are. Way more fit people end up with overuse injuries than do those starting from the couch, mostly because they have the cardio ability to do more than they should and they don't take the time to build the specific skeletal and muscle adaptions they need to be able to support that level of running.

C25K week 1, day 1 may not be the program or place to start, the OP can certainly do some research and come up with her own program that builds up appropriately or adapt any one of the thousands that exist. I think the point is that no matter how fit you are, if you are just starting out running, you are a beginner and all of the mechanisms that support running are not yet developed. Develop gradually and you will probably be running for a long time, don't and you are just rolling the dice and hoping you don't end up with an injury.

Why does it seem like you are correcting her. She specifically stated, "increase gradually" and you're coming back with "develop gradually". Is there a difference here that I'm missing or do you agree you just shot her down and then reiterated what she said?

And my goodness, I didn't realize people were dying from 2 mile runs. If someone said go try a half marathon or even a 10k, yeah, lets back it up a bit. But 2 miles for a fit person is now cause for alarm? I'm thinking the human body is a wee bit tougher than that.
  • timboom1
    timboom1 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Why does it seem like you are correcting her. She specifically stated, "increase gradually" and you're coming back with "develop gradually". Is there a difference here that I'm missing or do you agree you just shot her down and then reiterated what she said?

And my goodness, I didn't realize people were dying from 2 mile runs. If someone said go try a half marathon or even a 10k, yeah, lets back it up a bit. But 2 miles for a fit person is now cause for alarm? I'm thinking the human body is a wee bit tougher than that.

Increase gradually, yes, cannot go wrong there. The OP is a beginning runner and does not have the experience of building a base (or why the topic to start with.) The advice of "because you can, you should" and "just use common sense" are not really substitutes for a good plan. Occasionally running 2 miles for a fit person that does not run is probably not an issue, but starting to run by doing it 4 or more times a week, without any base, CV fit or not, is a gamble.