I want to run... but I'm too fat

Options
**I've never posted a topic before, and rarely come into the forums due to the drama and judgement I've seen running rampant. Please be kind to me. I am truly wanting advice and support**

I want to be one of those people I see out running. I've wanted this for over a year now. Nearly two years ago I weighed 530 pounds and even walking was a chore for me. Since March 2011, I was 498, I've lost 223 pounds. My exercise has been strictly in the water. I do at least 2 hours, 6 days a week. I've got good strong muscles, and can feel the fit under the fat. I have no issues with walking now. I've gone on a couple walks, have taken my dog, and wore her butt out after the first mile and a half. I had to quit walking when she wouldn't go any further lol. I don't like going by myself - a safety issue for me. There is no one that I can get to walk with me - they are either in no shape to walk any distance, or not interested, or just complete flakes and don't show up. So I've stuck with my pool workouts. When I did walk I attempted to up it to a jog, just to see how I did. Since I was so large before and am still large (currently weigh 274), my whole body bounces around like a tub of jello!! My bones and muscles go one way, my skin and blubber go the other!! In the pool it's kind of morbidly fascinating to watch, and I can actually use it to my advantage for a harder workout... on the road I feel like everyone is staring at the fat chick bouncing her *kitten* all over the road (LITERALLY)!!

I know there are a lot of people on here who've lost a bunch of weight and are now running.. Can you please tell me how you did it, and if you had the same issues, or similar, to what I'm having?? How did you get past it?!?! I'm so tired of my body and mind holding me back.

It's not an easy journey. I was very isolated because of my weight. Now I am getting rid of it, wanting to be more social, but can't seem to find people around here that are leading the active lifestyle I want to lead. I can't seem to find anyone to do any activities with, period. :cry:

Replies

• ccole4
    ccole4 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    i have no advice on the running because im not great at it...you truly inspire me thats alot of weight to lose! good luckt o u on ur journey u have come SO FAR!!!!!!!
  • staceyd90
    Options
    I dont have this same problem cause im 10 stone, so just "chunky". However i dont run outside, due to being too shy. I know im unfit, i feel if im jogging along red in the face and huffing and puffing everyones gonna be looking at me. I get all puffed out just going uphill on a bike or even, shamefully, going up more than 2 flights of stairs!

However im like you, i want to be one of these people who seem to make jogging look so effortless, so i invested in a treadmill! Was like £150 but SO worth it! I also got a jogging app for my ipod touch that eases you gently into running 5k, starting off with mostly walking with a few bursts of jogging, and gradually leading you into jogging more, and walking less, and so far it seems to be working, despite having to repeat week 4!

But yeah, i'd say maybe buy one if you can, start off indoors (i've by no means got enough space, but use it in the hallway and fold it under the stairs when im not using it) and as you loose the weight it'll boost your confidence enough so you can start running outside :)

Hope this helps!
  • gobraves47
    gobraves47 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    LOL, I tried to run a few weeks ago, but I think I'm too fat. I jiggled so much it gave me a headache. I definitely need a better bra before I try it again. I'll just stick to brisk walking for a while longer. :happy:
  • Birdie
    Birdie Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    If you can walk at least do that. I waited too long to get serious and by the time I started walking I developed a heel spur. Now if I go for a walk, I am in so much pain by the end of the night I can't walk just to get through the house. I thought I remember reading an article once about a lady who started from walking to running by going to her local high school track in the evening so no one would really see. She would walk and then try to run a bit alternately, until she worked her way up to actually jogging. If you do that I would bring a buddy so your not alone. I hope to be like you one day, working up to a jog. Best of luck!
  • marikevr
    marikevr Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    It is so awesome that you want to start to run. Start slow, running can be hard on the joints and they need to get strong just as your muscles are strong already.

You are already walking which is great. You can start with a run/walk sequence. Start with a walk to warm up, then you add a jog. When I started I counted street lights. I jogged one, walked one. As I got fitter I increased the number of street lights that I jogged. And I know it is hard, but try to ignore people around you. You are doing something they aren't, you should be proud of that.

As for your safety concerns - you could perhaps find out if there are a running club in your area? Very often they have beginners groups and you can get to meet other people that you might become running buddies with.

Keep going! The results are awesome. :smile:
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I am still too heavy to do any running except in the pool...which works out fine for me. I am too worried about my knees when street jogging, especially at my age. Not to mention I don't think I would get far. So I will be patient. :)
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: Easy honey start with walking,and you will slowly get faster and get into "speed walking" about 4 mph and by that time you will be ready to start a trot from time to time and it goes on!
  • itsmedicinalbacon
    Options
    walk until you are ready to run-this video REALLY inspired me...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SbXgQqbOoU
  • annahuebscher
    Options
    I really don't know many people, women especially, who feel particularly graceful or wonderful running. I hate hate hate running outside, along roads, where other people can see me, when I'm red and sweating and bouncing and jiggling and ready to throw up, but I've made myself do it. It gets easier. Find a park or a nice hiking trail and go for it. If people are gonna judge or laugh or be ****s, that's on them and it just means they're miserable people.
    Can you join a running club or join a meet up group? I'm not the best either at finding new ways to socialize, but finding healthy happy people will make running that much more fun for you.

Best of luck and don't give up! You're inspirational.
  • casperuk
    casperuk Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I weigh exactly the same as you and I want to run, but we are almost 20 stone, thats too much still to be bouncing up and down on our knees and ankles. I spoke to my doctor about it a couple of days ago and I am gonna lose another 3 stone (42lbs) before I start running. Walking is decent enough for me now.
  • abutterflyemerges
    abutterflyemerges Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Kenda

I was 279 lbs a few years ago and had huge breast on top of all of this. I couldn't run either. But my doctor said that I didn't need to run to get results as I tried running once and ended up falling to my knees and nearly breaking both my legs. Doctor said that you could doing more harm than good trying to run as that kind of weight is totally unbalanced, put strain on your joints. She advised I brisk walk as much as I could stand then slow down the walk then speed up again as this would cause your heart rate to go up. And without hurting yourself. I did this and let me tell you she was right. Weight was dropping. She said when you get to a weight you can move better in than you incorporate some light jogging then slowing it down to a brisk walk then a walk until you get to where you can jog. Just moving will get your heart rate up. I enjoyed swimming when I was heavier too. I felt light in the water. I also did alot of water exercises. Good luck to you and sounds like your motivated!
  • jlewis2896
    jlewis2896 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Check out the Couch to 5K program -- it's great! You can repeat a workout until you're comfortable enough to move on. Take your time with it.

I started a running group for 'beginners' of all levels in January this year -- one of our members had recently had gastric bypass surgery, and he was probably our strongest member. We started in January and by April everyone was able to run 5K distance.

Just be easy on yourself -- we repeated a lot of weeks as a group, and it was really nice to have support. Our more fit members were super encouraging to people who had a harder time -- and watching someone struggle through a walk/jog was SERIOUSLY motivating to me to always push to do my best.
  • netchik
    netchik Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Firtsly OP, I think you are freakin' AWESOME! well done on your loss so far! I was over 300lb when I started. I ran in the water for ages before i attempted it in my own house on the spot. eventually got to a pace I was ocmfotable with and then hit a gym (treadmill) late on a Sunday night or early on Sunday mornings when no-one else is at the gym. It was great. Started by walking and you can adjust your speed until you're in a jog. Eventually started pushing myself to do 5 minute run, then 1-, 15, 20 , 45, 60.....Now I run whenever I feel like it and even if someone gives me the look in the gym (you know the one - FATTIES CAN'T RUN), I have ALWAYS out run them on the treadmill.

You will too - especially with the muscles you've developed with the resistance of the water!! Good on you!!!
  • jennajocummings
    Options
    Wow! I am far from a runner. I am just beginning the couch to 5k program but I just needed to tell you great job! Keep it up! & thanks for sharing! You are an inspiration to me! PS- I liked the treadmill idea someone else had.
  • gr8pillock
    gr8pillock Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Heya lady!

WHo says you can't run? It might not be something you can sustain at first for more than a few minutes, (seconds in my case) but you can always start somewhere. Couch to 5K has a detailed lineup program in week one that kinda shows how to get started. Go for a walk, walk at a good pace, then run (or jog to be honest) for 30 seconds to 60 seconds, or whatever amount of time you can do. Then walk for 90 seconds and do it again.

The best thing about THIS kind of training, even when you're much closer to goal, is that it tricks your body. Heart rate even, heart rate spike, even spike, even spike. The brain and heart start to expect the spike, so after you're done working out, you continue to burn calories at an elevated rate for hours thereafter. And it builds stamina and incinerates fat. I did this interval stuff for a few months, then out of the blue realized I could run for seven minutes straight on the treadmill. I had no idea...

Just do what you can to start. You're kicking *kitten* if you're doing anything at all. Everyday you can push a little further til you're comfortable. :)
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    I weigh exactly the same as you and I want to run, but we are almost 20 stone, thats too much still to be bouncing up and down on our knees and ankles. I spoke to my doctor about it a couple of days ago and I am gonna lose another 3 stone (42lbs) before I start running. Walking is decent enough for me now.

i was "trotting! at 20 stone honey but get your fitness up first by the walking IT REALLY DOES HELP x:wink:
  • Vickieblueeyes
    Vickieblueeyes Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    My suggestion would be wearing a sports bra ( I wear 2 so I know the girls are not going to escape). Then get compression shirt or tank and compression pants. This will help keep everything where it all needs to be. If you want to run then you should. There becomes a point when you have to not care what others think of you because you are doing this for your health. Congrats on your weight loss so far.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Been running for the last 50lbs or so.

You're not too fat. You do need to take it easy, and be sensible in your training, though. Get good shoes, fitted at a running shop. Do a good, structured beginners' programme, and make sure that you pay close attention to your body as you build up. If you're doing C25, take it slow, and feel ok about repeating weeks if you need to. don't worry about speed - carrying extra weight, you will be slow, and that really doesn't matter. Enjoy it! I love running.
  • rjvt006
    rjvt006 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Just and idea, try trail running. One you cant be seen on the road which i always like. I hate thinking people are stairing at me. Two the earth is alot kinder on the joints then the road. Three you get a little extra burn due to having to once in awhile change your steps to get over a tree root or something. Start out slow only jog like a min or 30 secs then walk and repeat before you know it you will increas your time running and decrease your time walking. Not sure this will help ya but I hope it does.
  • masarc
    masarc Posts: 12
    Options
    I would just encourage you to get out and do it! Maybe start slow on a treadmill and work up to a run. I'm big, but running is an exercise I enjoy. Also try joining a gym to meet active people or have you tried that already?