I want to run... but I'm too fat

Replies

• sarafil
    sarafil Posts: 506 Member
    First off, congratulations on all you have achieved! You are amazing. And you already have kick-a** commitment to exercise, which is awesome. Running is a challenge, but you can do it. The key is to start out very, very, very slowly! As other people have mentioned, just start out by doing some run/walk combos. On a walk, try jogging for 30 seconds, and then walk again. Try each walk to add one more jogging interval then you did the previous walk. Or try to extend your 30 seconds to 45, and then 60. etc. Yes, it is a slow process, but that is the best way to do it safely. And take your jog slow, there is no reason to try and go fast. You should be able to speak while you are jogging.

Please try not to worry about what other people think. I have never in my life thought anything negative about anyone I have seen out running. Usually my only thought is, "good for them!"
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    this won't help with the bounce (I feel your pain!!!) but it might help with the self-conscious feeling you get while bouncing around.

warning: this essay made me cry, but in a good way.
    http://flintland.blogspot.com/2012/05/hey-fat-girl.html
  • Congratulations on your extremely successful journey so far! My question for you is do you even enjoy jogging or your just want to do it because other people look good doing it. I personally hate to job and will do any other cardio activity I can think of to avoid it. Aerobics classes, bicycling, swimming laps, hiking outdoors (up/down hills). There are lots of things you can do to take up your exercise routine without the bone/joint jarring exercise of jogging. As long as you are getting your heart rate up to maximum for you.. you are doing great.
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    LOL, I tried to run a few weeks ago, but I think I'm too fat. I jiggled so much it gave me a headache. I definitely need a better bra before I try it again. I'll just stick to brisk walking for a while longer. :happy:

If you have HUGE boobs and want to jog theres NO bra EVER made ready to hold them girls down!! lol :laugh: i would suggest a tightish tshirt and a very tight tracksuit top! thats the best i found! :blushing:
  • masarc
    masarc Posts: 12
    One more thing when I first started running I used a stop watch and walked for one minute, ran for one minute alternating the whole time. It worked really well and doesn't build up to running for 2 minutes, walking for one minute etc
  • 6spdeg
    6spdeg Posts: 394 Member
    walk first as fast as you can.. poss 3 mph and then ea week increase your speed a few as long as you are still comfortable.. try to take long strides and most important control your breathing. breathing slow from your belly lowers your heart rate also which will allow you to do more work. this will get you started and ready for when you are able to run.

im short so i had to run once i get over 4mph...

when you get to that point that you cant walk as fast you'll know you have to jog so just do that for few min and you can keep track or just run as long as you can and then keep increasing.. ppl recommend 10-15% ea week.

i started at 300lbs and by time i was at 250 i was running 6mph for one hr straight then treadmill cut off would not allow me to keep running. so i just ran an hr almost every day. kept my heart rate around 157.

hope this helps.
  • Eloira
    Eloira Posts: 82 Member
    if you have access to a treadmill, maybe try increasing the incline a bit, until you feel comfortable with the pressure etc, I used to do this at the gym (infront of all the lads) I too was extremely self conscious however I just plug the headphones in and find a spot to stare at, once there I'm in my own world :D

Ive tried jogging outside through my village but I found myself too embarrassed :?

If you dont have access to a treadmill, I would definitely recommend couch to 5k :D I'm currently using it and love it

oh and congrats on your success so far! :D
  • PastryWizKid
    PastryWizKid Posts: 23 Member
    dont feel that way i just started running myself and had the same fear nobody will judge u unless their sayin "good for her"
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Wow!! Very impressive progress!! Kudos to you for all you've achieved so far!!

I lost over 90 pounds with walking as my only real exercise, and only started running about a year ago. More like jogging actually, but it's far more than I thought I could do 10 years ago when I was sadly obese. I jogged 6.5 miles this morning and it feels soooo good...

I hear you about not wanting to go alone for safety reasons. My German Shepherd comes with me if I go out in the dark (which I have to in Phoenix in the summer!)

But I also use an elliptical, which is a great option when I can't go out for whatever reason. They come in a variety of sizes and prices, so maybe check that out. A treadmill may be another option.

Best wishes for your continued success!
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    LOL, I tried to run a few weeks ago, but I think I'm too fat. I jiggled so much it gave me a headache. I definitely need a better bra before I try it again. I'll just stick to brisk walking for a while longer. :happy:

If you have HUGE boobs and want to jog theres NO bra EVER made ready to hold them girls down!! lol :laugh: i would suggest a tightish tshirt and a very tight tracksuit top! thats the best i found! :blushing:

GG cups. Shock absorbers. I can run for miles.
  • Behavior_Modification
    Behavior_Modification Posts: 24,482 Member
    First of all, congratulations on your weight loss!

I am very jiggly and can relate. I have had physical & mental blocks about running, and although I'm not past them yet, I'm working on it. The physical - tight high waisted capris to hold everything in (i know this isn't the most comfortable but even a body shaper like you'd wear under a dress to smooth it all out works well) + a super sports bra. I'm a 40DDD and have 2 Enell sports bras. They are worth every penny. I still bounce but bouncing and jiggling are way different.

Good Luck!
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,732 Member
    Check out c25k, so that you have a guide to how to work up to running. If you can't afford a treadmill, and you aren't ready to try running outside, try running in place in the house. My daughter does this because she can't get out with her schedule, and she has had impressive results. She just puts in a favorite DVD, and runs in her bedroom. Maybe you could do that until you feel more confident.

You might also check out the blog "Hey Fat Girl." Here is a link to a post about the post: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Sarashouse/view/re-hey-fat-girl-358193

You have accomplished amazing things, and it sounds like you have become very strong. You have nothing to be embarrassed about.
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    I am very active in a family of not-so-active people. When I run and bike I go alone, but I use the time to get my thoughts together. It's sort of just "me time." If someone wants to come with me, they are always welcome, but those instances are few and far between.

You said you are good at walking now, which is awesome! When I started running, I had to start slowly. Go for a walk and add in some running steps. Then run for 5 minutes without stopping. Then 10. Then 20. Etc. You'll get there.

I used to HATE running. Now I get all antsy when I don't go. :)
  • First of all ...... GREAT JOB !!!!!!!! You should be so incredibly proud of yourself for coming so far and sticking with it !!

BUT ..... I have an alternative to running that I turned to with my best friend who has bad knees. CYCLING...... I'm tellin you, you want a great workout ? You wanna feel like you are a kid again? Cycling is the answer ...... Find some hills and a friend. Grab a good bike off Craigslist and try it. It truly is amazing and a great way to burn fat and build muscle while having fun... go figure.... exercise that is FUN !!!

Good Luck !!
  • JESSJESJ
    JESSJESJ Posts: 121 Member
    great job! that is a fantastic amount of weight to lose!

I just saw this the other day...http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Sarashouse/view/re-hey-fat-girl-358193, perhaps it will give you a different point of view!
  • ahonke
    ahonke Posts: 1 Member
    Congratulations on your amazing progress! You are truly an inspiration! I too feel like I am way too fat to run though my dream is to do just that. Friends are quite supportive and a lot of my skinnier friends have suggested the walk for 5 minutes, jog for 1 minute and slowly build up the amount of time jogging. I do it on a treadmill in an empty gym with my Ipod blaring energetic music. My fantasy is to run down the jogging/biking paths in my neighborhood with my dog but it's not safe and I'm still too embarassed. I have only been on my weightloss journey for 6 months, lost 20 pounds but still weigh just over 200 lbs. There's still a lot of jiggling but one day you will see me on those paths!
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    I was 220-230 when I started running. I think if you work with a doctor and keep close eye on one's joints and stuff, you're not too heavy to run! Start off easy. Try couch to 5k or Jeff Galloway's run-walk-run program. You can do it!
  • furby1
    furby1 Posts: 114 Member
    Firstly, you are inspiring and please be very very proud of what you have so far achieved :)

I was 230lb when I joined MFP and due to multiple health issues have not exercised in years and was afraid to go for a walk incase I went so far and found I couldn't get back. At the same time I joined the site I joined the gym under a scheme run for disabled/unhealthy people.

For 12 weeks I have an instructor who monitors me and I have the gym sessions at a reduced rate.
    I started out just using the treadmill for 10 mins at a snail pace and on a flat level. I tried using a couple of the weight lifting machines but again at a very low level. 10 weeks later and I now spend 2 sessions of 15 mins on the treadmill at 4.8km pace with an incline, I am pulling 30 kg on one of the weights which i believe is reasonably good, I have just started using the rowing machine and am loving every minute of it. I also bought myself a second hand exercise bike and have built that up to 30 min a day which equates to about 5 miles . I am female and 61years old and as I said have many health issues but I feel great.

While I have so far only lost 16lb I have lost 5 inches of my hips and 4 from my waist, by the way I also started pilates and that is such a gentle exercise but has helped my posture so much......so if like me you are worried about going out and you can afford it go to the gym. It may be that they have a similar scheme in your area, ask your doctor......that way you can up your speed level in safety until you feel comfortable enough to go out and do it....and i am 100% sure that with your determination you will do....good luck :)
  • OMG! You are awsome! It's really funny but, I so feel you. I just started this attempt at losing again. I see people out running, and it looks like fun. I would love to be able to do that but, have a hard time walking do to my knees. I too have been getting in the pool everyday and trying to do exercises to help my stiffness. I don't know where you're at but, wish you were close by.You give me hope. I'm an all around big lady. I'm 6'2 and 357 lbs. I'm always the biggest one in whatever I do. Any exercises you can pass on , would be great. The loose skin on my tummy and inter thigh is going to be my biggest problems. I'm 58 and not giving up. I just know you'll find a buddy out there. Hope to hear from you. Keep up the good work. It's taken me a long time to realize not, to worry about those other people. At least your out there trying. Bless you!
  • DakotaKeogh
    DakotaKeogh Posts: 693 Member
    You have done an amazing thing for yourself and everyone around you who sees your example. Be proud of yourself. I really have no advice on running. I really can't as I have one knee with the cartilage worn completely through. But, I would offer a suggestion that your try biking as an alternative. It can be just as much of a workout without the associated injury from the impact of running. And with a stationary bike you can do it indoors year round.