Options
    that's absolutely ridiculous, lol
  • moonlightturk
    Options
    :huh: thlmao-1.gif
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    I beloved the idea is based off the body warming itself off.
    But the first rule of thermodynamics is you don't talk about thermodynamics.
  • Jules2Be
    Jules2Be Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options
    I don't like being cold.
  • JennyLisT
    JennyLisT Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/154168-how-to-lose-weight-with-cold-showers/

Yes, and it's effective at burning back fat. Burning *fat* , not calories.

this is one reason swimmers burn so many calories. the water is cold and the body has to work over time to keep body temp up.

thats the reason swimmers burn so many calories?? it couldn't possibly be the full body work outs that go on for hours in anerobic conditions.

nope. the water's cold. thats why phelps and locht looks like they do.

:drinker: :flowerforyou:

Also, for all of the people quoting Dr. Oz...don't. Just don't.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,303 Member
    Options
    I didn't quote him..but saw the guy on his show.. what do ya want from me? lol:bigsmile:
  • magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    You forgot the part that it specifically burns fat. Jumping jacks burn calories. cold water burns fat.

I guess you are basing it on this:
    A team led by Sven Enerbäck, a medical geneticist at the University of Gothenburg in Sweden, found that when subjects spent 2 hours in a cold room wearing thin clothing and intermittently soaking their feet in ice water, their brown fat burned 15 times more energy than it did at room temperature. One subject had enough brown fat to lose 8 to 9 pounds per year.

(...)

mice fed a high-fat diet and kept at room temperature ended up nearly four times heavier than mice fed the same diet and housed at 39 F. Researchers estimate that just 2 ounces of active brown fat could burn 300 to 500 calories a day. "You don't need much to have a profound effect on your body's metabolism," Cypess says.

Read more: Brown Fat and Weight Loss - The Future of Fat - Popular Mechanics

Read more: http://www.popularmechanics.com/science/health/genetics/brown-fat-revelations-may-lead-to-new-weight-loss-drugs-670440

That's a huge discovery! Not. They are only a bit more informed about why the BMR is increased in winters. It's quite possible to measure the BMR of people living in cold climates already. As brown fat is rumored to be activated as a heating mechanism against cold, that's already calculated in. If you want to live in 39F (that's like 4*C) to burn 300-500 calories extra, you can move north and save on heating bills.

And sadly, above "studies" are all about calories burned, nor fat loss.

I'm seriously not trying to be a smartass but this is turning into a super fad diet myth.

No, I'm not.
    I'm basing it on research done with Ferris and a NASA scientist who performed this study in several ways to break everything down.

Brown fat, when activated, burns other fats in your body. With cold temps, especially water, brown fat is activated.

Feel free in disagreeing with a NASA scientist, though.

Swimmers burn more calories than it theoretically should because they're in a cold pool. Their body is getting a double work out.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    You forgot the part that it specifically burns fat. Jumping jacks burn calories. cold water burns fat.

I guess you are basing it on this:
    A team led by Sven Enerbäck, a medical geneticist at the University of Gothenburg in Sweden, found that when subjects spent 2 hours in a cold room wearing thin clothing and intermittently soaking their feet in ice water, their brown fat burned 15 times more energy than it did at room temperature. One subject had enough brown fat to lose 8 to 9 pounds per year.

(...)

mice fed a high-fat diet and kept at room temperature ended up nearly four times heavier than mice fed the same diet and housed at 39 F. Researchers estimate that just 2 ounces of active brown fat could burn 300 to 500 calories a day. "You don't need much to have a profound effect on your body's metabolism," Cypess says.

Read more: Brown Fat and Weight Loss - The Future of Fat - Popular Mechanics

Read more: http://www.popularmechanics.com/science/health/genetics/brown-fat-revelations-may-lead-to-new-weight-loss-drugs-670440

That's a huge discovery! Not. They are only a bit more informed about why the BMR is increased in winters. It's quite possible to measure the BMR of people living in cold climates already. As brown fat is rumored to be activated as a heating mechanism against cold, that's already calculated in. If you want to live in 39F (that's like 4*C) to burn 300-500 calories extra, you can move north and save on heating bills.

And sadly, above "studies" are all about calories burned, nor fat loss.

I'm seriously not trying to be a smartass but this is turning into a super fad diet myth.

No, I'm not.
    I'm basing it on research done with Ferris and a NASA scientist who performed this study in several ways to break everything down.

Brown fat, when activated, burns other fats in your body. With cold temps, especially water, brown fat is activated.

Feel free in disagreeing with a NASA scientist, though.

Swimmers burn more calories than it theoretically should because they're in a cold pool. Their body is getting a double work out.

If it is a valid peer reviewed study, it should be published, but I am having problems finding any other study than the one that you actually quoted from livestrong that, when reviewed in detail, indicated a possible fat burning potential from cold showers of 12 calories an hour (and which sounds very similar to what you are describing but comes to a less fabulous conclusion). Possibly you could give the name of this NASA scientist you refer to or look at you book to try to find the name of the actual study so folks can do a search and actually take a look at the results.

I do find this interesting (extract from Wikipedia which I apologize for!!)

"Ferriss' second book, The 4-Hour Body, was published by Crown on December 14, 2010.[55] The book was an immediate bestseller and debuted at #1 on The New York Times Best Seller list.[56] It has currently sold 700,000 copies in North America.[48] Ferriss later appeared on Dr. Oz as well as as a guest on ABC's The View.[57][58]

In a New York Times review of the self-help book, Dwight Garner wrote:"Here’s a better analogy: “The 4-Hour Body” reads as if The New England Journal of Medicine had been hijacked by the editors of the SkyMall catalog. Some of this junk might actually work, but you’re going to be embarrassed doing it or admitting to your friends that you’re trying it. This is a man who, after all, weighs his own feces, likes bloodletting as a life-extension strategy and aims a Philips goLite at his body in place of ingesting caffeine."[59]"
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    ...I do find this interesting (extract from Wikipedia which I apologize for!!)

"Ferriss' second book, The 4-Hour Body, was published by Crown on December 14, 2010.[55] The book was an immediate bestseller and debuted at #1 on The New York Times Best Seller list.[56] It has currently sold 700,000 copies in North America.[48] Ferriss later appeared on Dr. Oz as well as as a guest on ABC's The View.[57][58]...
    Well, there you go...he's been on Dr. Oz and The View - what other credentials could you possibly want? :bigsmile:
  • MarlinWil
    MarlinWil Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    You've had a lot of negative feedback re the showers, but in the latest Good Health Mag (Australian, page 31), they state that a study found that women who drank 500ml of cold water raised their metabolic rate by 30 per cent, which equates to about 100kJ. Drink two litres of cold water a day and you could burn 400kJ, said Melanie McGrice, who is the found of Health Kick Nutrition and Dietetics. Probably this would be more effective than turning off the hot water at the end of your shower. And more pleasant, too (although I do enjoy that during summer).

All the best - hopefully this is a little more constructive than some of the sarcasm you have been receiving. It's great to ask questions, and good on you for doing that, but it is disappointing that so many people have chosen to be condescending. If we don't ask, how do we learn??!!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    You've had a lot of negative feedback re the showers, but in the latest Good Health Mag (Australian, page 31), they state that a study found that women who drank 500ml of cold water raised their metabolic rate by 30 per cent, which equates to about 100kJ. Drink two litres of cold water a day and you could burn 400kJ, said Melanie McGrice, who is the found of Health Kick Nutrition and Dietetics. Probably this would be more effective than turning off the hot water at the end of your shower. And more pleasant, too (although I do enjoy that during summer).

All the best - hopefully this is a little more constructive than some of the sarcasm you have been receiving. It's great to ask questions, and good on you for doing that, but it is disappointing that so many people have chosen to be condescending. If we don't ask, how do we learn??!!

why not drink four liters of cold water and you could burn 800 kilojoules a day????
  • gsmith1986
    Options
    hiya, if you have a 5 minute cold bath or shower before you go to bed it has various benifits, including helping you get a better sleep, whilst you sleep your body burns fat and also it makes your body use your subcutaneous fat stores to warm your body back up to the right temp whilst you sleep! so yeh it helps but has to be for a minimum of 5 minutes to really do anything xx :)
  • Capt_Apollo
    Options
    hiya, if you have a 5 minute cold bath or shower before you go to bed it has various benifits, including helping you get a better sleep, whilst you sleep your body burns fat and also it makes your body use your subcutaneous fat stores to warm your body back up to the right temp whilst you sleep! so yeh it helps but has to be for a minimum of 5 minutes to really do anything xx :)

no wonder!!! i've been taking cold showers, but i stop at four minutes and twenty seconds. guess i'll be staying in the shower for an extra forty seconds.
  • dawson55510
    dawson55510 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I had a cold shower Sat night because my oil ran out not nice at all
  • Capt_Apollo
    Options

thats how you got the abs, right??
  • dawson55510
    dawson55510 Posts: 197 Member
    Options

thats how you got the abs, right??

lol yea quick shower abs pop out, get the phone out snap and job done lol
  • brewitzer
    brewitzer Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    How do I delete this topic? Yes....I wanted to spark an interesting conversation but I cannot believe the arrogance of some of you people!

I too, have a little bit of knowledge on athletics and wellness, being a 4 sport athlete in high school (still active in 3 out of the 4) but I wouldn't shove it in your faces!!

We're supposed to be on this site to help each other and stimulate not cut down and be condescending....VERY DISAPPOINTED IN SOME OF YOU! Wow!
  • Dancerten
    Dancerten Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    How do I delete this topic? Yes....I wanted to spark an interesting conversation but I cannot believe the arrogance of some of you people!

I too, have a little bit of knowledge on athletics and wellness, being a 4 sport athlete in high school (still active in 3 out of the 4) but I wouldn't shove it in your faces!!

We're supposed to be on this site to help each other and stimulate not cut down and be condescending....VERY DISAPPOINTED IN SOME OF YOU! Wow!

Welcome to the new MFP... I was on here a little over a year ago and it was nothing like this. I can't believe how much of a hate-fest/slam other posters competition it's become :frown:
  • brewitzer
    brewitzer Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I know right? I've been off and on for about 3 years and I'm starting to think MFP stands for My Fitness Pricks! Sorry to say that! At least my ppl on my friends list aren't like this...
  • xarge
    xarge Posts: 484 Member
    Options

What kind of discussion were you expecting? Support or help? "Oh I hope your showers burn many calories :flowerforyou: "? Whereas I don't agree with any belittling comments and I think that people could do better without laughing their *kitten* off, I don't see any info-shoving here. Following a nutrition and exercise industry leech and coming with uncorroborated claims is the way to create forum myths. So excuse me for shoving info or asking for credible researches.