Those who lost 20-30lbs... how long did it take you?

Options

Replies

• Emmabulliemum
    Emmabulliemum Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I have lost 48lbs since January on here. Counting cals exercise and being 100% honest with everything I eat. I cut back on fats and bread but not denied myself anything just moderation.
  • MummyOfSeven
    MummyOfSeven Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    It took me a year to lose 35 lbs.

I cut my portion sizes drastically, I used to eat HUGE portions.
    I drink about two litres of water every day.
    I do at least 30mins exercise, minimum five days a week. Even if it's just going for a walk.

I made a conscious effort NOT to lose my weight too rapidly. I don't want to gain it all back as I have done in the past.
    35 lbs may not seem like a lot to some, but it's made a big difference to me. I've dropped two dress sizes and I can actually run up the stairs without collapsing and dying at the top!
  • caba7
    caba7 Posts: 11
    Options
    Im down 21 lbs and it took me 3 months. My goal is too lose at least another 50 lbs. I want to loseit gradually so i dont gain it back. I still eat the foods that i like cause i dont want to deprive myself, i just watch the portions i eat. I no longer drink soda which for me is great. I feel so much better since i cut the soda out. I drink at least 8 glasses of water a day. I exercise either at the gym or do zumba at home on the Wii game at least 4 times a week. I'm so happy i decided to do this and stick to it. :) Anyone feel free to add me if looking for encouragement.
  • phillieschic
    Options
    4.5-5 months to lose 30 pounds...I eat healthy pretty much every day so it's all dependent on the amount of running I do.
  • mjpTennis
    mjpTennis Posts: 6,165 Member
    Options
    5 ft 8, sw 233, CW 198
    My journey to lose 35 lbs. has has taken 1 1/2 yrs. the first 15 lbs came off within 6 months and was due to only switching aerobic activity and some circuit training for 3 or 4 times a week, no diet changes to speak of. The next couple of pounds came off over the next 6 months with the same focus. The last 15 lbs have come off in the last 6 months and have been the same kind of aerobic/strength focus plus an extra focus on tracking foods and drinking more water.
    Throughout all of this time, i am most excited about not having any spikes in my weight where I would lose and then add. Small changes and life adjustments have worked well for me. Good luck to you.
  • ashlielinn
    ashlielinn Posts: 920
    Options
    I've been tracking my food since around February, but really got serious about sticking to it and working out since September of last year. I've lost around 30 pounds as of about a month ago, so it took me around 9 months. That being said, I've lost a lot more inches and toned a lot more of my body, and I still have about 15-20 pounds to go! (I very rarely get on the scale, so I'm not sure of my exact weight at this time). I've done it by sticking to my weekly calorie goal, running at the very least 35 mins 5 times a week, and weight training to retain muscle mass, as well as generally trying to be more active every day, whether that be taking a walk with my boyfriend or hiking when it's nice outside!

Here's a link to my halfway update :)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/657221-re-motivating-myself-5-5-and-26lbs-gone
  • thetipster99
    Options
    35 lbs, 3.5 months... basically 2.25 lbs a week.
  • licorice_tea
    licorice_tea Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    2 months. It's probably a bit quick of a rate for somebody who was only 10lb overweight, really at the upper end of what is healthy. My goal was 2lb per week so I logged a 1000 deficit every day, along with a running weekly deficit that added up to an average 2000 extra (this is all including exercise, not just food alone). I generally wouldn't eat back my exercise calories. My strategy was... no sanctioned cheating, basically. No cheat days, no cheat meals. If I knew I was going to eat a 2,500 calorie meal (yay dim sum!) then I would try and burn as much of it as possible through exercise and really cut down the calories of other meals. I often still went over my budget on one day each week, but usually under on the other 6 days because I didn't eat back exercise calories so it gave me a nice cushion. My philosophy was "dieting is really the biggest pain I can think of... let's do this as quickly and efficiently as possible while still being healthy." I'm on pause right now due to vacation, but I hope I can lose the next 20 pounds at the same rate but... probably not! I'm expecting my body to be much more stubborn now that I'm in the middle of my healthy BMI range.
  • jennewbury
    Options
    15lbs in 5 weeks.

I changed my diet so that I am eating meals and cut out snacking. If I am going to snack its on healthy foods! I cut out alcohol (one of my weaknesses) to a minimum. I also exercise everyday, whether it be at the gym or a walk around the neighborhood.

I try not to eat out, as that is where I can pack on the calories without realizing.

I have a good support system, my mother is doing the same thing and my SO is aware of what I should and shouldn't be eating.

Hope that helps :)
  • MzRKP
    MzRKP Posts: 19
    Options
    we're already friends so you can look through my pics...it took me 3 months or less to lose 30 pounds :)

My eating habits suck..and still suck. I eat whatever I want, I just eat more veggies with it. As for exercise I workout like a maniac...it's Ramadan right now so I haven't been going hard as usual because I'm tired and lazy..but this is the last week so I should be back on it by Monday. I usually burn about 800-a little over 1000 cals when I workout I think that's why I've been losing and why my eating haven't affected anything

How do you burn so many calories in a workout? And what keeps you energized? I get so tired during workouts
  • squigglypuff
    squigglypuff Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    i started at about 150lbs in june of 2011 and got down to 115lbs by january of 2012, but then i stopped counting calories and now i'm around 120lbs. i still have a considerable amount of pudge so i'd like to get down to 110lbs or maybe even 100lbs. my lowest adult weight was 97lbs about ten years ago when i used to run track. i'm at the high end of the healthy BMI range (24.2) but i started on the border of overweight and obese. the BMI tracker does mention that it is not reliable for people under 5 feet tall, so i'm not sure how accurate it is for me since i'm 4'11.

i lost the majority of my weight by counting calories, enjoying junk crap garbage food in moderation, walking 30-45 minutes 4-5 times a week, and i also did jillian michael's 30 day shred. i joined a gym back at the end of may 2012 and since then, both my weight AND body measurements have gone UP but i'm hoping it's muscle :\

now since i have "so little to lose" (though 10-20 more pounds still seems like SO MUCH to me) i feel like my weight loss has come to a screeching halt. it's like it took forever to lose the first bit of weight, then suddenly nothing fit anymore, but my brain is screaming at my body that it can't stop here! i'm not done yet!!
  • sleibo87
    sleibo87 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    It took me about 110 days to lose 30 pounds. I exercise 6 days a week. I did the Jillian michaels body revolution and I start insanity next week. I have about 20 more to lose and hoping to get there by Halloween. I use this site to count my calories everyday and only cheat once a month. Although I take a bite of something if I want it but just a bite. Feel free at add me I always love new friends!
  • lovinmyselfagain
    lovinmyselfagain Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    It took me 7 weeks to lose 20lbs and 12 weeks to lose 30lbs. This past Sunday was a full 17 weeks and I'm down 37lbs. I eat a lot of fruits, veggies, chicken, and salmon. My snacks are usually plain Greek yogurt with flax seed and fresh fruit, almonds, and I still have sweets when I want, I just figure them into my day. I measure and portion EVERYTHING. My food scale is my best friend. I did Zumba ONLY for exercise from the beginning of my journey, which began April 15th until the beginning of July, when I began doing Jillian Michael's Burn Fat, Boost Metabolism DVD, as well. I also weight train 2-3 days a week. I drink at least 8 glasses of water a day. I think one of the reasons I dropped the weight so fast in the beginning was because I was doing a lot of yard work in the spring. It got ridiculously hot and I said "eff" that I'm not going back out there and now my weight loss is about 2 lbs a week versus the 3-4lbs a week in the beginning. And my backyard looks like a jungle-I guess I should get back to it ;). Also I've switched from 2% milk to unsweetened Almond milk, from 4 cups of coffee with cream to 4 cups of green tea instead, although every so often I will have a cup of coffee with only 1 tbsp of creamer.
  • cbear311
    cbear311 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    It took me 6 months to loose 47 pounds
  • courtneysellis
    courtneysellis Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Took me four months, cut down on sweets and junk, 1800 calories; exercise daily.
    Make sure I get plenty of sleep and nutrition, nutrition, nutrition!!
    P90x and Shakeology actually helped as well regardless of what some will say, I remain dedicated!!!
    Actually I am a bit more in shape then that picture on the left now!!
  • rileyhall00
    Options
    I just lost 9kgs, ~20Lbs. Took about 5weeks. Diet and gym 3-4 a week.
  • hilaryhill
    hilaryhill Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    It took me a little over 2 mos to lose 23 lbs. I ate 2200 calories a day, and I ate most of my exercise calories, if I exercised. It was easy, IMO, lol. I do Zumba 2-3x a week for an hour, and then after that I do weightlifting for 30 mins.

I've been at a plateau for the past month but I hope it jumpstarts again soon.

c7a3d331-186e-4216-b457-3036bf9be7bf_zps22afbd2a.jpg
  • Hildy_J
    Hildy_J Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    Just had a look at you guys.

Inspiring. Inspiring AND hot, actually...

Loving it!
  • suziepoo1984
    suziepoo1984 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    took me around 4 months to lose 20 lbs and from the past 2 months i have lost only 2-3 lbs :) Of course the closer you get to goal, harder it is to lose weight, but i am mostly to blame for this self induced plateau :) I have 15 pounds to goal, though i might stop before that based on how i feel and look. I want to increased my LBM and decrease fat eventually.

ETA: I eat around 1600-1700 calories on average(depending on how much i exercise and how hungry i am ;)). I try to walk around a lot, zumba/dancing 2-3 times per week or Jogging/walking intervals 2-3 times per week.
  • rkirk1954
    rkirk1954 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Working on the last 10 for my next goal and see how I look and feel. Total of 70 lbs. since July of 2012.