Coconut oil and weight loss

Options
found this at Whole Foods and I am intrigued! It is about the same calories/fat at regular peanut butter. I was wondering if anyone else has tried using coconut oil in their diet and noticed any differences or weight loss. I would love to cook with it but someone in my family is allergic. I thought this might be a good substitution!

This seems to b e a controversial topic!

Replies

• lynn1643
    lynn1643 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    It's just an oil. It has the interesting property of being a semi-solid at room temperature and becoming liquid at skin temperature. If this gives you any ideas, you must have read The Joy of Sex.

It is often used in my neighborhood as a skin cream, especially for people with dry skin - around the elbows and knees in particular.

It doesn't taste like much of anything.
  • taem
    taem Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Oil, is the most calorie dense food you can eat, at 4 thousand calories a pound. I don't see anyone losing weight using oil in their food.

Sorry.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Yes it is controversial so I tend to be careful and not have too much but it is really good for any high temperature cooking which most oils aren't so I use it then.

I'd love to know for sure if it's good to use more of it.
  • redhousecat
    redhousecat Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    The studies I have read on it (and there isn't much) all say pretty much the same thing. It's really good to use externally on the skin, but has no greater benefit than other healthy fats if ingested.
  • taem
    Options
    Yes it is controversial so I tend to be careful and not have too much but it is really good for any high temperature cooking which most oils aren't so I use it then.

I try never to use oil as it deters my weight loss (too many calories).

As for cooking with it, I threw all my oil away. Cooking oil included. It just isn't worth all those calories.
  • jus_in_bello
    jus_in_bello Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Oil, is the most calorie dense food you can eat, at 4 thousand calories a pound. I don't see anyone losing weight using oil in their food.

Sorry.

False. It's really good for your GI tract, skin, and has some healing properties. It's highly recommended for people with gluten issues as raw coconut oil can repair the damage done by gluten, we'll never been "healed" because it's an auto-immune condition but eating coconut oil healed me enough that I can eat eggs and dairy again.

The brain needs fat to function and coconut oil is a great source, a table spoon a day is good, I have a friend who uses three table spoons a day and she's losing weight.
  • jus_in_bello
    jus_in_bello Posts: 326 Member
    Options

As for cooking with it, I threw all my oil away. Cooking oil included. It just isn't worth all those calories.

Dude, how do you use oil? It's not that many calories if you use it in the correct amount, and it's incredibly good for your body, especially coconut oil!
  • FrugalMomsRock75
    FrugalMomsRock75 Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    I put a TBSP of extra virgin coconut oil in my oatmeal every morning. Sometimes I have it again in the afternoon in my protein shake if I still need more calories. Doesn't hinder my weightloss at all that I've noticed, and it's delicious.

If the coconut oil you have isn't flavorful, you aren't buying the right one! ;)
  • taem
    Options

Dude, how do you use oil? It's not that many calories if you use it in the correct amount, and it's incredibly good for your body, especially coconut oil!

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/fats-and-oils/508/2

It's a 100% fat.

I think this discussion is over.
  • StevLL
    StevLL Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Been having great success with the organic coconut oil. We use organic EVOO for most of our cooking and the coconut oil for making peanut butter as it has a nuttyl taste or as a carrier for essential oils etc. Yes it's high in calories, but our bodies do need a certain amount of fats derived from plants. I'm not losing weight super fast, but overall steady and I haven't given up any foods other than gluten and packaged products.

I thinks it's great and Wal-mart has an organic coconut oil for about $8/16oz, so it's not bad. The Olive oil we get through Bountiful baskets and it's $24/gal.

In small amounts oil is perfectly fine. It beats anything loaded with ingredients you can't pronouce that's considered low-fat.
    Moderation is the key to success, not denying yourself for the rest of your life. Of course that's just my humble layman opinion. :-)
  • orapronobis
    orapronobis Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    The information that I have on coconut oil comes from Dr. Mary Newport. Her husband has Alzheimers and in searching for something to help him, she discovered that the MCT's in coconut oil can get through the blood/brain barrier and nourish brain cells. Her husband has had significant and sustained cognitive improvement. You can read about her research and her husband's improvement in her book. I borrowed it from the library. The title is something like "Alzheimer's Disease. What if there was a cure?" She also has a website with information: coconutketones.com.

Coconut oil, like all oils is very high in calories, so you have to calculate it into your daily totals. If you do decide to start using coconut oil, check out the baking aisle at Walmart. They carry the LouAnn brand, and it is the lowest price I have found anywhere, inluding the internet.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    I love coconut oil. I use it all the time. I use it anywhere I would normally use butter just to use something different. (I still use butter too)

I also use it on my skin and it smells delicious.
  • taem
    Options

Sorry.

False. It's really good for your GI tract, skin, and has some healing properties. It's highly recommended for people with gluten issues as raw coconut oil can repair the damage done by gluten, we'll never been "healed" because it's an auto-immune condition but eating coconut oil healed me enough that I can eat eggs and dairy again.

The brain needs fat to function and coconut oil is a great source, a table spoon a day is good, I have a friend who uses three table spoons a day and she's losing weight.

If coconut is that good for you, eat coconuts.
  • FrugalMomsRock75
    FrugalMomsRock75 Posts: 698 Member
    Options

It's a 100% fat.

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/why-your-body-needs-some-fat-to-be-healthy.html

Well. Yeah. NOW it is. :laugh:
  • meglet175
    Options
    Healthy fats are an important component of any diet. My youngest son's ADHD symptoms are much improved if we make sure to get good fats in his diet. Peanut butter and fish oil supplements have been effective, but after reading all these posts, I'm going to pick up some coconut oil and swap it out for some of the other oils we use in cooking.
  • jesusHchris
    jesusHchris Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options

It's a 100% fat.

That's it folks, end of discussion! We all know that there is a direct path from your mouth to belly and butt. Any fat you eat squeezes into this track and is deposited there directly. Thanks for pointing this out.

(I use it on toast, delicious)
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options

It's a 100% fat.

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/why-your-body-needs-some-fat-to-be-healthy.html

Well. Yeah. NOW it is. :laugh:

BOOM! Love it! Thanks for ending it with something that indicates it is OK TO EAT FAT!
  • rudegyal_b
    rudegyal_b Posts: 593 Member
    Options

It doesn't taste like much of anything.

thats only if you get regular coconut oil, the extra virgin kind tastes like coconuts
  • redhousecat
    redhousecat Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    yeah, if you do a google scholar search, you will find studies. The weight loss part has pretty much been debunked. It does, however, have anti-microbial properties. Still, it is really good to use on the skin.

THAT BEING SAID. If you buy the partially hydrogenated coconut oil, you are ingesting trans fat. You must use raw coconut oil in order to get the health benefits.

The only people I know who use it cook with it because of the subtle flavor it adds. Not for health reasons.