Coconut oil and weight loss

Options

Replies

• AmbitionStrong
    AmbitionStrong Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    To begin with, our cell membrane walls are made of FAT, and they need GOOD fat, not rancid fats. Coconut oil is a good fat.

Somewhere in between, there are thousands of people who eat coconut oil, saturated fat, becoming healthy, and shedding body fat, maintaining muscles.

And last but not least, there is beginning to be research that shows that the more saturated the fat, the less calories per gram it is. Coconut butter proposed as being 5.5 cal, grassfed beef fat 5.8 cal, and man made junk oils are 9 cal per gram.

As with everything, moderation and in sane dosages!
  • FrugalMomsRock75
    FrugalMomsRock75 Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    Coconut fat: Coconut fat is approximately 92% saturated fat, yet surprisingly to most people, is considered a very healthy natural fat. The health benefits of coconut fat lie in its composition of approximately 65% medium chain triglycerides (MCTs). Specifically, about 50% of coconut fat is a MCT called lauric acid, which has very potent anti-microbial properties helping to enhance the immune system. Also, MCTs are more easily utilized for immediate energy instead of being stored as body fat. Coconut oil is also an excellent cooking oil for stir-frying, etc. since saturated fats are much more stable and do not oxidize like polyunsaturated oils when exposed to heat and light, which creates damaging free radicals. The best sources of healthy coconut fat are organic coconut milk, virgin coconut oil (available at http://coconut-info.com), or fresh coconut.
    http://www.truthaboutabs.com/dietary-fat-article.html
  • redhousecat
    redhousecat Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    PS. I am losing weight and not just using oil, but using COCONUT oil in my food.

Consider yourself DEBUNKED. :bigsmile:

I am willing to bet you are eating healthy foods along with that coconut oil AND I bet you throw in a little exercise here and there. SMH

this has little to do with that. The poster I was responding to says not to use any oil. At all. None. Because it's unhealthy. He said that people who use oil don't lose weight. Obviously, that's pure idiocy. Now I'm SMH at someone hopping in and not reading a thread through before responding.

"dude" I read your bashing little diatribes. You attack the guy personally. ANd if you cared to read, I have been adding a couple of cents here and there the whole time.

Get over yourself, pat yourself on the back for using coconut oil. It has health benefits as a healthy oil. Quit acting like you are being marred to death.
  • taem
    taem Posts: 495 Member
    Options

So go ahead and eat 100% fat and see if you lose weight. There is essential fat found in plants, but we are talking about oil that is 100% fat.

If you are bone skinny, yes you need fat. How many here are bone skinny? I read the page and it doesn't give any recommendations as to how to eat it if you are at a certain level of health and weight. So I repeat, oil, when we talk about calories, is too high and not worth it.

If you want to ingest oil that clogs up your arteries and packs in the calories, go for it.

Dude-you've logged your food one time since January... and when you did log, you ate around 1200 calories.

I eat 2100+ and lose weight... and I include that "100% fat" in my diet...

tell me which one of us is living something more sustainable? :huh:

So you exercise, a lot. Good for you. I stopped logging in food because I try to eat starches and veggies. Calorie density suggests that I can never overeat if I stick to those types of foods. If you eat oil, you are packing in a lot of calories without the benefit of feeling full.

I never said coconut is bad for you. I said oil, of any kind, when we speak of calories, is terrible in weight control. If you off-set it by exercise, good for you. I won't do that. I rather enjoy my time not exercising off all the calories I eat.

=]
  • SaraSillyRainbow
    Options
    Yes use it. This and butter are great for a healthy life style. Margarine is a chemical *kitten* storm-- never touch that.

I use it. I love it. I even throw it on the roots of my hair once a month for a night in order to have long shiny moisturized hair :-)
  • kyosborne
    Options
    coconut oil is predominately saturated fat. Depending on how it's processed it may also contain trans fats (even worse for cardiovascular health). It has no omega-3 fats for brain health.

I'd avoid it unless you absolutely needed it for the flavor on occasion. For everyday use there are much healthier options out there for the same calories - an oil high in monounsaturated fats and polyunsaturated omega-3 fats are best for cardiovascular & brain health - eg: canola oil, olive oil
  • apriltrainer
    apriltrainer Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I actually sometimes put coconut oil in my coffee.....it kept me full. So..lots of cals but i would save some in the long run because there would be times I wasn't hungry for breakfast and lunch and didn't eat until dinner(I'm an intermittent faster guys...so don't be hating!)

I also cook with it ALOT.

I probably should log it in MFP..but I don't because...well..look at me!

http://aprilfitness.shutterfly.com/pictures/8

(I actually use the coconut oil spray now by spectrum. Not as good and tasty as the stuff in the jar but gives me just enough flavor without all the cals.) But every now and then I will use the real deal!
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Of course, we need fat in our diet and we do now know that eating fat doesn't make us fat. That myth was perpetuated in the 90s when all the low fat foods came out. And you know what. . . people got way fatter eating those low fat foods because they were packed with sugar to make up for the fat. Informed people know their calorie levels, they log their food, pay attention to their portions of carbs, fat and protein and do just fine.

In fact, I often don't have enough fat in my little pie chart at the end of the day because my brain is still sometimes stuck in the 90's and I have to remember to eat nuts, olive oil, coconut oil, and yes. . . even a little butter.
  • redhousecat
    redhousecat Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    I use it. I love it. I even throw it on the roots of my hair once a month for a night in order to have long shiny moisturized hair :-)

yes! I have seen great results using it in hair! I have a tiny container nearby to use on my hands.

I like cooking with it every once in a while if I need the flavor.
  • debussyschild
    debussyschild Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    Yes it is controversial so I tend to be careful and not have too much but it is really good for any high temperature cooking which most oils aren't so I use it then.

I'd love to know for sure if it's good to use more of it.

I try never to use oil as it deters my weight loss (too many calories).

As for cooking with it, I threw all my oil away. Cooking oil included. It just isn't worth all those calories.

Peanut butter has oil. It's called peanut oil. Or hydrogenated cottonseed oil depending on what brand you buy. Pure oils that haven't been hydrogenated (made stiffer to produce longer shelf life) are very healthy is small quantities.

Also, for cooking, grape seed oil is very healthy with about the same viscosity as EVOO. However, it has a much higher smoking point than other oils, which makes it great for searing or frying *OMG*.
  • jdanz2012
    jdanz2012 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Also look up shangri la diet. Some people swear by consuming about 3 tablespoons of oil a day between meals.
  • FrugalMomsRock75
    FrugalMomsRock75 Posts: 698 Member
    Options

So go ahead and eat 100% fat and see if you lose weight. There is essential fat found in plants, but we are talking about oil that is 100% fat.

If you are bone skinny, yes you need fat. How many here are bone skinny? I read the page and it doesn't give any recommendations as to how to eat it if you are at a certain level of health and weight. So I repeat, oil, when we talk about calories, is too high and not worth it.

If you want to ingest oil that clogs up your arteries and packs in the calories, go for it.

Dude-you've logged your food one time since January... and when you did log, you ate around 1200 calories.

I eat 2100+ and lose weight... and I include that "100% fat" in my diet...

tell me which one of us is living something more sustainable? :huh:

So you exercise, a lot. Good for you. I stopped logging in food because I try to eat starches and veggies. Calorie density suggests that I can never overeat if I stick to those types of foods. If you eat oil, you are packing in a lot of calories without the benefit of feeling full.

I never said coconut is bad for you. I said oil, of any kind, when we speak of calories, is terrible in weight control. If you off-set it by exercise, good for you. I won't do that. I rather enjoy my time not exercising off all the calories I eat.

=]

I don't exercise a lot. I've got a whole 35 minutes in yesterday and 35 minutes in today. When I exercise more, I eat more. And lose. And eat oil. It's not necessary to "exercise off" or "off-set" my oil. It's necessary to begin with. There are some vitamins that the body can't even utilize unless fat is also consumed (those pesky little "fat soluble vitamins").
  • b1g_tun4
    b1g_tun4 Posts: 48
    Options
    I use a small amount as a butter alternative for my eggs. I still get crisp eggs without the use of butter. Check about this guy's information. He also recommends a certain brand coconut oil. The brand I bought is odorless and flavorless so when its gone I am buying the one in the Amazon link below as per Dr. Mercola. I would probably use it on my sweet potatoes and oatmeal also if it had more flavor so when I get the Mercola oil I am looking forward to that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txWk1vWJjJM

http://www.amazon.com/Mercola-Dr-Coconut-Oil/dp/B0067NYLAO/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=120EMD6ID9AE7&coliid=I21OKULHRKZC3K

http://www.mercolashop.com/coconut-oil/?s_kwcid=TC|17165|mercola%20coconut%20oil||S|b|13558493584&gclid=CMeLv4O86LECFQU6nAod-34AWA
  • taem
    taem Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    PS. I am losing weight and not just using oil, but using COCONUT oil in my food.

Consider yourself DEBUNKED. :bigsmile:

I looked at your diary and saw that your coconut oil is the second highest caloric food and fat as well. If you take away coconut oil, how much faster do you think you could lose weight? and that is the topic of this thread. I think a lot faster.
  • ChristyP0303
    ChristyP0303 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Yes it is controversial so I tend to be careful and not have too much but it is really good for any high temperature cooking which most oils aren't so I use it then.

As for cooking with it, I threw all my oil away. Cooking oil included. It just isn't worth all those calories.

Dude, how do you use oil? It's not that many calories if you use it in the correct amount, and it's incredibly good for your body, especially coconut oil!

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/fats-and-oils/508/2

It's a 100% fat.

I think this discussion is over.

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/why-your-body-needs-some-fat-to-be-healthy.html

Well. Yeah. NOW it is. :laugh:

We use coconut oil. My husband lost 224 pounds in 1 year. All diet and exercise. I have lost 80 pounds. We use coconut oil and eat peanut butter!
  • Rocking_Robin
    Rocking_Robin Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Bump..to read later...very interested in this
  • debussyschild
    debussyschild Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    No one said to EAT 100% fat. They stated coconut oil is 100% fat.
    You need fats. Period. How you get them is less of a concern. So I repeat, fats are needed.
    *sigh*

Due to a lack of essential amino acids provided by those wonderful oils, I think that person's brain isn't functioning at it's highest capacity. It needs more fat. :tongue:
  • TheDeviation
    Options
    I use a small amount as a butter alternative for my eggs. I still get crisp eggs without the use of butter. Check about this guy's information. He also recommends a certain brand coconut oil. The brand I bought is odorless and flavorless so when its gone I am buying the one in the Amazon link below as per Dr. Mercola. I would probably use it on my sweet potatoes and oatmeal also if it had more flavor so when I get the Mercola oil I am looking forward to that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txWk1vWJjJM

http://www.amazon.com/Mercola-Dr-Coconut-Oil/dp/B0067NYLAO/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=120EMD6ID9AE7&coliid=I21OKULHRKZC3K

http://www.mercolashop.com/coconut-oil/?s_kwcid=TC|17165|mercola%20coconut%20oil||S|b|13558493584&gclid=CMeLv4O86LECFQU6nAod-34AWA
    Of course he recommends that. It's his brand. LOL
  • lovethemgorillaz
    lovethemgorillaz Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Everything in moderation. It's a healthy fat, in moderation!
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options

Dude, how do you use oil? It's not that many calories if you use it in the correct amount, and it's incredibly good for your body, especially coconut oil!

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/fats-and-oils/508/2

It's a 100% fat.

I think this discussion is over.

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/why-your-body-needs-some-fat-to-be-healthy.html

Well. Yeah. NOW it is. :laugh:

Where did you get the idea that eating fat is bad for you? You might want to reasses this notion. Dietary fat has nothing to do with body fat. Calories from fat are not more likely to cause weight gain than calories from carbs or protein. I eat about 35% fat and lost weight just fine. It's fine if you want to eat low-fat, but it's not true that it has no place in a healthy diet.