juliekaiser1988 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/fats-and-oils/508/2

It's a 100% fat.

I think this discussion is over.
    [/quote]

You can't be serious...

Whoever thinks because something is a fat, then it's unhealthy for you: here's a newsflash: healthy fats are GOOD for you! Satiety, healthy skin, healthy heart!!

I eat a whole avacado, 2 tablespoons of olive oil, and/or walnuts every day.

Only someone who has zero education about health (NOT DIETS!!) would say just because it's a fat, that the discussion is over.
  • FrugalMomsRock75
    FrugalMomsRock75 Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    PS. I am losing weight and not just using oil, but using COCONUT oil in my food.

Consider yourself DEBUNKED. :bigsmile:

I looked at your diary and saw that your coconut oil is the second highest caloric food and fat as well. If you take away coconut oil, how much faster do you think you could lose weight? and that is the topic of this thread. I think a lot faster.

I would replace those calories with some other calories... but coconut oil is less likely to be STORED AS FAT than some of the things I could replace it with!

Exhibit A:
    Specifically, about 50% of coconut fat is a MCT called lauric acid, which has very potent anti-microbial properties helping to enhance the immune system. Also, MCTs are more easily utilized for immediate energy instead of being stored as body fat.
    http://www.truthaboutabs.com/dietary-fat-article.html
  • StarvingDiva
    StarvingDiva Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    I use coconut oil, in my hair as a conditioner, on my skin as lotion, in my smoothies, cook with it, bake with it. Eggs taste amazing cooked in coconut oil I also give some to my cat as it's good for their skin.
  • jsj024519
    jsj024519 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    no comment
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    I started using it a few days ago on my dry hands and it's worked better than Bio oil that tends to be marketed here a lot.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Fan of Coconut oil here.

Mostly I'm just bumping to follow the hilarity. Some of the dumbest posts I've seen (that aren't a joke or troll) are being made in this thread. Probably because dietary fat is essential for healthy brain functionality.

You know who you are buddy! :laugh:
  • jackieatx
    jackieatx Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    PS. I am losing weight and not just using oil, but using COCONUT oil in my food.

I looked at your diary and saw that your coconut oil is the second highest caloric food and fat as well. If you take away coconut oil, how much faster do you think you could lose weight? and that is the topic of this thread. I think a lot faster.

Really, is the point of this to simply lose weight or learn to make better choices and be healthy for life?
    It seems to be the latter for most of us.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options

It appears to me that lots of people on this thread are losing plenty of weight while incorporating healthy sources of fat into their food plans. I might also add that we aren't here just to lose weight; we are here to improve our health, nutrition, and well-being. Healthy fats play a very important role in overall nutrition.
  • thephysiquemechanic
    thephysiquemechanic Posts: 44 Member
    Options

It's a 100% fat.

[/quote]

You can't be serious...

Whoever thinks because something is a fat, then it's unhealthy for you: here's a newsflash: healthy fats are GOOD for you! Satiety, healthy skin, healthy heart!!

I eat a whole avacado, 2 tablespoons of olive oil, and/or walnuts every day.

Only someone who has zero education about health (NOT DIETS!!) would say just because it's a fat, that the discussion is over.
    [/quote]

AGREED 100% peanut butter, macadamia nut oil, coconut oil...all great alternatives for anyone that uses butter margerine or anything of the sort, and when used in moderation in cooking, addes moistness to turkey chop meat, chicken, brown rice. Just because something is a FAT doesnt mean its going to clog your arteries and go straight into your love handles. You people that think otherwise need to do a great deal of research on the topics of healthy fats. Now if you were eating a deep fried oreo, chicken wing, french fry, or anything of the sort, thats a totally different story and those types of fats used to cook those things are incredibly unhealthy. Get your facts straight.
  • FrugalMomsRock75
    Options
    My goal isn't to win "who can lose weight the fastest?" My goal is to win "who can lose weight in a sustainable fashion while obtaining optimal health?" :bigsmile:

You go ahead and win at the first; I'll keep on my track for the second.
  • taem
    taem Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Yes it is controversial so I tend to be careful and not have too much but it is really good for any high temperature cooking which most oils aren't so I use it then.

I'd love to know for sure if it's good to use more of it.

I try never to use oil as it deters my weight loss (too many calories).

As for cooking with it, I threw all my oil away. Cooking oil included. It just isn't worth all those calories.

Dude, how do you use oil? It's not that many calories if you use it in the correct amount, and it's incredibly good for your body, especially coconut oil!

It's a 100% fat.

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/why-your-body-needs-some-fat-to-be-healthy.html

Well. Yeah. NOW it is. :laugh:

So go ahead and eat 100% fat and see if you lose weight. There is essential fat found in plants, but we are talking about oil that is 100% fat.

If you are bone skinny, yes you need fat. How many here are bone skinny? I read the page and it doesn't give any recommendations as to how to eat it if you are at a certain level of health and weight. So I repeat, oil, when we talk about calories, is too high and not worth it.

If you want to ingest oil that clogs up your arteries and packs in the calories, go for it.

Where did you get the idea that eating fat is bad for you? You might want to reasses this notion. Dietary fat has nothing to do with body fat. Calories from fat are not more likely to cause weight gain than calories from carbs or protein. I eat about 35% fat and lost weight just fine. It's fine if you want to eat low-fat, but it's not true that it has no place in a healthy diet.

If 1 gram of fat is 9 calories and 1 gram of carbs and/or protein is 4 calories, just do the math. However, If you eat below your calorie limit, meaning if you are following a form of calorie restriction, then yes, even eating twinkies will make you lose weight if you are not eating enough calories. I agree to that point.

And I said, when I speak of oil, I talk of calories and eating oil is too calorie rich for me. Here is an example:

Go to serving size, 1 tablespoon--calories: 116 calories, so 2 tablespoons is 232 calories.

Now go to, oh lets see how Bryer's Vanilla Ice Cream compares:
    http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/sweets/8026/2
    1 half cup of ice cream is 99 calories. So you can have 2 servings of ice cream and it is still beats 2 tablespoons of that oil.

I'd rather eat ice cream and even exercise less.
  • FrugalMomsRock75
    Options

If 1 gram of fat is 9 calories and 1 gram of carbs and/or protein is 4 calories, just do the math. However, If you eat below your calorie limit, meaning if you are following a form of calorie restriction, then yes, even eating twinkies will make you lose weight if you are not eating enough calories. I agree to that point.

And I said, when I speak of oil, I talk of calories and eating oil is too calorie rich for me. Here is an example:

Go to serving size, 1 tablespoon--calories: 116 calories, so 2 tablespoons is 232 calories.

1 half cup of ice cream is 99 calories. So you can have 2 servings of ice cream and it is still beats 2 tablespoons of that oil.

You just confirmed your NEED of some fats.

For reals.

You'd rather eat ice cream with its refined sugars (or completely chemically manufactured sugars in the example) and names of ingredients you can not pronounce than coconut oil? Ice cream-which is more likely than coconut oil to be stored as fat??

OP: Please... take note of the posts in there that should be taken as pure gibberish!
  • jessimurph
    jessimurph Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I love my raw coconut oil. It smells heavenly, and does taste coconut-y. It's my favorite healthy fat. I'm going to start budgeting my calories so I can add it to my after workout protein shake. I slather it all over me after I shower and people always comment about how lovely I smell subtly of coconuts. I have two csection scars and it may just be a coincidence, but my first scar I put nothing on and it looks horrible still after 3 years. My second I put raw coconut oil on daily and looks fantastic....it's only 4 months old! I was pretty shocked. The only downside is how pricey it is....and I've tried to put it in my hair and it's a gross mess for my hair type. Had to wash it four times to degrease my scalp.
  • LilacDreamer
    LilacDreamer Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options

As for cooking with it, I threw all my oil away. Cooking oil included. It just isn't worth all those calories.
    '

Why not get an oil mister? 1 spray is around 10 calories. you fill it with a small amount of the oil of your choice, and choose how many sprays you want. problem solved.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

I'm sorry, but this is just stupid. Nobody disagrees about the calorie content of oil- 9cal/g- agreed.
    Now, WHO is deciding between ice cream and oil? Can you cook with ice cream? Does anybody have 2TBSP of oil as a snack? It's a really stupid and pointless comparison.
  • Nikiki
    Nikiki Posts: 993
    Options
    When I started including more fats in my diet I started losing weight quicker. Most days I average 1500-1600 cals (net) there has been one week since I started adding fats that I gained (and that was due to stress eating and I dropped all that gain plus more by the following week). I add coconut oil to my coffee, chia seeds to my oatmeal and olive oil to most of my cooking. Typically 1tsp of coconut oil, 1/2 tbs of chia seeds and 1tsp of olive oil every day. I believe it has sped up my metabolism and I know it helps me feel more satiated for longer.
    I've tried 1200 calories, I've tried no carb, low fat, crazy amounts of exercise and none of those attempts were sustainable for me, I was miserable! This works for me.

I also like what I've read about how good the types of fat in coconut oil are for brain health especially for treating and preventing Alzheimer's and dementia, the thought of developing one of those diseases terrifies me!!

**disclaimer: what works for me may not work for you and what works for you may not work for me. I won't hate you for disagreeing with me so long as you don't shove your opinion down my throat :)

Oh also for the coconut oil vs raw coconut: I do eat raw coconut on occasion, it's a tasty crunchy treat! However it's a PIA to prepare and I don't have much spare time on my hands so I get some of the health benefits and flavor without the effort by using the oil, I also love Nutiva'a coconut manna which is basically just raw coconut blended up in a jar.
  • DesignGuy
    DesignGuy Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    It's not some magic thing for weight loss.

I used it in my coffee for a bit. Soon I found a better use for it.
  • taem
    taem Posts: 495 Member
    Options

I'm sorry, but this is just stupid. Nobody disagrees about the calorie content of oil- 9cal/g- agreed.
    Now, WHO is deciding between ice cream and oil? Can you cook with ice cream? Does anybody have 2TBSP of oil as a snack? It's a really stupid and pointless comparison.

Why cook with oil? You don't need to. Save yourself the calories.

As for the comparison, I'd rather eat 2 servings of ice cream than 2 tablespoons of oil. It has less calories, but the point is, even ice cream has less calories than two tablespoons of oil.

So you spray the oil in the pan, then you pour oil in your food. All of a sudden, your food has a ton of calories. The comparison is to make you realize to use oil sparingly, if not at all because it will not make you lose weight, and this is still the topic of oil and weight loss.
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options
    Yes it is controversial so I tend to be careful and not have too much but it is really good for any high temperature cooking which most oils aren't so I use it then.

I'd love to know for sure if it's good to use more of it.

Dude, how do you use oil? It's not that many calories if you use it in the correct amount, and it's incredibly good for your body, especially coconut oil!

It's a 100% fat.

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/why-your-body-needs-some-fat-to-be-healthy.html

Well. Yeah. NOW it is. :laugh:

So go ahead and eat 100% fat and see if you lose weight. There is essential fat found in plants, but we are talking about oil that is 100% fat.

If you are bone skinny, yes you need fat. How many here are bone skinny? I read the page and it doesn't give any recommendations as to how to eat it if you are at a certain level of health and weight. So I repeat, oil, when we talk about calories, is too high and not worth it.

If you want to ingest oil that clogs up your arteries and packs in the calories, go for it.

Where did you get the idea that eating fat is bad for you? You might want to reasses this notion. Dietary fat has nothing to do with body fat. Calories from fat are not more likely to cause weight gain than calories from carbs or protein. I eat about 35% fat and lost weight just fine. It's fine if you want to eat low-fat, but it's not true that it has no place in a healthy diet.

That is a sensible thing to say -- that you would rather use the calories for something else. I don't think anyone would take issue with that. You just came across as saying that this should hold true for everyone becaue fat was inherently a bad choice. I totally agree that you have to budget your calories and people are going to do that differently. Personally I find high fat foods very satiating so I prefer them to high carb foods, but that's just me. There are lots of different ways to do it!
  • Lipstickcherry
    Lipstickcherry Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I use it occasionally. Not very often. I like to melt coconut oil (the paste) in a pan, mix it with cocoa powder & agave syrup. Then put that in cupcake holders (I use the paper cups ones). That goes into the freezer. Then I put peanut butter (mixed with a tiny bit of powdered sugar) or any other nut butter on top. Then pour the rest of the batch on top.