How do you fit a workout in?

Options
Hey everyone! I'm wondering if anyone has any tips on how to fit a workout in. I work full-time, in grad school full-time and a mother of an infant and a toddler. It seems like I don't have a single second to spare and when I do I can't find anyone to watch my kids for me :(

Is it ok to wait until 10:00 at night to try to workout or is that too hard on your ability to fall asleep after you're done?

Replies

• IsisRosa
    IsisRosa Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Home DVDS. Or walk/run with the kids in a double stroller.
  • aaeros
    aaeros Posts: 157
    Options
    Typically I stop by the gym on my way home. But if I know I can't do that, I'll get up and hit the gym at 5:30am before work.
  • spotdog14
    Options
    I fit my workout in one of two ways during the day. I either wake up and hour earlier and do my run/strength training or I go at lunch during work. I usually eat while I am working and I get an hour lunch break so I take my actual lunch break and go running usually.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    If 10pm works for you then do it! Regarding the ability to fall asleep, with your daily schedule, I'd be amazed if you didn't come home and immediately pass out. I used to work out from 9-10pm and I would come home, zone out for 30 minutes, then fall asleep

Try it and see if it works. Also as sierramoon says, there's a PLETHORA of workouts to do at home!
  • RunningMatt77
    RunningMatt77 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    There s a saying-If you want something bad enough you will find the time. A 24 Hour gym is your best bet
  • dorkusmalorkus
    Options
    a lot of gyms have centers where they watch kids for you. other than that dvds, i like the firm fitness dvds
  • oOMusicBabii
    Options
    DVDs, Netflix, Hulu...anywhere that you can find a workout video you like. Look for express workouts which are typically around 20 minutes a video.

Look for Leslie Sansone's Start! Walking videos (I have the 1, 2 and 3 mile ones) they're short and give a decent workout which you can make harder if you need/want.
  • jazzedorange
    jazzedorange Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I have kids and I workout during naps. 25 minute DVD workout session :) Otherwise at around 10 pm when all the kids are in bed I will jump on the stationary bike and watch a show/movie and ride for about 20-60 minutes!
  • poshcouture
    Options
    I workout usually right when I get home. No questions asked...it's out of the work clothes right into the gym clothes. The second workout is generally my hardest since I have to meet my trainer at the bike path a couple hours later.
  • superpapa16
    superpapa16 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I'm a full time husband, father, worker, and student. It can be tough getting a workout in. I try a couple of things. On the weekends I try to get up before everyone and get a run in. During the week if my wife picks up our son I'll run or workout before they get home. Usually during the week though I'm so busy with kid and school I end up working out after everyone goes to bed. I never found falling asleep post workout & shower to be too difficult, at least not after the first week!
  • reyna99
    reyna99 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    You don't fit it in, you make time for it! :)
    When I first started early mornings worked for me! Then I did stuff that incorporated the whole family, bike rides, walks to the park etc.. and then Home DVD's are great! My weightloss journey has been done from home!

You'll have to play around and see what works for you, evening might be the way to go, just get it in! Hubs and I are now working out together in the evenings, even though I miss my AM workouts, it's been fine working out later on in the evenings and going to bed.
  • Angie__1MR
    Angie__1MR Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I am a mother of 2 little ones, work full time, and go to school...I lift at 4 a.m., the gym is empty, and it doesn't interfere with my family time.
  • ShreddedTweet
    ShreddedTweet Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Jillian Michaels' home DVDs, the 30-Day Shred only takes 20-ish minutes, do it when they're down for a nap! Anyone can find 20 minutes in a 24-hour day! *plus they really work*
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    Some days I get up at 4:00am and work out. Some days I work out as soon as I get home. When it gets cooler I'll start working out on my lunch hours (like that dude up there does).
  • tladame
    tladame Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I also work full time and have a 3-year-old. I don't have time to go to a gym. I get up early while DH and DD are still sleeping (around 4:45 - 5:00am) and do a 25-minute workout DVD. Sometimes I go for a run. That's the only time I have to exercise!
  • Carolyn_79
    Carolyn_79 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    Working out before bedtime makes me sleep like a baby. If 10pm is your free time then do it then.
  • bigphatcat
    bigphatcat Posts: 7,843 Member
    Options
    I work for 10 hours a day and travel 1 hour each way to work. I have two young boys and I usually do the cooking in the house. What I do is get up a little early in the morning and get about a 15 minute work out in. Most days at lunch time I try to get in a 15 minute walk at lunch. The rest of my work out happens after the kids go to bed after 9:00 - 10:00 PM...this could be another 15 -30 minutes depending on the day
  • skizzbot1
    skizzbot1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I recently bought a recumbent exercise bike for my apartment. It makes it really easy to burn some calories while watching an episode or two of something on TV or off of Netflix. Was a fantastic purchase... well worth it.
  • waskier
    waskier Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Wrong approach. The question is: How do you fit the rest of the day in? I do my workouts first thing in the morning, then I never have to worry about anything else getting in the way. I feel great all day and go to sleep much easier than working out at night. Like the others said, home workouts are great. Also think about a double stroller and take the kids with you. Do high intensity interval training and you can drastically reduce the amount of time you have to spend working out. Lots you can do, just don't make excuses.
  • ShreddedTweet
    ShreddedTweet Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    'Luxury!!! I had to get up in the morning at ten o'clock at night half an hour before I went to bed, drink a cup of sulphuric acid, work twenty-nine hours a day down mill, and pay the mill owner for permission to come to work'...and I STILL get my workout in!