How do you fit a workout in?

Options

Replies

• skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    Wake up 30 minutes earlier.

30 Day Shred takes less than a half an hour.
  • sunny_smile5
    sunny_smile5 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Also being a mother who works full-time with no time to hit the gym, I can understand your situation. Home workout videos -- such as 30 Day Shred -- have been the best for me. I usually just do my workout (only 30 minutes each day) whenever my daughter falls asleep. Also, I just try to walk as much as I can..every opportunity I get, I walk. For example, during my lunch break at work, I take walks. Also, I just try to park further away from the entrance whenever I go shopping or just out about. Not only that, I watch what I eat and also eat 6 small meals and snacks per day instead of 3 big meals. Every little thing you do counts!
  • heddylyn
    heddylyn Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I have two kids and I get up at 4:30am to go to a 5am boot camp. I'm usually back home before anyone at my house is awake. It never gets any easier to get out of bed that early but I never regret going. Dragging myself out of bed is the hardest part of my work-out!
  • Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    early am, late pm. either or
  • confettibetti
    confettibetti Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Home DVDS. Or walk/run with the kids in a double stroller.

This is a good idea!!! :)
  • confettibetti
    confettibetti Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Walk on your lunch hour and eat at your desk later?
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    When I was going to the gym, I'd get up and go about 2 hours before I knew my husband and kids would wake up. Now, we live to far from the city to go to the gym, so I fit in exercise whenever my husband can watch our kids. I'll go for a mountain bike ride in the late afternoon, I'll do Brazil Butt Lift while my youngest two are napping.

For you, I think the best thing would be to get some dvds so that you can work out at home. Get up before your kids and do it in the morning. That way, you'll get it done for sure, and you'll have more energy for the day.
  • debussyschild
    debussyschild Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    Late night workouts might be the solution, especially after you've put the baby to bed. Try them out and see how your body reacts sleep wise. Usually, workouts right before bed will make it harder for you to sleep, but that's not the case for everyone or every time. I love working out late!
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    My wife wakes up early, works out, then goes back to bed.
    The New York Sports Club near me has inexpensive babysitting right there in view of the gym.
  • Linda_Darlene
    Linda_Darlene Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    10 minutes at a time.
  • NikkiSixGuns
    NikkiSixGuns Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    I get up super early to work out before leaving for work. I know that if I don't do it then, it's probably not gonna happen.

When the weather is cooler I go run or bike. Now that it's super hot I've been doing the Jillian Michaels 30-day shred video. The workouts are pretty intense and only take about 30 minutes (including a few extra stretches afterward) so I can knock them out without depriving myself of too much sleep.

Good luck, and applause to you for all that you're taking on! Whew! Makes me tired just thinking about it...
  • SFbarmaid
    SFbarmaid Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    There s a saying-If you want something bad enough you will find the time. A 24 Hour gym is your best bet

true. I drag both of my kids to the gym with me EVERYDAY. I go to 24 hour fitness. I work nights. This 2 hours that they spend in the gym daycare is pretty much the only "me time" I get these days.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options

Is it ok to wait until 10:00 at night to try to workout or is that too hard on your ability to fall asleep after you're done?

I work out at 10:00 sometimes. Almost nothing affects my ability to fall asleep though so I have no problems there.
  • Eafears
    Eafears Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    There is a book called Sass your self slim by Cynthia Sass. She says that people use the "busy" excuse all the time when they don't want to do something or truly believe they don't have time. She recommends taking one day to log all of your activities in 15 min incriments. That means everything. At the end of the day you should be able to see the where and the how of fitting exercise into your life. But the main point is you have to want it and commit to it. I used to do leg lifts while I brushed my teeth and squats while I blew dry my hair, its easy to look at your activities and see how you can adjust them to fit in exercise.
  • cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I would workout at home, either at night or get up earlier. Theres tons of free really good workouts available online. PM if you want links to them.
  • karenmi
    karenmi Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I'm always interested reading posts from women who are much younger than I am who are trying to juggle so many things at once; maybe it's just us old bags that have been there, done that and learned the hard way that you can't have it all.

Perhaps this is not the right time in your life to try to do this "hard core"? Maybe, as some others have suggested, you need to incoporate activities that you can do with the kids, or while you're studying, or during your lunch hour, etc. If you are trying to do too many things at once something's going to suffer, and it would be sad if that's time with your kids, since they are little for such a short time.

Life's too short not to have any fun!
  • klbaierwalter
    klbaierwalter Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I work full time, and I've been studying for entrance into my master's program. I belong to a 24 hour gym and I LOVE IT!! There are some days when I don't get off work until 6pm or later, and I'm in at 7:25, so I can squeak a workout in there after work on my way home, or early in the morning before I need to be at work.

Kudos to you for all you do! :-) Good luck! I'm sure I'll be asking your advice when I'm working on my master's have kids and am working full time!
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    I work a full time job and had a hard time getting a workout in after work (gotta pack lunches for me and the hubbs, make dinner, take care of the dog, etc), so I started going before work. Get up a little before 5, work out for an hour, get cleaned up and go to work. Working well so far...I get a lot more done.
  • Lift_This_
    Lift_This_ Posts: 2,756 Member
    Options
    I copied and pasted this from a similar thread, my answer is still the same.

I make the time. It comes down to how bad you want to. I worked 50 hours a week, aced my architecture classes, made it to most of my wrestling training classes and lost 50 lbs. I was in the gym at 5am and not home until after 11pm most days but I made it happen.

That guy and his wife are super awesome!!!!
  • sandhillsmom
    sandhillsmom Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    As I head back to work next week I have thought about how I will get in workouts as well. I am doing 15 minute workouts now so I can work one it at home before work. My school has free weights and I can get in a workout there after work. I am walking 5 days a week now. and I hope I can squeeze in some gym time 3 times a week. I'm making them as dates with myself and putting them into my calendar!