Egg Yolks as bad as Smoking!?

Options
If you believe this anyway.....

Egg yolks almost as bad for your ticker as smoking, says study

Avert your eyes, egg-lovers. New research from Canada's Western University says eating egg yolks regularly is nearly as effective as smoking cigarettes when it comes to speeding up atherosclerosis, or coronary artery disease. The study looked at 1,231 men and woman with the average age of 61.5 years and found eating three or more egg yolks per week over the years was two-thirds as bad as smoking for increasing carotid plaque on your inner arterial wall, a risk factor for stroke and heart attack. Study authors stressed that "regular consumption of egg yolk should be avoided by persons at risk of cardiovascular disease." Boo! [Source]

http://now.msn.com/new-research-says-egg-yolks-increase-coronary-artery-disease

** I love eggs and always eat the whole egg it really helps me with my protein goal. I know there are a ton of people here who only eat the white.

Replies

• marywilsoncline
    marywilsoncline Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I eat the whole thing too. An egg is a natural food, therefore I don't see it so bad:wink:
  • rlmadrid
    rlmadrid Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    :sad: but, but... I like eggs.

I'm calling shenanigans.
  • Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    I hate eggs but I call BS
  • slim104
    slim104 Posts: 160
    Options
    Cant be doing with just egg whites. I eat 2 or 3 whole eggs daily. I had high cholesterol just over 3 months ago when i started here and now its almost to a normal level. I had a fasting blood test last week at my diabetes doctor.
  • hottottie11
    hottottie11 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    Everything will kill you.

I ate 5 whole eggs just yesterday and my HDLs, LDLs, VLDLs and triglycerides are all good.
  • sgarrard01
    sgarrard01 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Dont panic just yet! That is almost a nearly uncontrolable study (i.e could be 101 other factors!)

Therfore until they can confirm the actual cause, not just the link i shall continue eating my 6whites and 1yoke! lol
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Here we go again! They just can't make up their minds! :tongue:

My parents eat whole eggs daily, have for years - dad's in his 70's, mom is nearly there, both have good healthy hearts, low cholesterol, etc, etc.

I eat at least two whole eggs 4 or 5 days a week, and will continue to do so.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Anyone got the global warming vs number of pirates pic?
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    Well, I think this is a ton of bull****. One study is not the end all be all on egg yolks, and considering there have been plenty of other recent studies that have shown the fat and cholesterol in egg yolks don't generally have any negative effects on health, I'm more inclined to side with the majority. Not to mention there's a ton of GOOD stuff in egg yolks, like protein and vitamins and minerals.

I'd also like to point out that people have been eating whole eggs for hundreds and hundreds of years, and yet things like heart disease have only become so common recently. If egg yolks were really "as bad as cigarettes" I think we would have seen health related problems much much earlier on.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    piratesarecool4.gif
  • swark6999
    Options
    I'm not sure what to think of that "study" yet, especially given the source from the link you provided...

"Spence added the effect of egg yolk consumption over time on increasing the amount of plaque in the arteries was independent of sex, cholesterol, blood pressure, smoking, body mass index and diabetes. And while he says more research should be done to take in possible confounders such as exercise and waist circumference, he stresses that regular consumption of egg yolk should be avoided by persons at risk of cardiovascular disease."

So they haven't taken into account other factors such as waist circumference and exercise? What other things haven't they taken in to account? It seems pretty premature to make the assumption egg yolks are that bad if other factors can contribute to the results. Of course, that is based on my completely non-professional opinion :)
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    Oh cheese and rice!!!!!! I stopped reading, haha. I love my eggs and boo hoo if they cause cancer and what not.
  • MindyG150
    MindyG150 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    I eat the whole thing too. An egg is a natural food, therefore I don't see it so bad:wink:

Same here!
  • Marll
    Marll Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    This is just some nonsense propganda, for what purpose I have no idea.

I probably consume 60% of my calories in fat, 30% protein and 10% carbs and I eat a TON of whole eggs. My cholesterol numbers are stellar. I call BS on any study that tries to make whole natural foods out to be the villian. Chances are they are pushing grains and other processed crap on the side too.
  • oOMusicBabii
    Options
    I only eat the egg white because the yolk texture grosses me out (ex. when boiled or "fried" egg or over easy/hard). Though I make an exception for deviled eggs, scrambled eggs and omelets.

Back to the topic...calling shenanigans. Smoking cigarettes is way worse, you know that whole cancer thing people seem to forget about those vile little buggers. Ruins you in more and far worse ways than any egg ever could.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    And tomorrow a study will find that egg yolks decrease the risk of cancer. I just can't worry about all these studies. One tells me not to eat any animal products, another tells me to eat a diet heavy in protein and fat. One tells me not to drink coffee another says coffee is good for my heart.
  • oonegative
    Options
    Whaaaat!?Well ....That is why I don't eat Canadian eggs..But I like eggs.
  • bassmanlarry
    bassmanlarry Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Three a week? I eat three a day!
  • nikkiw283
    Options
    all the protein is in the white anyway.
  • simplydelish2
    simplydelish2 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    While other studies show that the yolk is where the nutrition is in an egg...plus it helps you burn fat! However, if you ate as many egg yolks as most people smoke cigs a day...it could be an issue. for me...I'll eat my 4-6 egg yolks a week and be just fine with that!