Egg Yolks as bad as Smoking!?

Options

Replies

• beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    piratesarecool4.gif

Global warming is killing off the pirates? :frown:

Or the pirates were the only thing standing between us and global warming. Like some sort of secret society that staved off impending doom and we never even knew it until it was too late... :o

I'd watch that movie.

:laugh:
  • rlmadrid
    rlmadrid Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    But is it because of the egg yolk that people are more likely to get ill or is it not the causual link?

Eg. people who eat one rasher of bacon a day are more likely to be obese than people who don't eat bacon. The reason isn't because one rasher of bacon is piling on the pounds, but that the sort of person who eats bacon daily is probably the sort of person who eats alot of other things daily.

Maybe it's just one of those accidental links. I think if you ate an egg a day as part of a really healthy and balanced diet it wouldn't be worse for you than smoking.

audience.gif
  • Goal_Line
    Goal_Line Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I have an Omega Egg nearly everyday. My Doctor loves all my blood tests.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    [oh, and i eat the whole egg, generally fried in bacon grease; unless they are hard boiled, then my puppy gets those gross solid yolks.]

That's the opposite of me. I don't care for fried eggs, and when they are boiled, I think of the whites as a "bowl" that holds the yummy. I "devil" them by adding mustard and paprika, then toss the slimy whites. hahaha

My favorite is scrambled or omelets though, when I mix yummy goodies like mushrooms and cheese into them. Yum!
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,723 Member
    Options
    should be avoided by persons at risk of cardiovascular disease."
    quote]

There's your conditional basis for the study.
  • rlmadrid
    rlmadrid Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    [oh, and i eat the whole egg, generally fried in bacon grease; unless they are hard boiled, then my puppy gets those gross solid yolks.]

That's the opposite of me. I don't care for fried eggs, and when they are boiled, I think of the whites as a "bowl" that holds the yummy. I "devil" them by adding mustard and paprika, then toss the slimy whites. hahaha

My favorite is scrambled or omelets though, when I mix yummy goodies like mushrooms and cheese into them. Yum!

You have kick-started a craving... tonight I'll be making deviled eggs.
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,723 Member
    Options
    all the protein is in the white anyway.

All of the flavor is in the yolk!
  • HealthyBodySickMind
    HealthyBodySickMind Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options

Indeed. I think I must try the mustard and paprika thing next time I do hardboiled, maybe also adding mayo or whipped salad dressing.
  • sunny_smile5
    sunny_smile5 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Interesting. I used to eat the whole egg -- whites and yolk in all -- but no longer eat the yolk since my doctor recommended I don't due to the high cholesterol in egg yolk. I now eat egg whites almost every day to get my protein at meals when I do not want actual meat.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

Whoopsie! Enjoy! I might do the same now that I think about it. :tongue:
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Whatever. In two weeks a study will come out saying egg yolks are amazing for your heart and help remove plaque. No one can decide on eggs.

I think I'll have some eggs for dinner, now. Yum!
  • Eupho
    Eupho Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I fcuking hate eggs but I call BS

:laugh: haha

anyhooo.. THANKFULLY I have always been a bit squeamish with eggs, and I never eat the yokes. (before or after diet/heathy/MFP) ..

YUCK!! :sick:
  • jpuderbaugh
    jpuderbaugh Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I fcuking hate eggs but I call BS

I too don't like eggs. Even the smell of them makes me gag.
  • Wenchilada
    Wenchilada Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    If you believe this anyway.....

Egg yolks almost as bad for your ticker as smoking, says study

Avert your eyes, egg-lovers. New research from Canada's Western University says eating egg yolks regularly is nearly as effective as smoking cigarettes when it comes to speeding up atherosclerosis, or coronary artery disease. The study looked at 1,231 men and woman with the average age of 61.5 years and found eating three or more egg yolks per week over the years was two-thirds as bad as smoking for increasing carotid plaque on your inner arterial wall, a risk factor for stroke and heart attack. Study authors stressed that "regular consumption of egg yolk should be avoided by persons at risk of cardiovascular disease." Boo! [Source]

http://now.msn.com/new-research-says-egg-yolks-increase-coronary-artery-disease

** I love eggs and always eat the whole egg it really helps me with my protein goal. I know there are a ton of people here who only eat the white.

(above emphasis mine)

It's not difficult to take a rather specific study and spin it to try to make it applicable to the general population, even without taking out any key words about the study's survey group. Nobody ever reads the news stories that carefully anyway. But really, how much more vague could their wording be?

Side note: I was trying to google for some other examples of specific research studies where the news outlets jump to sweeping conclusions, and was trying to think of other ways to phrase my search terms. Then this came up:

Bqg6k.png

:laugh:
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    Now I want eggs. I guess I know what I'm having for dinner! Yeah, I live on the edge.
  • Wenchilada
    Wenchilada Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I dunno about you guys but I kinda want to go home and make some scrambled eggs for lunch, with liquid smoke in the mix.
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    I hate seeing just the egg white in people's diaries. I always feel it's a bit of a disservice to the chicken! :ohwell:
  • ChunkiChica
    Options
    piratesarecool4.gif

Global warming is killing off the pirates? :frown:

Thank you for making me smile!!
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    I feel like the study authors do not know how to properly interpret their results.
  • _granola
    _granola Posts: 326
    Options
    I feel like the study authors do not know how to properly interpret their results.

I feel like the general public seems to be pretty bad at interpreting study results.