Egg Yolks as bad as Smoking!?

Options

Replies

• vytamindi
    vytamindi Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    Anyone got the global warming vs number of pirates pic?

Praises be to His Holiness FSM. WE WERE WARNED THIS WOULD HAPPEN!

ETA: I would totally be a pirate if I could eat a devil fruit. Preferably the Smooth Smooth fruit.

*patiently waits for someone to get this*
  • tuffytuffy1
    tuffytuffy1 Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    Poached eggs in a cup, side of buttered rye toast, side of bacon :drinker:
  • rlmadrid
    rlmadrid Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    piratesarecool4.gif

Global warming is killing off the pirates? :frown:

Either that or the lack of pirates is causing global warming.

I think we need more pirates to save the planet

Maybe we should become pirates?

Aye matey!
  • rlmadrid
    rlmadrid Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Poached eggs in a cup, side of buttered rye toast, side of bacon :drinker:

oh my gosh, drool...
  • _LilPowerHouse
    _LilPowerHouse Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    piratesarecool4.gif

Global warming is killing off the pirates? :frown:

Either that or the lack of pirates is causing global warming.

I think we need more pirates to save the planet

Maybe we should become pirates?

Aye matey!

Im already working on that!! :bigsmile:
  • kaotik26
    kaotik26 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    So don't eat so many of them in a week. Problem solved. It's always been suggested that you eat only about 3 yolks per week to include those baked into foods. It's all moderation.
  • Reinventing_Me
    Reinventing_Me Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    Love eggs! Mmmm...eggs!
  • PhilyPhresh
    PhilyPhresh Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I eat 4 eggs a day with no intention of stopping. I am healthy as a horse and lets face it... "studies" will always (okay, 95% of the time) be able to come up with whatever results they want to "prove".

While we're at it, better stop drinking water too as it is a proven fact that 100% of people who drink water WILL die. :tongue:
  • DiannaMoorer
    DiannaMoorer Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    Well, I think this is simply BS. "And that's all I have to say about that."
  • umer76
    umer76 Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    So whats the verdict, eggs are good or not? I know few people who suffered heart attack and for years they were eating a couple of eggs in the breakfast. People who have issues with cholesterol, eggs also increase the level of cholesterol.

I had opted for 2 eggs omelet via advice from MFP friends that these are low in calories. Before that I was taking milk with cereals in the breakfast and that was high in calories. Shall I go back to my old ways of milk and cereals?
  • _LilPowerHouse
    _LilPowerHouse Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    picardshenanigansbybtha.jpg
  • angieleighbyrd
    angieleighbyrd Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    I only eat a yolk maybe once a week because I don't like them. Most of the nutrients in the egg are in the yolk though. There is also a lot of cholesterol. If all you are eating is egg yolks and not getting off the couch then maybe the study is accurate.
  • twistofcain
    Options
    Breaking News: Venturing outside your house could increase your chances at dying a study shows.

The problem? Too many f*ucking studies.
  • VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what to think of that "study" yet, especially given the source from the link you provided...

"Spence added the effect of egg yolk consumption over time on increasing the amount of plaque in the arteries was independent of sex, cholesterol, blood pressure, smoking, body mass index and diabetes. And while he says more research should be done to take in possible confounders such as exercise and waist circumference, he stresses that regular consumption of egg yolk should be avoided by persons at risk of cardiovascular disease."

So they haven't taken into account other factors such as waist circumference and exercise? What other things haven't they taken in to account? It seems pretty premature to make the assumption egg yolks are that bad if other factors can contribute to the results. Of course, that is based on my completely non-professional opinion :)

WHAT?! Are you saying that chubby people eat more eggs AND have higher levels of atherosclerosis?!
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    They can be bad for some people who struggle with their cholesterol....but you also get a lot of nutrients from the egg yolk! You can get a lot of fat soluble vitamins and essential fatty acids.

I wouldn't write off Egg Yolks...

I personally believe in moderation.
  • PhilyPhresh
    PhilyPhresh Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Cholesterol is a solution in the body, not a problem. the body sends cholesterol to the arteries to heal things like inflammation. The reason people have so much cholesterol found in their arteries is because they do nothing about the inflammation being caused in their body and as a result, the body sends more and more cholesterol to try and solve the problem. And what foods cause inflammation?... I'm not going to start that argument on here...
  • kmacgera
    kmacgera Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    piratesarecool4.gif

LOL, you have it nailed!
  • fewolfe
    fewolfe Posts: 2
    Options
    They had someone on to talk about this study on Good Morning America and he said that it was done with people who already had high cholesterol and did not take anything else into account like exercise, weight, etc.... The Dr. they interviewed said that 6-7 eggs a week, or 1 a day, was not bad for the general individual if you didn't have other risk factors.
  • BrienJD
    BrienJD Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    Egg Beaters and manufacturers of like products probably funded the study, declining sales revenue maybe? The late great egg scare which spawned these products having lost its fear factor.
  • mfp_junkie
    mfp_junkie Posts: 359
    Options
    The study links egg consumption with hardening of the arteries, not cholesterol levels. It also specifically suggests that people at risk of a heart attack should avoid them.

From the study:

“What we have shown is that with aging, plaque builds up gradually in the arteries, and egg yolks make it build up faster — about two-thirds as much as smoking. In the long haul, egg yolks are not OK for most people.”

He added that the effect of yolk consumption was independent of sex, cholesterol, blood pressure, smoking, body mass index and diabetes.

And while he says more research should be performed to account for variables such as exercise and waist circumference, he stressed regular consumption of egg yolks should be avoided by people at risk of cardiovascular disease.