Replies

• WestCoastPhoenix
    WestCoastPhoenix Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    g1329693121672161586.jpg
  • this1bigdog
    this1bigdog Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I tell my daughter that daddy is fat...but never her...
  • redhousecat
    redhousecat Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    political correctness runs amuck in this country. Someone's little rugrat is going to get their feelings hurt if the right words aren't used.

You are STILL on this. For the love of gravy.

and this bothers you...why?
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Wow. I feel for the OP.

I understand promoting a healthy lifestyle etc. but there is nothing wrong with encouraging the child to care about his/her personal appearance also. Since when is it a crime to care how you look? It’s a good thing to care how you look. Caring how you look does not always equal an eating disorder!

It’s funny, if I tell people I’m losing weight to get healthy, they applaud me. If I tell them I’m losing weight because I want to look better, they act like I’m a horrible person.

Sorry, I’ll come straight out and say it: I find the look of fat just as unappealing as the health risks of fat. But to each their own. I seriously doubt there is a single person among you who isn’t at least partly trying to lose weight to improve your appearance though.

You aren't 3 and your mother didn't say to you what this woman said to her daughter. Or maybe she did, in which case you should understand where the rest of us are coming from.
  • MeliJean78
    MeliJean78 Posts: 249
    Options
    Your poor children. They don't stand a chance.

*sigh*

What's interesting about your comment is that it's not true. My mother was visiting the other day and she commented, your children are so rich in love. I've made a lot of sacrifices and took a lot of heat in order to go against culture and give my children a better chance. My harshest critics have all come around, because they see the results. God has shown me. I can't take any credit. I'm not a perfect parent, and Ive struggled like any other mother does with the huge job of training a child to become adults that will be a positive influence and positive impact on others. I believe in training children for adulthood, cuddling, not coddling. I don't insult them, but rather encourage them to do right and discipline them when they do wrong. And tell them the truth.

Peanut Butter is the DEVIL!! Truth be to God.

Is it almost time to roll on the ground and speaking in tongues?
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    I do not use the word. The last time my daughter used the word she got a very long talking to about how it's an ugly mean word and we don't use it.

I don't, won't and never will.

Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    How would you feel if your 3 year old daughter called YOU fat, or her sibling? Or ANYBODY for that matter. It's simply not appropriate, it's not now decent people talk. The fact you think coming on a fitness website and trying to pass telling your daughter she is going to get fat is a good thing, simply baffles.
  • LadyIvysMom
    LadyIvysMom Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Wow. I feel for the OP.

I understand promoting a healthy lifestyle etc. but there is nothing wrong with encouraging the child to care about his/her personal appearance also. Since when is it a crime to care how you look? It’s a good thing to care how you look. Caring how you look does not always equal an eating disorder!

It’s funny, if I tell people I’m losing weight to get healthy, they applaud me. If I tell them I’m losing weight because I want to look better, they act like I’m a horrible person.

Sorry, I’ll come straight out and say it: I find the look of fat just as unappealing as the health risks of fat. But to each their own. I seriously doubt there is a single person among you who isn’t at least partly trying to lose weight to improve your appearance though.

Perhaps you didn't read her original post?.... She told her child not to overeat on PB because it will make her fat.

Do you think it's appropriate to tell a 3 yr old not to eat something because they will be fat?

I don't really see anything wrong with telling a child not to overeat. Childhood obesity is a major problem in this country. This mom is doing what she needs to do to try and prevent her child from overeating. Would it have been any different if she said "don't eat that because you will get overweight" or "don't eat that because you might develop weight problems"? I suppose those might have been the kinder, gentler words to use but I personally don't sugar coat things or go for political correctness.
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I do not use the word. The last time my daughter used the word she got a very long talking to about how it's an ugly mean word and we don't use it.

But why teach those words? What is the purpose? There are more constructive ways to say things to children.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    political correctness runs amuck in this country. Someone's little rugrat is going to get their feelings hurt if the right words aren't used.

You are STILL on this. For the love of gravy.

and this bothers you...why?

It's seemingly the only thing your passionate about or care to talk about. I find it very annoying. Was that PC??
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I don't really see anything wrong with telling a child not to overeat. Childhood obesity is a major problem in this country. This mom is doing what she needs to do to try and prevent her child from overeating. Would it have been any different if she said "don't eat that because you will get overweight" or "don't eat that because you might develop weight problems"? I suppose those might have been the kinder, gentler words to use but I personally don't sugar coat things or go for political correctness.

I just have to assume you do not have children.
  • corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    Wow. I feel for the OP.

Perhaps you didn't read her original post?.... She told her child not to overeat on PB because it will make her fat.

Do you think it's appropriate to tell a 3 yr old not to eat something because they will be fat?

No. That's not what I asked. I asked you if it was appropriate to tell a 3yr old not to eat something because THEY WILL BE FAT. I said nothing about overeating in my question.
  • Aleluya17
    Aleluya17 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    :huh:
    6705c213.jpg
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options

I was thinking the same thing.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options

But why teach those words? What is the purpose? There are more constructive ways to say things to children.

How is fat a ugly word? Because you've deemed it so?

Words are just words.
  • corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options

I don't have or want children and know that you don't tell a 3yr old that. There's a difference between the honesty you tell a 3yr old and the honesty you tell a 23yr old.
  • GretchenReine
    GretchenReine Posts: 1,427 Member
    Options
    I'm going to blame peanut butter for my weight problems from now on!!!
  • CJisinShape
    CJisinShape Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    I will say this and this only. It is important to teach your children what a healthy relationship with food is. I was a fat kid, due to the diet my parents were providing, not getting enough exercise and medications to treat anxiety and depression that were started at a young age. If you read anything I say let it be this:

Your child is young now, chances are what you said will have no consequence. However My mom told me that I was fat a lot growing up. She told me that if I ate certain things I would get fat or fatter. She never meant to hurt me but it did. Making food the enemy is only going to cause trouble and low self esteem. how do i know this? I battled it for years. Until I reached adulthood that was all i could think about when I was eating is that what if it made me fatter. What if no one would love me as much if i got fatter?

My mum, who is a wonderful person just didn't know any better. Because of it i had a really negative relationship with food. What it boiled down to was my mom was very overweight for many years, and she had a really negative relationship with food. Maybe you need to check out for a second and think if you are putting your negative emotions towards food, and putting those on you daughter. Kids have enough pressure to be thin in this world, They need moms and dads to teach them that food isn't the enemy.

****Thank you so much for this explanation. Another poster said I should say that it's not the way we eat peanut butter we eat it on a sandwich. Both of these comments make the most sense to me. Im not into semantics, so I just didn't get the bush beating the others were advocating, nor the vitriol.
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options

Screw that. I call a spade a spade.

At 3, the kid is not going to remember a damn thing about the PB conversation, so it doesn't matter to the kid WHAT you say. Evidently, though, it matters to everyone else.

Maybe you should just keep your parenting style to yourself and be confident that YOU are doing the right thing by your kid. Mention it in a forum of "people" are you are marked for life for being the crappiest parent ever because you do it differently.

I have a friend that caught his three year old doing something he wasn't supposed to be doing, he told his three year old. "if I catch you again I will cut your fingers off".

About a month later his three year did what he wasn't supposed to again, his three year old took it upon himself to try and cut his finger off because he thought his dad would.

Moral of the story small children will believe anything their parents tell them, and using extreme examples can damage children, both physically and mentally.
  • LadyIvysMom
    LadyIvysMom Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    How would you feel if your 3 year old daughter called YOU fat, or her sibling? Or ANYBODY for that matter. It's simply not appropriate, it's not now decent people talk. The fact you think coming on a fitness website and trying to pass telling your daughter she is going to get fat is a good thing, simply baffles.

Aren't we all on this fitness website to try and avoid becomming fat? Or to stop being fat?
This discussion has been closed.