Tips for PCOS

Options

Replies

• bailbondbabs
    Options
    I have PCOS and could not carry a child, but now at 43, I am a Mommy to a beautiful adopted daughter. You are in my prayers.
  • axialmeow
    axialmeow Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS. I was over 300lbs at one point. I follow a low carb diet and have been 100% med free for years now.
  • Cupcakehippiemommy
    Cupcakehippiemommy Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I HATE when Doctors say it will be a struggle due to your PCOS...that is a load of cow chips lol It is a struggle for anyone.I was diagnosed with PCOS at 15 years of age and have had no issues thus far *knock on wood* My sister was diagnosed at 16 and told she could not have kids at 25 yrs old she has two lol

I only drink water,cut back on sugar and increased complex carbs and protein.Unfortunately my body loses weight as long as I move my bum lol You have sooooo many thing onyour side doll! You are young and motivated!

I have no symptoms now after losing more than 10% of my original weight (Sw 281/CW 206) So it is possible cupcake! Stick with it and just move, I started by walking every single day and still do :) Not too fast and not too slow, I am currently doing Jillian Michaels 30 DS twice a day and hope to start weighted hula hooping soon!

Mind over matter doll and just think I was in your spot years ago and did nothing now at 31 I am doing it and more determined than ever ^u^ Good luck doll and don't wait until your older start now!
    xoxo
  • sarah6336
    sarah6336 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Have you asked your doctor for a diet plan? It is definitely possible to lose weight with PCOS or any other condition. You may need medical advice, but I'm sure it is possible.
  • kmm7309
    kmm7309 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    PCOS over here as well!

I started at 270 pounds, and I've lost 56 pounds since March 13th. That was the day my doctor told me I would never have children if I didn't lose weight.

I started by taking everything white out of my diet (potatoes, white bread, white pasta) and replacing it with wheat. Then I started cutting down on the wheat intake. Now I am working on low carb. I eat between 50-130 carbs a day. I have the best success when I exercise, but honestly I don't (I'm taking six classes in school and I work, so the time is not there). I take Metformin, which I believe has generally helped my situation. I still have male pattern hair growth but my acne is a lot clearer. WATER helps so much with that!!

Fun fact, Jillian Michaels has PCOS as well. She controls her symptoms through rigorous diet and exercise. No pills. I'd like to get there one day. For now, since I've lost the 56 pounds, I'm ovulating every month and I'm regular for the first time in my life! Now I'm putting off motherhood to lose more weight. The more weight you lose (within reason of course) the better your chances are of conceiving and not miscarrying. Just take your time.
  • jmzz1
    jmzz1 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS. I was over 300lbs at one point. I follow a low carb diet and have been 100% med free for years now.
    u dont seem to have whole grains........ i do have whole grains 3 times in a day for my huge meals and snacks i tend to have fruits , bran biscuits etc......
    really confused as to how to reduce my carb?
  • jmzz1
    Options
    bump
  • jmzz1
    Options
    anyone any good low carb options other than meats and diary and nuts.........
  • montanadanni
    montanadanni Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    PCOS is such a hard thing to take on, i am not going to lie:( medication and/or hormones help and you should stick to it. losing weight helps A LOT!

i have pcos and i am pretty sure i still have it after losing 104lbs. the symptoms have decreased quite a bit and i am really happy with that but i am do for an endo apt in december to check me out.

i feel a lot better and hopefully can have kids with ease...*crossing my fingers*

how i did it:
    high protein and low carb
    cut out pop
    took my meds
    put more activity into my life
    drink lots of water
    i also eat gluten free
  • jmzz1
    Options
    PCOS is such a hard thing to take on, i am not going to lie:( medication and/or hormones help and you should stick to it. losing weight helps A LOT!

i have pcos and i am pretty sure i still have it after losing 104lbs. the symptoms have decreased quite a bit and i am really happy with that but i am do for an endo apt in december to check me out.

i feel a lot better and hopefully can have kids with ease...*crossing my fingers*

how i did it:
    cut out pop
    took my meds
    drink lots of water
    i also eat gluten free
    u have come a long way..... and hope ur wish is fulfilled .......... can i have the name of low carb high protein food ..... finding it really difficult since i have 2 servings of grains and lentils which increase my carb to a great extent.......... how much carb do u take in a day ........ and also amount of protein?
  • jmzz1
    Options
    bump
  • dustysbaby
    Options
    How much do you weigh now? Do you think the PCOS caused you to gain weight and not be able to lose it? My daughter has tried diets and exercise but says she feels as if she is starving all the time and constantly craving carbs. We get labs on Friday to hopefully give us some insight.
  • jmzz1
    Options
    How much do you weigh now? Do you think the PCOS caused you to gain weight and not be able to lose it? My daughter has tried diets and exercise but says she feels as if she is starving all the time and constantly craving carbs. We get labs on Friday to hopefully give us some insight.
    i weigh160lbs......... i do not know whether due to PCOS i have gained weight or not........ but i had reduced weight around 20lbs but now gained entire weight back and stuggling to loose it since i have reached a plateau........so thought of reducing my carb intake to less than 100gms .......... and really confused witht the low gi food concept...........
    lentils , whole grains etc. seem to be low gi fod but they increase the carb content.......
    hope those lab test help ur daughter....
  • krmiller4217
    krmiller4217 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jmzz1
    Options
    bump
  • jmzz1
    Options
    bump.......
  • EnchantedEvening
    EnchantedEvening Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    I had blood work done and found out I have insulin resistance. Since being on metformin, my life is so much better. It ensures my body will convert glucose to energy instead of fat. It's still a bit of a struggle, though. I have to eat like a diabetic, which means reducing my carbs and sugar. Reducing sugar was easy, but I loooooove carbs. He told me to keep them around 100 - 125 per day, so I can have SOME pasta and stuff, but I have to be careful and pre-log just to be sure.

Eating lower-carb can sometimes make it hard to get enough fiber, but I've managed to find a lot of fiber-rich foods that are low in carbs.

My doctor took me off the Pill too, because the estrogen can make insulin resistance worse. He said putting women on the Pill is common with PCOS and one of the absolute WORSE things a doctor can do to "fix it". He identified extremely low progesterone; my estrogen is fine. So the Pill really did nothing for me other than ensure I'd gain even more weight.

Since being on the progesterone mouth drops, I feel 1000000000% better. I basically had constant PMS from age 19 to 35. :( Now I feel great! It's amazing. My doctor gave me my life back. All those years (sixteen years!) of being fat and crazy... I'm so relieved it's over. Now I just have to lose the rest of the weight.
  • montanadanni
    montanadanni Posts: 184 Member
    Options

how i did it:
    cut out pop
    took my meds
    drink lots of water
    i also eat gluten free
    u have come a long way..... and hope ur wish is fulfilled .......... can i have the name of low carb high protein food ..... finding it really difficult since i have 2 servings of grains and lentils which increase my carb to a great extent.......... how much carb do u take in a day ........ and also amount of protein?

i kept my carbs to 50g. once i got that down it was easier to handle. then slowly i added more carbs to my diet and right now i am at 100g . don't want to release the carb monster! i take in 100 protein sometimes more. best place to look up a general layout is aitkens or south beach diet:)
  • jmzz1
    Options

how i did it:
    cut out pop
    took my meds
    drink lots of water
    i also eat gluten free

i kept my carbs to 50g. once i got that down it was easier to handle. then slowly i added more carbs to my diet and right now i am at 100g . don't want to release the carb monster! i take in 100 protein sometimes more. best place to look up a general layout is aitkens or south beach diet:)
    what did u eat for 50gms carbs.?.... since just 3 serving of fruit takes it upot tht gms
  • jmzz1
    Options
    bump