What keeps you running?

Options
123457»

Replies

• msmith2020
    msmith2020 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I keep running, not I HAVEN't hit my goals yet- I haven't- but b/c it makes me feel strong to wake up the next day and call myself a runner. To know that I can be anywhere in the world that if I want to workout, I can always run.
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    I envision the Grim Reaper plodding along behind me. The slower you go the faster he goes. Gotta keep on moving!
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    Once I start walking im done. I envison my Drill Seargent next to me motivating me. Or sometimes I will flip through my ipod till I find a good motivating song and sometimes its just put one foot in front of another mode those are the long hard runs not in miles either.
  • 120weeks
    120weeks Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Yesterday, the thought was...."If I lose a pound, the next time I run this will be even easier". And then I thought about how I will feel when I lose 2 pounds, 5 more pounds, 60 more pounds, etc. And then I was eventually thinking of how I will feel when I am really fit. I was doing all sorts of math in my head. I was adding up my children's weight and what it would feel like carrying them vs. not carrying them......and thinking about how much weight I have already lost and imaging carrying that extra weight in a backpack while running in that moment. Crazy stuff!

Overall, I guess ultimately I was thinking the cliche, If I can do this anyone can (with a little practice and determination).....And yesterday I did 5 miles!
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    Today, I spent half my run thinking about the hot woman who passed me at twice my speed, and looked like she was a triathlete and a serious lifter... then i kept telling myself that i should have started running years ago. and then i decided that she probably was only doing 5k, so my speed was ok for running 8 :tongue:.... i wouldn't have slowed down on this run for anything...

usually i just count my breaths, contemplate my next turn, whether to add some distance or go home, stop for some chinups at the playground... etc etc.

when i first started, i had to keep telling myself that the only person i am cheating if i quit running, would be myself. and myself was not in a forgiving frame of mind.
  • SouthernSkylark
    SouthernSkylark Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    When I'm at the Gym:
    I tend to always compare myself to other girls that are running, say if i'm already running on the treadmill and someone new gets on the one next to me I make a point of running until they get off... I never realised how competitive I was before joining the gym!

When I'm road running:
    I just keep telling myself that I've done it before and I can do it again.. also I come from a town where everyone knows each other so I keep running in case someone I know drives past me .. Hate when they go past If i'm just walking! I also love passing people out that are ahead of me.. walkers, people on bikes etc it feels so good ha!

Me too! Haha:laugh:
  • shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    one of the coaches of my high school track team would actually follow behind the runners in a car blowing the horn at them and would actually tap them if they fell to far behind (not hard enough to cause them to fall or anything) it was always joked that at track meets ppl would bring a car horn that sounded like his car and the kids would run faster
  • rmillsaps04
    Options
    Counting - I used to be on a rowing team, and whenever we were getting tired or reaching the end we would do a "Power 10" or "Power 20" strokes. It translates to about a "Power 50" or "Power 100" steps. For some reason having an end goal in sight helps me (even if I just start counting again when I get to 100 :)

I'm a counter too! 1-8, over and over again!
  • tobd55
    tobd55 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Me and the God I understand like to run
  • hlinn01
    hlinn01 Posts: 36
    Options
    bump, I count too!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Trying to stay one step ahead of..........

12614.jpg
  • mjbell642
    mjbell642 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    It also helps me to talk to my dog as if she's the one that's getting tired. lol "come on, just a little further, you got this"

I do the same. He is a yellow lab so a good jogging dog. But he is getting up there in age, so tonight I almost had to drag him the last 3/4 mille. He is collapsed on the floor now.