Options
mdove3411
mdove3411 Posts: 121 Member
Anyone had success with Zumba?

Replies

• beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    Yes and no. I'm not much of a dancer--I prefer heavy weights and running--so I didn't really stick with it. That's a no.

However, when I did it, I burned calories. That's a yes.
  • hfzimmerman
    hfzimmerman Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I didn't lose any weight when I did zumba but I lost inches!! I got pregnant so I stopped doing it but its a great and fun workout! I'm going to be trying some other stuff but I love zumba
  • FlamingJune67
    FlamingJune67 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! I've had to skip Zumba for the past month due to an ankle injury and, coincidentally, my weight loss has come to a standstill! Started back this week and it feels so good! Zumba is a really good whole body exercise - and it is a lot of fun! Just expect to feel awkward the first few times - everyone does!
  • chelledawg14
    chelledawg14 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    I love zumba - my arms are getting toned from it, but haven't really had weight loss from it. I work hard at it, but it all depends on the routine as to the calorie burn. I was burning 178-238 cals in 31-33 mins with the previous routines; the instruction changed them and I only burned 93 cals the last time and I'm not happy about it. Going back tonight and hopefully she's changed some things up; my heartrate never even got into the zone for me (114-148) where as before it was in the 130's - 160's; with the new routines I was at 93 most of the time. BUT, aside from being disappointed with the cals burned, I still love it. It is a lot of fun. I don't like dancing as in going out to clubs and dancing, but zumba is a blast.
  • marieautumn
    marieautumn Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    i've tried it but disliked it. I think it's targeted for people with more than 20lbs to lose, although it will get your heart rate up regardless of your weight. i just felt silly because there was a lot of spanish dance moves incorporated and i'm too stiff. plus the classes were too packed. On the flip side, i tried another class offered by my gym which was "Cardio dance party" which basically has the same goal as Zumba, but has different moves and music.
  • MamaWannaRun
    MamaWannaRun Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    yes, yes and yes. I was stopped from running and lifting (dr.'s orders) but he didn't say I couldn't dance.. so, yes, ZUMBA.
    I've lost almost 40 pounds.. Zumba is like any other exercise, you gotta give it your all and watch your calories in vs out.. if you don't understand a move the instructor is doing, just keep moving.. my wee girls always says, 'just keep swimming, you know, like Dorie says'... so, no matter what, MOVE, give it your all, have fun, laugh at yourself when you mess up (and you will) and dance like nobody is watching..
  • Kasmira0004
    Kasmira0004 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I have had better luck with "Just Dance" for the wii. I think it's because it's a larger variety of music, not just spanish/hop-hop which I'm really not a fan of anyway. I always felt silly doing zumba but I do know of ladies who have had great success with it. Try it out! Dancing in general is a fantastic way to lose weight/tone up/etc etc. You could even just turn the radio on and dance like a fool, which I end up doing most days too with my daughters :)
  • jljewell
    jljewell Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Yes, I've been using Zumba Fitness for PS3. The benefit to doing it at home with a game system is no one can see me making a fool out of myself. It is good cardio because you don't stop moving.
  • kacarter1017
    kacarter1017 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I use Zumba as part of my weekly workouts. I also do some strength work and running. As others have said, if you give it your all and push yourself it's a great workout and super fun! Our instructor is very high energy and doesn't use all Latin/hip hop but even throws in some country, Footloose, Michael Jackson. The energy of the instructor makes a big difference. When we've had a substitute, it's been much lower energy and not nearly as tough a class. For some people, this is what they are after, but it's not a good fit for me.

Be ready to laugh at yourself. And know that no one else really cares if you screw up- it all for fun!
  • oOMusicBabii
    Options
    I have zero rhythm when it comes to dancing and I look ridiculous, but, Zumba is a TON of fun. Gets you moving, sweating and burning calories.

Plus, if you're as bad as I, you get a good laugh at yourself.
  • _AalexisA_
    _AalexisA_ Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    yes i lost 30 pounds due to zumba. With heathly eating as well
  • ladyfox1979
    ladyfox1979 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I am a Zumba Addict! I do my Zumba fitness on the Wii for 45 mins 2x a week, I go to Curves and they have aZumba Circuit class 6 days a week. I go every monday and Friday. I love the music and energy I get from it. Of course I add in strength training during the week just because I need to keep my body guessing.

If I could I'd do it all the time
  • verdugogrl
    Options
    I enjoy Zumba, it will definiately make you burn calories, but its not as intense of a workout as I would like it to be. I do it on my light days so that I can still burn some calories and I have fun too :)
  • HeartME511healthy
    HeartME511healthy Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Not sure how successful it's supposed to be however I do love to do Zumba, Belly Dancing, U Jam dance classes as cardio, it keeps me going keeps me burning and one way of dancing without dancing.
  • hauer01
    hauer01 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I love it. Did it alot in the begining and now still incorporate it in with other exercise. I found it to be fun and a great workout. I would leave my class all sweaty and tired! You should try it, if you don't like it, it's only an hour of your life.
  • geonbaeLeilee
    geonbaeLeilee Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Oh, you mean Chaotic Flailing? I lost a couple inches. I think I'm not doing it right which is why it's not helping much. However, for burning calories, it's awesome!
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's a great part of my week and has been a routine since April 2011. I thought I would not like it but each teacher I've had is AMAZING. I have friends that have changed their lives due to Zumba. Plus, for me personally it burns more calories than any other exercise class.

It does not matter on your ability level--you make it your own.

If my Mom in her 60s can do Zumba post Cancer, treatments, and surgery--anyone can. You adjust it to your fitness level and needs. And no one is judging you. They are there to have fun and workout.

My class is filled with both men and women of all ages, races, shapes, and sizes.

To figure out your calorie burn go to: http://caloriesburnedhq.com/zumba-calories-burned/

You add it to your exercise list that way it is always there to choose from when you log it here
  • Onesnap
    Options
    I have had better luck with "Just Dance" for the wii. I think it's because it's a larger variety of music, not just spanish/hop-hop which I'm really not a fan of anyway. I always felt silly doing zumba but I do know of ladies who have had great success with it. Try it out! Dancing in general is a fantastic way to lose weight/tone up/etc etc. You could even just turn the radio on and dance like a fool, which I end up doing most days too with my daughters :)

Actually if the Zumba teacher is following the standard rules of Zumba it should not be all International Rhythms. There should be a huge variety of music and even current Top 40 music too. I forget the ratio but I think it's supposed to be 60% International Rhythms, and 40% other music.
  • Onesnap
    Options
    I use Zumba as part of my weekly workouts. I also do some strength work and running. As others have said, if you give it your all and push yourself it's a great workout and super fun! Our instructor is very high energy and doesn't use all Latin/hip hop but even throws in some country, Footloose, Michael Jackson. The energy of the instructor makes a big difference. When we've had a substitute, it's been much lower energy and not nearly as tough a class. For some people, this is what they are after, but it's not a good fit for me.

Be ready to laugh at yourself. And know that no one else really cares if you screw up- it all for fun!

Yep, that's the way they are supposed to do it with the music! (at least that is the way the teachers are taught when they are certified).
  • Anola13
    Anola13 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Zumba. I usually do it 3-4 times a week, but have taken a bit of a hiatus to try other things. I started back up this week and I felt great afterwards. I'm so happy to hear I wasn't the only one who didn't lose weight, but inches. My hips and legs shrunk more doing Zumba than anyother exercise I have ever done! I recommend going to classes instead of a video game if you can. So much more fun!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!