Zumba?!

Options

Replies

• momjmd
    momjmd Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Just started doing Zumba and I love it. I am completely uncoordinated so I have a hard time with some of the moves but I will pick them up soon I am sure. It is a lot of work. There is a wide range of shapes and sizes in my class too which I like as I am definitely on the bigger side and I hate taking classes with all of the super skinny girls as I feel even bigger, kwim.

Try it- it is fun. And after doing it last night, I am definitely feeling it this morning in my shoulders and legs.
  • mcarras1
    Options
    Zumba is the best! But you really get out of it what you put into it. If youre lazy you didnt burn the 500-600 calories, putting in the effort really makes it benneficial. I love group workouts because they always push me to work harder than everyone around me,
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I love Zumba - I only do it once a week right now, but I burn about 380 calories in a 50 minute session. It's like any other exercise it works as a part of my general routine. I use an HRM to track my calories and some days I burn more sometimes less. I am still learning the steps, but that will come. I'm looking for a gym that offers more classes a week. Right now I'm taking lessons from a private teacher and the class is small so she spends time teaching us the moves.
  • jcjsjones
    jcjsjones Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Zumba is fun and a calorie torcher! I only get to go on Saturdays, but I love going. I call it my "fun exercise" day! I also run and weight train, so it's just part of my routine. I will say that if you take a class, make sure you get a good instructor. The good ones will flat wear you out!!
  • shell4short76
    shell4short76 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I love Zumba!! It's so much fun. :)
    How do we list it in our exercises on here though???
  • twiglips
    twiglips Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I love Zumba! It's a great all over cardio workout and it's fun. The hour long class seems to fly by - much faster and easier for me to handle than that same time on the elliptical or treadmill.
  • schortey
    schortey Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I have had success with Zumba toning. Eventhough Zumba is a great class, your body needs more like weights. I started off just doing regular Zumba and my progress was very slow.
  • KeriW626
    KeriW626 Posts: 430
    Options
    bump,
  • mamasmaltz3
    mamasmaltz3 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    I happened to be looking up Zumba on YouTube yesterday and I found a class taught by a man who is amazing! He obviously has some serious dance training. I will definitely be trying it in the privacy of my home because I will look the fool trying to do it but it looks like a lot of fun.

Here is the link: http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=uDgbBdS9W54
  • vidchick73
    vidchick73 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I love Zumba! I highly recommend a class vs game based. If is designed to be interval training so it fluctuates from fast paced to slower. It's an excellent way to burn calories. I have about 50# to lose and I burn about 700 cal in an hour. Also, I found after the first couple classes, that wall I would hit around the 20 min mark disappeared, again, try a class vs a game because if some of the moves are too high impact, the instructor can show you modified moves until you can do the more advanced stuff.

A friend lost like 30+ of baby weight with it and loved it so much that she became an instructor.
  • rlmadrid
    rlmadrid Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    From a Spanish dance point of view, it's kind of fun. I don't find it to be an intense workout though so I wouldn't suggest making it your only form of exercise unless you are quite sedentary and have a lot to lose.
  • mamasmaltz3
    mamasmaltz3 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    From a Spanish dance point of view, it's kind of fun. I don't find it to be an intense workout though so I wouldn't suggest making it your only form of exercise unless you are quite sedentary and have a lot to lose.

I posted a link on this thread to a YouTube video of a class taught by a man. If you are moving like he moves in this class it is a very intense cardio workout. As with any exercise it is what you put into it. Obviously there are some girls in the class that are not working as hard as him but they are working at their level.

Here is the link again: http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=uDgbBdS9W54

After you do what he does let me know if you still think it is not intense, lol.
  • flr_ms
    flr_ms Posts: 1
    Options
    I lost 5 pound by Zumba. Just keep moving, no matter how did the instructor teach. The purpose is move. Everyday i do 2.5hs zumba in the early evening and in the night after dinner. it work for me very well. i don't like running, too hard for me and can't stick on it. I learn zumba from "YouTube", follow different instruction. When i used to one music, i switch to the new one, always keep fresh and curious. i try to learn little bit salsa, belly dance and sanba as well. They are much more help to do zumba
  • hpetre1988
    hpetre1988 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Yes! I zumba at least 3 times a week for about half an hour each time. Add that with my morning jog, my evening jog, and the biggest loser program on the wii (and of course the calorie counting) I have lost about 21 pounds in 4 weeks. Zumba is great if you enjoy dancing and are fairly good at it, but it won't work if you don't have the rhythm. The goal is to keep you moving and keep your heart rate up. In about 30 minutes I burn almost 400 calories from it. I LOVE it! :)
  • dcain2
    dcain2 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I have zero rhythm when it comes to dancing and I look ridiculous, but, Zumba is a TON of fun. Gets you moving, sweating and burning calories.

Plus, if you're as bad as I, you get a good laugh at yourself.

^^^This
    I started a biggest loser type contest at my work and we have Zumba Tuesdays after work.....we have alot of fun and probably burn as many calories from laughing as we are from dancing! :laugh:
  • rlmadrid
    rlmadrid Posts: 694 Member
    Options

I posted a link on this thread to a YouTube video of a class taught by a man. If you are moving like he moves in this class it is a very intense cardio workout. As with any exercise it is what you put into it. Obviously there are some girls in the class that are not working as hard as him but they are working at their level.

Here is the link again: http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=uDgbBdS9W54

After you do what he does let me know if you still think it is not intense, lol.

I didn't mean to come off rude, I promise. I just meant that I prefer running or working on the eliptical for endurance cardio. I enjoy Zumba, it just felt more like fun then cardio. I guess that's a plus side lol.

Having said all of that, Spanish dancing isn't exactly new to me so it truly is a personal preference.
  • MuscleJunkieK8
    Options
    Yes, especially on the days I could not get out of the house to run, walk, and get in my much needed cardio.

Even just 10 minutes of real zumba will get you a good burn, but go for as long as you can! If you can get up to 30 minutes of zumba, woohoo!!

It is a great burn, a great way to kick start your day, and it tones your body.
  • OfficiallySexyVal
    OfficiallySexyVal Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I have lost 46 pounds and my lost is from a combo of Zumba classes and spinning classes, I do 2 spinning classes a week and about 3 zumba classes.... working on becoming a Zumba instructor so I can shead the last 70lbs I have left to lose!

I think if you get a good instructor it is an amazing workout!!!
  • lillypadstudio
    lillypadstudio Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I have been instructing Zumba for about a year and a half. A few moths ago, I had some ladies in my class do a fitness challenge. We did not do a wight loss challenge. What we did was measure everyone and after 6 weeks remeasured again. The winner in my class lost 9.75 inches all over. Zumba is a fun cardio exercise for losing about a dress size or 2. It also helps with endurance and burns a ton of calories. Incorporating a scultping/weighifting routine during the week is a must if you want to see weight loss. If you only do cardio routines, you will not see the results and hit a plateau. All the best to you on your fitness journey.
  • rextcat
    rextcat Posts: 1,408 Member
    Options
    Yes, I've been using Zumba Fitness for PS3. The benefit to doing it at home with a game system is no one can see me making a fool out of myself. It is good cardio because you don't stop moving.
    *this* only mine is on the wii
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!