How much do you spend a week on groceries?

Options

Replies

• LoraleiDean
    Options
    West Coast of Canada and 4 adults. About $135/week. I do a Costco stock-up once per month for bulk meats, T.P. detergents etc. Hit the local Produce stores and Farmer's Markets and generally get what is in season. Bell Peppers are under $1.50/lb here. We have really cut down on our carbs as all of us are trying to reduce our waistlines, so we rarely buy breads. Go out to eat maybe twice/month, usually to all-you-can-eat Sushi!
  • saverys_gal
    saverys_gal Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    Anywhere from $80-$180 a week. It varies a great deal but I've found that making a menu on Saturday or Sunday and buying everything I need keeps my spending in check. Also some weeks are higher than others due to the fact that we need household cleaning products and toiletries. I spent $180 last Sunday between my local grocery and Wal-Mart-but saved closed to $25 at the grocery from coupons and special deals. I got my fridge/freezer stocked for the week's menu plus some extra...and we eat chicken/pork/beef daily and I consume high amounts of veggies/fruit.

ETA: it's just me and my hubby
  • tishajo
    tishajo Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I definitely need to look into meal planning and coupons!

^^^^^^Same here. I spend about $150 every two weeks for 2 adults and a toddler. That's not including Pull-Ups, Dog Food, and extra trips to the store during the week for more milk.
  • javagsd
    javagsd Posts: 82
    Options
    $150/week for 2 people does seem high to me. I spend $40 or less per week for one adult and eat very well. When I really work at it I can come in under $25 a week. The key is no packaged or highly-processed foods and shopping the sales. If I want to come in at the $25 budget I'll do things like make my own yogurt instead of buying the weekly container of Fage (usually the highest priced item I buy each week). It does help to be in CA, where produce is cheap and having a bit of a garden planted in things that are normally expensive to buy, like herbs and kale. Cutting out diet sodas was a huge savings.
  • mandypizzle
    mandypizzle Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    About 150 a week for 2 adults, 3 children. Sometimes more or less. Just depending on lots of things.
  • jynxxxed
    jynxxxed Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    Around $150-200 a week for two adults. I also have two cats if that's relevant.
    But that's including EVERYTHING since we buy it all at once (toilet paper, new clothes here and there, toothpaste, etc.).

I used to think that was horrible but seeing everybody elses responses I don't feel so bad!
  • NoahandPresleysMom
    NoahandPresleysMom Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I'm a MAJOR couponer. AND I take advantage of Walmaert's price matching. For my hubs, me and two kids I spend $150.00 every two weeks and I'm so good on alot of things the following two weeks I may not even spend a dime!
  • nikkirec
    nikkirec Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    $500 every two weeks, family of 5(three teenagers) and we live on an island in Alaska so it's expensive.
  • MissyBenj
    MissyBenj Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I spend about 60 - 80 every two weeks on groceries. I coupon, sale watch, and use safeways "Just4u" app. 2 adults, 2 children... It's cheap when you try. :)
  • jakidb
    jakidb Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    I spend about $100 a week for 3 ppl but if I increase fruits/fresh veggies, chances are i'm going to spend about $150 plus
  • SweetDorothySweat
    SweetDorothySweat Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I don't know where some of these people live who spend so little, but I live in Colorado. I spend $150-$200/week on groceries for two adults and a one year old. However I do eat mostly organic meats and cheeses and I eat steak/fish about 1-3 times a week.
  • wlkumpf
    wlkumpf Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    If it were just me I ould prob do 15 a week. Maybe not long term, but while I was saving money easilly.
    Couponing for cereal. I don't add or drink much milk.
    There is 5 oatmeal revolution for 1.25 right now at my store even.

I like caseroles, I could do a bunch of vegies with a little ground beef and some noodles and eat it all week long.

Add a loaf of bread and sandwich meat (whatever is on sale) or tuna on sale and there is the third meal. OR just some lettuce and tomatoes for a vegetarian option.
    Rice is cheap, you could add that and some cheap frozen vegies in too.

I am actually on the other end of the spectrum. Too much variation day to day, not good at planning and lots of hungry kids. Lots of milk and fresh fruit and vegies. Meat or protein every meal for my food program. I spend probably 1200 or more on food and paper plates and cups and silverwear as well as cleaning supplies for counters and high chairs.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Family of four

$100/week (roughly)
  • carreening
    Options
    For two adults we spend between $50 and $80 a week, which also includes things like cat food and dish soap. My husband won't eat leftovers, so I've started just buying what we'll eat for a meal and maybe a leftover lunch for me each day.
  • Hambone23
    Hambone23 Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    On a bad day (read here: a day I overspend), anywhere from $150-200 for 2 folks. Granted, that usually includes pricey items like veggies, meat, garbage bags, massive collections of toilet paper, detergent, etc., etc.

Economy-wise, I usually shoot for around $60-70 for 2 adults. We don't buy a lot of fresh vegetables or fruits because they're too expensive for our budget at the moment. And our farmer's market is twice as expensive as the store.

I might spend $100 one week, though, to stock up on some meat or poultry to add into our dinners now and then over the next week. Or I might splurge on some vegetables when we can manage it.

The boyfriend brown bags it too.

Health Food vs. Non-Health Food Debate: Our grocery bill doubles if I try to really incorporate veggies into our meals.
  • alexis831
    alexis831 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Wow…. Should I even answer this!!! I spend 75.00 for a family of 7 and that includes diapers and formula toilet paper to girl items (we have 4 girls in our house "of age"). I use to be an extreme couponer however have downgraded to a price matcher at walmart. I have a deep freezer and only buy when its on sale and in bulk. Like drumsticks are .67 a pound this week, 1.49 for hamburger meat, 1.57 for chicken breast, .67 for whole chickens, 5 pounds for .99 on bananas, oranges, and 4/.99 on tomatoes and so on. Think heads of lettuce at 4/.99 this week too but we are stocked from last week. Milks at .88 a half gallon or 1.67 each but we are stocked from that from last week when they are 2/3.00. Corn 5/1.00 and no steaks on sale this week however pork chops are at 1.39 a pound so we might do those. Anyway there you go!

Don't get me going on school clothes... went to other mothers for the quarter sales this past saturday.... bought 75 pieces of clothing from Tommy boy, arepostle, gap, carters, and so on. Would have paid 15 but I had a 5.00 off coupon. Walked out with a garbage bag full of clothes for 10.00 for all my kids including 4 wonderful big jackets. No shoes this go around but we did hit the clearance at walmart and they had brand new OP shoes for 5.00. That was nice.
  • slimmermomma
    slimmermomma Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I spend about 100-130 a week for 3 of us (me, my husband and a toddler) - I live in Atlantic Canada
  • kayfrog
    kayfrog Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to stay at 50-75 a week (and learning how to cook healthy) for 2 people. Before the lifestyle change, I was spending 100-150 a week.
  • KWNurse
    KWNurse Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I spend about $150/week for my husband and myself, but he likes to eat so I buy quality meats and fish, etc...It's the one thing we don't skimp on...
  • Psychoanalytic
    Options
    Wow…. Should I even answer this!!! I spend 75.00 for a family of 7 and that includes diapers and formula toilet paper to girl items (we have 4 girls in our house "of age"). I use to be an extreme couponer however have downgraded to a price matcher at walmart. I have a deep freezer and only buy when its on sale and in bulk. Like drumsticks are .67 a pound this week, 1.49 for hamburger meat, 1.57 for chicken breast, .67 for whole chickens, 5 pounds for .99 on bananas, oranges, and 4/.99 on tomatoes and so on. Think heads of lettuce at 4/.99 this week too but we are stocked from last week. Milks at .88 a half gallon or 1.67 each but we are stocked from that from last week when they are 2/3.00. Corn 5/1.00 and no steaks on sale this week however pork chops are at 1.39 a pound so we might do those. Anyway there you go!

Don't get me going on school clothes... went to other mothers for the quarter sales this past saturday.... bought 75 pieces of clothing from Tommy boy, arepostle, gap, carters, and so on. Would have paid 15 but I had a 5.00 off coupon. Walked out with a garbage bag full of clothes for 10.00 for all my kids including 4 wonderful big jackets. No shoes this go around but we did hit the clearance at walmart and they had brand new OP shoes for 5.00. That was nice.

I wish more people understood this concept. Groceries and necessities for my husband and I, two cats, and a large dog runs me about $150 a month at the most.