How much do you spend a week on groceries?

Options

Replies

• heytherestephy
    heytherestephy Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I'm not the one who foots the grocery bill normally but for the two of us it's not unusual to drop around $120 on a shopping trip, granted we try to use EVERYTHING up before we go shopping again so our grocery trips are usually every 2 weeks.

We also shop at Costco.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    We spend $800/mo on groceries to feed the 3 of us. I'm trying to get that down to our actual budget of $500/mo. $180 goes to our local farmer for our meat. The rest is what we need to make dinners with. So about $75/week is my current goal. It's not easy.
  • paulaviki
    paulaviki Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    I'm in the UK and spend about £60-80 a week in the supermarket for me and my husband but that includes non food items like loo roll and cleaning products. I could spend less but I like to shop at sainsburys and tend to buy things like meat which has better welfare standards and sausages which are 97% pork. That plus fresh fruit and veg isn't cheap! I take a packed lunch to work everyday so don't generally spend any extra unless its buying things like milk.
  • Stephanie_Autry
    Stephanie_Autry Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I'm only buying for myself right now since my husband is away for his deployment. Therefore, I spend around $50-$90 a month on groceries for myself.
  • amberlykay1014
    amberlykay1014 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    We spend about $125 per week (2 adults, 2 kids). I wish we could save $$$ by going to the farmer's market, but I find around here it's actually more pricey than the supermarket. ??!?

The farmer's market is more expensive at times in my area too, but that's because they have to pay an insane amount of rent to sell their good there. One tip is to make friends with the vendors and ask them where else they sell their produce. You can probably buy it right from their farm where their prices are lower if you are willing to drive around a little bit more and support local farms at the same time.

As for my groceries, its usually about $100/wk for myself and my fiance. He only eats dinners with me though.
  • It_never_ends
    It_never_ends Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I spend about $60 a week on me and my guy. I also work in a restaurant so I can bring home food. Saves the food bill. I also buy a lot of cheap foods like ramen, pasta and potatos.

We used to make more money and my average weekly bill was $100-150 of healthy foods. I would make homemade soup, stew and much more.
  • petiteLady89
    petiteLady89 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Normally about $150 average. Some weeks a bit less if my husband is gone a lot and sometimes closer to $200 if I need to replenish meats and such. There are three adults and two children.
  • amberlykay1014
    amberlykay1014 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    The stores here do not reduce the price of meat because it needs to be sold that day. It is the same price as any other time. When the date passes, they stop selling it.

Yes, I've heard Americans say this doesn't happen in their stores. That's a shame - it's a waste of the food if it doesn't get sold and has to be thrown out - although I believe there is a subculture of Americans who do dumpster diving to get the food for free. Or so I've read.

What about coupons - extreme couponing? I've heard a lot of Americans talk about this, and it is something we don't really have in the UK, so I don't know a lot about it. Can all Americans do this, or is it only available in some places?

From what I know about extreme couponing is that it is mostly seen on reality tv and most grocery store in the US have limits on coupons and real Americans can never get away with what you read/hear about. Anyone do exteme couponing?
  • juliebeannn
    juliebeannn Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Northern NJ - 2 adults $75-100/week
  • Bobbie_89
    Bobbie_89 Posts: 146
    Options
    I spend about 250$ that lastest for me about 2 and half weeks with 2 adults and 1 child. I'm spliting the food between my healthy foods and the boyfriend's non-healthy foods and his lunches for work. So I think I do pretty good right now.
  • feltlikesound
    feltlikesound Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Our grocery budget is $150 per pay cheque for two adults, so roughly every two weeks. It is tight, but money in general is tight so we can't really do much about it!
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    5 people. 200-250 a week.

i eat low carb, rest of family eats whatever i buy
  • JOEYJACKMOM
    Options
    Wow! I spend WAY more than most. We eat pretty clean (except this last week), mostly organic, fresh fruit, veggies, pasture-raised meats, sustainable fish, etc. For 2 adults and 2 children (6 and 9 years old) we spend $300 - $400 per week on food. We live in Houston, so food costs are relatively cheap.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    I live in Alaska. You don't want to know some of the prices. I paid 8$ for a gallon of Florida's all natural orange juice.

ETA: 4 mouths.

I live in the Yukon.

I feels ya. It's even worse here.

I'm from the Yukon and now I live in Nunavut. I can tell you that the food in the Yukon is not too bad (a little more if one buys free range and organics and even the farmers market is high at times) considering the location. You have road access and that keeps the price reasonable, but only in Whitehorse for some reason. Eating the same quality (if I could even get organic or free range food!) in Nunavut is about $2000 per month, and I spent $600-$800 tops in the Yukon. That's me and one toddler.

Two LITRES of natural, fresh orange juice is about $16 in my community, if I remember correctly (I don't buy it). I do buy an orange on occasion and one orange is $2 to $4 each.

Yes, I "choose" to live here, but it sucks to go broke just to eat! lol (Can hardly wait to return to the Yukon! Grass is always greener....)
  • It_never_ends
    It_never_ends Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I live in Alaska. You don't want to know some of the prices. I paid 8$ for a gallon of Florida's all natural orange juice.

ETA: 4 mouths.

I just moved from Wasilla Alaska! I feel like I'm paying the same amount though.
  • rocketqueen81
    Options
    I was wondering this the other day actually. Makes me feel better to know I'm shopping about average. I shop for 3 adults and usually spend approx $100-150/week.
  • Feed_the_Bears
    Feed_the_Bears Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Yeah I'd say (in Toronto) I spend a comparible amount. Google something called "food inflation", during the recession prices for groceries skyrocketted, and well, never came down.
  • kelso235
    Options
    I find it's usually around $45 for just myself. I've started making a rough meal plan for two weeks at a time as I just finished school so I'm on a pretty tight budget AND I want to eat healthier. That includes occasionally buying things like smoked salmon or better cuts of meat. Haven't perfected the meal plan yet but after the first two weeks realized I was buying wayy more than I needed each week. Also, when you have an idea of what you're going to eat already it helps a lot with budget both financially and for food intake. I haven't lost weight necessarily since I started using the app but I am a size smaller so I have seen some improvement!
  • marthathebear
    Options
    $150+ each week for two people
  • AmyP619
    AmyP619 Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    We're good for around $120 a week, and it's just my husband and I. We buy just what we need.... we buy whatever we run out of for household goods then enough food for about 5-6 meals per week since we have protein shakes for lunch and eat out once over the weekend. Then we buy stuff for breakfast, morning snack, and afternoon snack..and that is it!! Just the essentials! Food is way too expensive! I don't want to know what it'll be like when we have kids! lol