How much do you spend a week on groceries?

Options

Replies

• britfout
    britfout Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    This is why we don't have much fun money! 200/ week most weeks but sometimes we will go every two weeks. Yikes. (for a family of 3)
  • FuneralDiner
    FuneralDiner Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    £15-20 a week, for one person. :)
  • nikki_att84
    nikki_att84 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    we live in montreal canada and we spent about 100...to 150 a week for 2
  • char_char_piper
    Options
    My husband and I easily spend between $200-250 per week, but we buy a lot of fresh, organic and whole ingredients. These things tend to cost a bit more than processed foods do, but are well worth it in the overall scheme of things. We have my nine year old daughter to feed too; so we are a household of three.
  • opuntia
    opuntia Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I have a deep freezer and only buy when its on sale and in bulk. Like drumsticks are .67 a pound this week, 1.49 for hamburger meat, 1.57 for chicken breast, .67 for whole chickens, 5 pounds for .99 on bananas, oranges, and 4/.99 on tomatoes and so on. Think heads of lettuce at 4/.99 this week too but we are stocked from last week. Milks at .88 a half gallon or 1.67 each but we are stocked from that from last week when they are 2/3.00. Corn 5/1.00 and no steaks on sale this week however pork chops are at 1.39 a pound so we might do those. Anyway there you go!

This is how I do my shopping too. I buy nice food like steak and salmon, which is normally expensive, but I buy it when it's reduced to a very cheap price because it needs to be sold that same day, and then I freeze it. It's possible to eat very well on a low budget.
  • hippietofugirl
    Options
    I spend approx. $130 / week for 2 adults and a baby but that includes diapers and whatnot
  • kehuizenga
    kehuizenga Posts: 151
    Options
    I spend about $40-50 on just me (maybe 1 or 2 meals I will cook for my boyfriend and I to eat together). I buy almost everything fresh rather than frozen. I live in Chicago--prices here aren't horrible, but it was a huge change when I moved here from a small town in Indiana (and shopped at the super WalMart, which we do not have in Chicago--here I shop at a small, locally-owned grocery store). Skim milk for over $3/gallon still boggles my mind sometimes. Or that the big container of Florida's Natural OJ is $5.99 (eek!). Oh well--at least I don't have to drive everywhere, right!? (Good thing because gas is like $4.50/gallon here.)
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    we spend about $25-$30/wk at the market, max. maybe about the same on eating out per week. edit: that's not each, that's total.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    About $200 a week for myself, spouse, & toddler
  • Wingnut755
    Wingnut755 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    family of 3 = 1000 month
  • CM9178
    CM9178 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    deleted
  • CM9178
    Options
    I have a deep freezer and only buy when its on sale and in bulk. Like drumsticks are .67 a pound this week, 1.49 for hamburger meat, 1.57 for chicken breast, .67 for whole chickens, 5 pounds for .99 on bananas, oranges, and 4/.99 on tomatoes and so on. Think heads of lettuce at 4/.99 this week too but we are stocked from last week. Milks at .88 a half gallon or 1.67 each but we are stocked from that from last week when they are 2/3.00. Corn 5/1.00 and no steaks on sale this week however pork chops are at 1.39 a pound so we might do those. Anyway there you go!
    I have never seen these prices EVER in my lifetime.
    The cheapest I've ever seen bulk drumsticks for are $1.29/lb.
    LEAN hamburger meat is usually about $2.99/lb ON SALE.
    Chicken breast (BULK) packs are NEVER cheaper than $1.99/lb on sale
    whole chickens I don't really buy - but I believe they are usually 99cents/lb on sale.
    And the fruit, veggies are never that cheap.
    Milk is usually about $2 something per HALF gallon. I don't like freezing milk either, so I buy it weekly whether it is on sale or not.
    Corn on the cob - usually the cheapest sale when it is in season is about 5 ears for $3.00.
  • CM9178
    Options
    This is how I do my shopping too. I buy nice food like steak and salmon, which is normally expensive, but I buy it when it's reduced to a very cheap price because it needs to be sold that same day, and then I freeze it. It's possible to eat very well on a low budget.

The grocery stores here do not reduce the price of meat because it needs to be sold that day. It is the same price as any other time. When the date passes, they stop selling it.
  • spacecase76
    spacecase76 Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Usually around $80 a week. Now that school is back in session for the kids, it will go down. It is me, and my 2 girls one is 12, the other is 4. This also includes paper towels, toilet paper, deodorant, shampoo, etc.. It is just my typical Walmart bill.

I am in Louisiana.
  • cavewoman15
    cavewoman15 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    $90-100 a week for two people. i really wish it was lower!!
  • opuntia
    opuntia Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    The stores here do not reduce the price of meat because it needs to be sold that day. It is the same price as any other time. When the date passes, they stop selling it.

Yes, I've heard Americans say this doesn't happen in their stores. That's a shame - it's a waste of the food if it doesn't get sold and has to be thrown out - although I believe there is a subculture of Americans who do dumpster diving to get the food for free. Or so I've read.

What about coupons - extreme couponing? I've heard a lot of Americans talk about this, and it is something we don't really have in the UK, so I don't know a lot about it. Can all Americans do this, or is it only available in some places?
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    Not counting protein powder, probably around $100 for myself.

We have Sprouts Farmer's Market here in Dallas and they have sales on all their meats every week. Pretty much once every two months they'll have 90/10 grass-fed beef for between $5 to 6 per lb compared to the regular $9. When they go on sale I buy around 7 lbs of it to freeze.

All the neighborhood farmer's markets here have weekly sales rotations on produce and veggies in general so its a great way to save. I buy most of my fruits and veggies, though, from the Asian market since their prices can't be beat - and they sell the same organic and natural brands as Whole Foods and farmer's markets.

The Wal-Marts here discount meats that expire within 3 days - usually at 30% off.
  • Nefetete
    Nefetete Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I am in Toronto and spend close to 100 just for one... Veggies and fruits cost an arm and a leg :frown:
  • Midnight_Sunshine
    Midnight_Sunshine Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I live in Alaska. You don't want to know some of the prices. I paid 8$ for a gallon of Florida's all natural orange juice.

ETA: 4 mouths.

I live in the Yukon.

I feels ya. It's even worse here.
  • zeebruhgirl
    zeebruhgirl Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    For two of us we spend 75 a week. Sometimes a little more when we are out of everything.