What do you WANT to hear?

Options
124»

Replies

• honey_bee_keysha
    honey_bee_keysha Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    I like hearing the words "what's your secret or how did you do it?" It makes me think that my hard work is paying off.
  • ShreddedTweet
    ShreddedTweet Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    I'd like to hear, 'Wow, you look fit' or 'You look strong'... That would rock lots!
  • smilesalot1969
    Options
    If im looking slim enough for people to notice ive lost weight then anything positive would be very welcome!!
  • Shanzstar
    Shanzstar Posts: 197
    Options
    I love it when they say nothing at all, but give you that look that says everything you would love to hear. :)
  • Taneil27
    Taneil27 Posts: 253
    Options
    Someone said to me once "You have really lost weight, you look great!" And it made my entire month.
  • MrsM1ggins
    MrsM1ggins Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    I was walking around a theme park with my sister and her kids. I was a couple of yards in front when she said somethiing like "oh, for goodness sake!!", so I turned around to see what the problem was.

She said "I was looking for you but I couldn't see you. I'm not used to seeing you that size!"
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I'd take any compliments, even the backhanded ones!!!!
  • Julietecosse
    Options
    I too thought that was a completely unnecessary remark.
  • Eloira
    Eloira Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    "You are so beautiful. Ughhahhhh. I'm sorry. I just jizzed in my pants."

That made me lol so much
  • pcotter54
    pcotter54 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I think the best is to stick to saying "You look great!" or something like that. Even people who aren't too sensitive can get a little touchy and interpret a compliment on their new looks as an indication that they looked horrible before. I try to never mention the specifics (weight, haircut, clothing style) unless and until the person with the new haircut or whatever brings up that particular change in his or her appearance.
  • horsehockey
    horsehockey Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I'd prefer to be treated as a normal person (vs how overweight folks are viewed and approached in this society), rather than hear a compliment.
    No. You can't win with some of the people here. They're never happy, so they can say "I'm never happy." It's a whole victim mentality. Waiting for someone else to notice them and read their mind.

So not being comfortable with attention is now a victim mentality? You realize some folks are unhappy for other reasons, yes?
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    I'd prefer to be treated as a normal person (vs how overweight folks are viewed and approached in this society), rather than hear a compliment.
    No. You can't win with some of the people here. They're never happy, so they can say "I'm never happy." It's a whole victim mentality. Waiting for someone else to notice them and read their mind.

So not being comfortable with attention is now a victim mentality? You realize some folks are unhappy for other reasons, yes?

What you don't realize is that the compliment that you think is somehow making fun of you is something that people say to "normal" people. It is a victim mentality.
  • jasenka81
    Options
    I love seeing people I haven't seen in awhile, and they go "wow, you look great!"

15031136.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • beattie1
    beattie1 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    I don't tend to get offended when someone makes a compliment which is simply stating what they are thinking without filtering it. I do that myself, so I can relate. And I have a lot of friends on the autism spectrum, so I'm quite used to people speaking their minds with no ulterior motive. I'm quite happy for people to point out whatever occurs to them! Besides, I'm not particularly vain about how I look - I tend to observe my appearance in quite an objective way.

I just don't like 'compliments' that are deliberately back-handed - with a deliberate attempt to insult in a subtle passive-aggressive way while appearing innocent. To me, it's all about intention. Although, to be honest, I tend to take things at face value anyway, so a lot of the time I don't even realise when someone's trying to insult me - which can be frustrating for them, if they wanted to upset me and I'm not upset!

What i love to hear is that I'm looking healthy, that I'm looking well, that I'm looking happy. Because I want to be healthy, well and happy, and I want it to show. I don't care so much about my weight - people can tell me that I've lost weight or that I've gained weight, and that doesn't mean much to me - I already know if I've lost or gained weight, because I weigh myself.

I agree with this. Any compliments welcome - it takes some work to be insulted by "Wow, you look great/ well/better!"
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!