"i love you..." empty or adequate expression?

Options
I often feel that these words are so overused that they fail to express how utterly in love I am with my sweetheart (fpacudan).

Do you ever feel that "i love you" is kind of "empty" (for a lack of a better word)? I thought about thinking up some other phrase to explain how deep my feelings run but unfortunately I am a failure in the creativity department. lol

Replies

• pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Actions speak louder than words.
  • jcmartin0313
    jcmartin0313 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    IDK but I love both of you lol!!
  • SofaKingRad
    SofaKingRad Posts: 1,592 Member
    Options
    Depends on the person. If I say it, I mean it and it's not empty. And as long as the person I'm saying it to knows I mean it, that's all I care about.
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    I believe that "I love you" carries as much feeling to it as the person who says it puts in to it.

So yes, it can be an empty expression, but it can also the most meaningful one.
  • Mich3ll36
    Options
    meh... dont believe in love anymore. lol
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    Depends on the person. If I say it, I mean it and it's not empty. And as long as the person I'm saying it to knows I mean it, that's all I care about.

true--and i mean it when i say it. But i want it to have more of an impact. I guess I'm one for theatrics and the whole shebang. haha. Just kidding. But in all seriousness, I say it because I mean it but THE WORLD overuses it so much so that I think in general it has lost it's effect in a way.
  • aften_g
    aften_g Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Whenever my husband and I get really snuggly and lovey, he always says, "Gah, why can't we just be one person?" He also tells me he is obsessed with me half the time, but we also tell each other we love each other a lot.
  • Erisad
    Erisad Posts: 1,580
    Options
    I find other ways to say it. Or do my best to make sure that he knows that I love him. Whether it's from a random gift, watching his favorite movie with him or just being there when he needs me. :)
  • Punchabear
    Options
    I believe that "I love you" carries as much feeling to it as the person who says it puts in to it.

So yes, it can be an empty expression, but it can also the most meaningful one.

^This.

That's why I try to save the phrase for when I really do mean it, least it become overused and lose meaning.
  • megmay2591
    megmay2591 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    It depends on the way you say it and how much feeling you put into it. I feel like even a significant glance, touch, or kiss can be just as meaningful to your significant other. I can see it and feel it when my boyfriend looks at me.
  • JilianneNicole
    JilianneNicole Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Whenever my husband and I get really snuggly and lovey, he always says, "Gah, why can't we just be one person?" He also tells me he is obsessed with me half the time, but we also tell each other we love each other a lot.

This is the cutest thing ever!!!!!
  • melbot24
    melbot24 Posts: 347 Member
    Options

This.

I know people who hand out "I love you" all willy nilly and nolens volens...coming from them, it doesn't carry very much weight.
    Heh, weight.
  • lindsy721
    lindsy721 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I agree that action speaks louder than words. Places like MFP, where everything is web? I typically just use the "luv" form, which for me just indicates a friendly affection.

Anybody read that book, "The Five Love Languages"? I've found it's actually a good way to communicate love to someone, figuring out how they best *understand* love and operating that way.
    Options

I say it A TON but it's only because I feel that it's all I have. I show him too but when he's away and it's all I can do to "show him" then I use those words and mean them with every fiber of my being but I wish I could SAY MORE...that it would get the depth of my feelings across. does that make sense. I love you doesn't capture just how much. The magnitude is left out.
  • SofaKingRad
    SofaKingRad Posts: 1,592 Member
    Options

true--and i mean it when i say it. But i want it to have more of an impact. I guess I'm one for theatrics and the whole shebang. haha. Just kidding. But in all seriousness, I say it because I mean it but THE WORLD overuses it so much so that I think in general it has lost it's effect in a way.

Eh, screw the world. If you mean it and your partner knows it, who cares? If you want theatrics you can scream it while having rough monkey sex, but in reality you are just expressing a way to say how you feel to someone.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    Depends how you use it. If, at the end of a phone call, you say it just out of habit, it can be stripped of meaning. But if uttered in sincerity, it is infused with power and light.

Use it sparingly,in word form, and show it lavishly, in actions.
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    I think my husband and I are over the cutesy stage of things.

I always used to love when he'd say 'I love you...SO HARD' sweet voice to creeeeepy voice.

XD
  • jagar07
    jagar07 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    My husband and I run into this too. We know we mean it when we say I love you, but I don't know how to send the message of HOW MUCH i love him. So we get into this whole gross "Ilove you more" mantra, and really, it is rather sickening :flowerforyou:
    Options
    My husband and I run into this too. We know we mean it when we say I love you, but I don't know how to send the message of HOW MUCH i love him. So we get into this whole gross "Ilove you more" mantra, and really, it is rather sickening :flowerforyou:

exactly--you get it! :)
  • SweetDorothySweat
    SweetDorothySweat Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    You could try saying "I am so in love with you" or "I just love you more and more every day!" or "I love you all the way to the moon and back" Just some suggestions. ;)