"i love you..." empty or adequate expression?

Options

Replies

• MissyBenj
    MissyBenj Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    adini749 is absolutely right -- it's all about action.

My guy doesn't say the words "I love you," because he never has to. He "says" it every single moment by being there when I need him, giving me space when I need to do something on my own. He says it by paying attention and remembering what he's asked me. He doesn't buy gifts for the sake of spending money or giving me gifts. For example, I really don't like flowers or candy and I'm not all that big on jewelry. He learned that early on and doesn't buy me that stuff. He gets that a gift isn't about the $$ spent, it's about making the other person happy, so he listens to what I talk about and when I express preferences, or wishes or hopes or dreams - he pays attention! He's secure enough to ask for and accept help from me if he needs it. He's willing to support me, and secure enough to not be offended if I don't need it. We've had one fight in all these years and that was early on, because hadn't yet figured out how to communicate very well. Now we do. We let the little bull**** things in life go. I've never once worried about toilet seat position or clothes that don't quite make it into the hamper. He doesn't freak out if my bras are hanging up to dry somewhere he has to dodge them or move them.

You want to show you care? Pay attention. If there's something you do that you KNOW gets on his nerves, think about it and don't do it! If there's something he likes to do that you don't understand - LEARN. ASK. If there's something he HATES to do and you can do it for him, do it! When you get annoyed by something he's done, stop and think - does this REALLY matter in the long run? On a scale of 1 to 10, how important is it? Learn to let the little stuff go.

Me and my guy LIVE "I love you" eery minute of every day. And while I hope nothing ever happens to end it, if anything bad does ever happen, I can honestly say that I don't regret one minute of the last 15 years we've been together. I'm proud of who both of us are as people, both as individuals and as a couple. If that ain't love - don't know what is. :-)

Whew, nailed it! You put that into words very well.
  • HiKaren
    HiKaren Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    Heres a few ideas I just looked up for you..... Maybe you could pick a different one everyday... Until you said them all...

Have fun... Hopefully this response wont take up an entire page.....

English - I love you
    Afrikaans - Ek het jou lief
    Albanian - Te dua
    Arabic - Ana behibak (to male)
    Arabic - Ana behibek (to female)
    Armenian - Yes kez sirumem
    Bambara - M'bi fe
    Bengali - Ami tomake bhalobashi (pronounced: Amee toe-ma-kee bhalo-bashee)
    Belarusian - Ya tabe kahayu
    Bisaya - Nahigugma ako kanimo
    Bulgarian - Obicham te
    Cambodian - Soro lahn nhee ah
    Catalan - T'estimo
    Cherokee - Tsi ge yu i
    Cheyenne - Ne mohotatse
    Chichewa - Ndimakukonda
    Chinese
    Cantonese - Ngo oiy ney a
    Mandarin - Wo ai ni
    Comanche - U kamakutu nu
    (pronounced oo----ka-ma-koo-too
    nu) -- Thx Tony
    Corsican - Ti tengu caru (to male)
    Cree - Kisakihitin
    Creol - Mi aime jou
    Croatian - Volim te
    Czech - Miluji te
    Danish - Jeg Elsker Dig
    Dutch - Ik hou van jou
    Elvish - Amin mela lle (from The Lord of The Rings, by J.R.R. Tolkien)
    Esperanto - Mi amas vin
    Estonian - Ma armastan sind
    Ethiopian - Afgreki'
    Faroese - Eg elski teg
    Farsi - Doset daram
    Filipino - Mahal kita
    Finnish - Mina rakastan sinua
    French - Je t'aime, Je t'adore
    Frisian - Ik hald fan dy
    Gaelic - Ta gra agam ort
    Georgian - Mikvarhar
    German - Ich liebe dich
    Greek - S'agapo
    Gujarati - Hoo thunay prem karoo choo
    Hiligaynon - Palangga ko ikaw
    Hawaiian - Aloha Au Ia`oe
    Hebrew
    To female - "ani ohev otach" (said by male) "ohevet Otach" (said by female)
    To male - "ani ohev otcha" (said by male) "Ohevet ot'cha" (said by female)
    Hiligaynon - Guina higugma ko ikaw
    Hindi - Hum Tumhe Pyar Karte hae
    Hmong - Kuv hlub koj
    Hopi - Nu' umi unangwa'ta
    Hungarian - Szeretlek
    Icelandic - Eg elska tig
    Ilonggo - Palangga ko ikaw
    Indonesian - Saya cinta padamu
    Inuit - Negligevapse
    Irish - Taim i' ngra leat
    Italian - Ti amo
    Japanese - Ai****eru or Anata ga daisuki desu
    Kannada - Naanu ninna preetisuttene
    Kapampangan - Kaluguran daka
    Kiswahili - Nakupenda
    Konkani - Tu magel moga cho
    Korean - Sarang Heyo or Nanun tangshinul sarang hamnida
    Latin - Te amo
    Latvian - Es tevi miilu
    Lebanese - Bahibak
    Lithuanian - Tave myliu
    Luxembourgeois - Ech hun dech gaer
    Macedonian - Te Sakam
    Malay - Saya cintakan mu / Aku cinta padamu
    Malayalam - Njan Ninne Premikunnu
    Maltese - Inhobbok
    Marathi - Me tula prem karto
    Mohawk - Kanbhik
    Moroccan - Ana moajaba bik
    Nahuatl - Ni mits neki
    Navaho - Ayor anosh'ni
    Ndebele - Niyakutanda
    Norwegian
    Bokmaal - Jeg elsker deg
    Nyonrsk - Eg elskar deg
    Pandacan - Syota na kita!!
    Pangasinan - Inaru Taka
    Papiamento - Mi ta stimabo
    Persian - Doo-set daaram
    Pig Latin - Iay ovlay ouyay
    Polish - Kocham Ciebie
    Portuguese - Eu te amo
    Romanian - Te iubesc
    Russian - Ya tebya liubliu
    Scot Gaelic - Tha gra\dh agam ort
    Serbian - Volim te
    Setswana - Ke a go rata
    Sign Language - ,\,,/ (represents position of fingers when signing 'I Love You')
    Sindhi - Maa tokhe pyar kendo ahyan
    Sioux - Techihhila
    Slovak - Lu`bim ta
    Slovenian - Ljubim te
    Spanish - Te quiero / Te amo
    Swahili - Ninapenda wewe
    Swedish - Jag alskar dig
    Swiss-German - Ich lieb Di
    Surinam - Mi lobi joe
    Tagalog - Mahal kita
    Taiwanese - Wa ga ei li
    Tahitian - Ua Here Vau Ia Oe
    Tamil - Nan unnai kathalikaraen
    Telugu - Nenu ninnu premistunnanu
    Thai
    To female - Phom rak khun
    To male - Chan rak khun
    Informal - Rak te
    Tunisian - Ha eh bak
    Turkish - Seni Seviyorum
    Ukrainian - Ya tebe kahayu
    Urdu - mai aap say pyaar karta hoo
    Vietnamese
    To female - Anh ye^u em
    To male - Em ye^u anh
    Welsh - 'Rwy'n dy garu di
    Yiddish - Ikh hob dikh
    Yoruba - Mo ni fe
    Zazi - Ezhele hezdege
    Zulu - Mena tanda wena or Ngiyakuthanda Thanks Marty!
    Zuni - Tom ho' ichema
  • LovingLisa2012
    LovingLisa2012 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    I love you little
    I love you big
    I love you like a little pig ..

ok maybe not good for a weightloss/fitness site
    but this was taught to hubby as a child and some times we say it to each other (each saying a line, then hubby oinks at the end) its a cute lil thing we do
  • Dudagarcia
    Dudagarcia Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    Depends on the person. If I say it, I mean it and it's not empty. And as long as the person I'm saying it to knows I mean it, that's all I care about.

Sweet!!
  • Dudagarcia
    Dudagarcia Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    I love you little
    I love you big
    I love you like a little pig ..

ok maybe not good for a weightloss/fitness site
    but this was taught to hubby as a child and some times we say it to each other (each saying a line, then hubby oinks at the end) its a cute lil thing we do

Love it!!
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    Actions do speak louder than words. That's why always choose a new fun disguise... I mean costume and follow her around.

Also I find that she really knows I mean it when I leave notes on her care that read, "I'm watching you."

True love is when she looks at you and demands you put it in her pooper.

I attest to this! But, true love or not, sometimes she just wants it in her pooper.

She always wants it in the pooper... she just doesn't know she wants it in the pooper.
  • Krizzo87
    Krizzo87 Posts: 14,186 Member
    Options
    Depends on the person. If I say it, I mean it and it's not empty. And as long as the person I'm saying it to knows I mean it, that's all I care about.

^this
  • juliecat1
    juliecat1 Posts: 3,455 Member
    Options
    Actions speak louder than words.

That.
  • CaseyP1207
    CaseyP1207 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    True dat!
  • MustBeTheRows
    MustBeTheRows Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I say it to her all the time and I mean it. I don't think words can adequately and truly express the actual emotion that I feel for her. I hope that my actions reflect the way that I feel, and I hope that I can continue to show her, because I just can't see my life being any other way.
  • CaseyP1207
    CaseyP1207 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Actions do speak louder than words. That's why always choose a new fun disguise... I mean costume and follow her around.

Also I find that she really knows I mean it when I leave notes on her care that read, "I'm watching you."

I attest to this! But, true love or not, sometimes she just wants it in her pooper.
    You had me at pooper
  • karylee44
    karylee44 Posts: 892
    Options
    i have given up on Love..
    i am in a loveless marrage.
    I feel like i will never find anyone that will truly love me for me.. and not use me as a toy.

:(
    sorry.. cranky, in pain and on meds.. makes me a bit of a downer..
  • beach_please
    beach_please Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I think it depends a lot on when it's said. If you say it at the end of every phone call, it seems more like a requirement or a simple habit. If you say it unexpectedly, just in the moment and without the expectation of hearing it in return, I think it seems more authentic and maybe carries more meaning.... to me anyway.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    I think its adequate. I normally do something cute like give my boyfriends tons of kisses while saying "I love you" about a million times. Or we basically scream out I love you while holding each others face followed by a huge kiss. You can play around with it and do cutesy actions while saying I love you. :)

It's more problematic when all I have is the phone--we're 3000 miles apart right now :( stupid law school!

Are you able to send him things to let him know you're thinking of him? How often do you see each other? I think you're feeling the emptiness of the word simply because you're missing him (I'm sorry if I'm wrong) - The words, when meant, are so extremely powerful. Just remind yourself that you mean them, with every last 'fiber of you', and thats all that matters. I 100% agree that the actions behind the words speak volumes, but if you aren't able to show him how much right this second, save it for when you can be together again and make sure to remind him, with your words, how much you love him while he's away.

kind of--i do still mean them but i miss him so much that i say it so much and i don't it to EVER lose it's meaning. ya know?
  • Lambeze
    Lambeze Posts: 237
    Options
    Ok some guys may not be wired to think like I do. If I were truly in love with someone a simple "I love you" would never do.

You have to bring in the most important thing and that is eye contact. Then it is a great idea to bring in some touch. Even if its just a light touch on her cheek before you make contact or rub your hand in her hair, unless its fixed up.

So guys don't be afraid to get close brush her hair to the side if needed or lightly touch her cheek. Look into her eyes and tell her you love her and seal it with a not so long but no to short of a kiss. Then when you release look back into her eyes before you move on so its not a hit a run. It shows that you really do love her and you are just not speaking the words.
  • MissyBenj
    MissyBenj Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    i have given up on Love..
    i am in a loveless marrage.
    I feel like i will never find anyone that will truly love me for me.. and not use me as a toy.

:(
    sorry.. cranky, in pain and on meds.. makes me a bit of a downer..

Remove yourself from the loveless marriage, find your happiness, and re-learn how to love yourself before you begin thinking about loving another.
  • _Wits_
    _Wits_ Posts: 1,286 Member
    Options
    I agree to a certain point. I say it to my friends and some family because I truly love them.

Couples and such...relationships...it can be abused...and it sucks.
  • sandrinamsilva
    sandrinamsilva Posts: 651 Member
    Options

This, You can tell me 1000 times you love me BUT if what you do contradicts it then it's empty.
  • MNchick
    MNchick Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Ok some guys may not be wired to think like I do. If I were truly in love with someone a simple "I love you" would never do.

You have to bring in the most important thing and that is eye contact. Then it is a great idea to bring in some touch. Even if its just a light touch on her cheek before you make contact or rub your hand in her hair, unless its fixed up.

So guys don't be afraid to get close brush her hair to the side if needed or lightly touch her cheek. Look into her eyes and tell her you love her and seal it with a not so long but no to short of a kiss. Then when you release look back into her eyes before you move on so its not a hit a run. It shows that you really do love her and you are just not speaking the words.

THIS!
  • Typhanee83
    Typhanee83 Posts: 313 Member
    Options

She always wants it in the pooper... she just doesn't know she wants it in the pooper.

Not true. I always know I want it in the pooper.