How I Did NOT Lose 98 pounds

Options
JeanneTops
JeanneTops Posts: 2,602 Member
Yes, I've lost 98 pounds. I started on my birthday in December 2009. A year ago, I'd lost 88 pounds and reached a healthy BMI. Since then I have lost an additional 10 pounds. This past week I observed my one year anniversary of being at a healthy BMI.

Last year I wrote a long post about how I did it which you can read here:
http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/314505-success-before-sixty

From Day One, my goal has been to not gain the weight back. I've yo-yo'd all my life and I just didn't want to go through all this effort to gain all the weight back yet again.

So, I didn't do a lot of things that you commonly see here on MFP. I think of these as the mistakes I made in the past.

1. Lose weight quickly.

The stress of restricting eating, exercising like crazy and worrying about my weight would be too much to bear long-term. Something always happened and I'd ease off, gain weight and give up.

2. Set short term weight goals.

Inevitably I'd miss them and then feel like I was failing. Probably it was just my natural weight fluctuation. But regularly feeling like I was failing left me, at the end, not feeling like the success I was. Without feeling like a success, I had no self-confidence about dealing with the natural difficulties of life and I would start over-eating again.

3. Focus on how much weight I'd lost.

All that did was keep reinforcing my self-image as a fat person. I was a fat person who'd lost weight. This time, I focused on how much I weighed and how good I looked. I threw away my larger clothing and bought new stuff all along the way and really worked at feeling happy with how I looked and felt. I refuse to answer questions about how much I've lost - I just say "a lot."

4. Dream about how happy I'd be when I reached my goal weight.

It's weird but you have to learn how to be happy. Just being at your goal weight doesn't automatically make you feel happy - at least not for long. The compliments stop, the thrill of losing weight stops, the ordinary trials and tribulations of life continue and sooner or later something goes wrong in your life. If you haven't learned how to be happy through all those, then you won't be. This time, I focused on being happy at whatever weight I was because I focused on enjoying my food, enjoying my exercise and enjoying how I looked and felt each and every day. Now I have the habit of being happy and I know how to get through the lows of life.

To sum it all up, my motto is: Work on Today, Let Tomorrow Worry About Itself.

Everybody loves Before-and-After pictures so I'm going to post mine. You can see my previous weight losses on this blog post: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/JeanneTops/view/official-135794

All I'm going to say is that the way I look now (on the right) is EXACTLY how I wanted to look when the picture on the left was taken. (Note the same style and color scheme!)

Best of wishes to all of you.

6yrcomp.jpg

Replies

• prov31jd
    prov31jd Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Great post! Thank you for sharing your story, and big congratulations to you on getting healthy, and STAYING healthy!
  • minuet42
    minuet42 Posts: 33
    Options
    Congratulations! This was exactly what I needed to see this morning, so thank you!
  • Christi6604
    Christi6604 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Great posting. I totally agree with all your points, and it's very refreshing to see.

Congratulations. :smile:
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • vacherin
    vacherin Posts: 192
    Options
    You look fantastic. And what a well-written post. WELL DONE!
  • jess7386
    jess7386 Posts: 477 Member
    Options

4. Dream about how happy I'd be when I reached my goal weight.

It's weird but you have to learn how to be happy. Just being at your goal weight doesn't automatically make you feel happy - at least not for long. The compliments stop, the thrill of losing weight stops, the ordinary trials and tribulations of life continue and sooner or later something goes wrong in your life. If you haven't learned how to be happy through all those, then you won't be. This time, I focused on being happy at whatever weight I was because I focused on enjoying my food, enjoying my exercise and enjoying how I looked and felt each and every day. Now I have the habit of being happy and I know how to get through the lows of life.

To sum it all up, my motto is: Work on Today, Let Tomorrow Worry About Itself.

As someone who frequently eats when I'm stressed or things don't go my way, this is very helpful for me. I will try to remember your words next time life catches up with me.

Great job!!!! I know you'll keep it up!
  • rhymeswithfox
    rhymeswithfox Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    You look beautiful! Thanks for the great advice, you are so right :)
  • Casey2844
    Options
    Love this post!

And, you look AMAZING!! :-)
  • NCchar130
    NCchar130 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for posting this. I really needed to read this today. I'm a yo-yo dieter too.

Congratulations on your weight loss, you look wonderful!
  • pudgyfriend
    pudgyfriend Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    What a great example! You are an inspiration!
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    First you look amazing. Secondly, that is some solid advice there, I tend to dream of that smaller weight but mine is normally for the extra stuff I will be able to do while being a lighter person.
  • girish_ph
    girish_ph Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Wov - you look gooood!

Yet that advice that you gave us - its solid - real solid. Thanks dear
  • 00Melyanna00
    00Melyanna00 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    This was a great post!
    Thank you so much for sharing and congratulations on your success :)
  • Anna800
    Anna800 Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    Congratulations you did a fantastic job! Love the new hair color as well!
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your success! A common sense approach pays off :drinker: :bigsmile:
  • obrendao
    obrendao Posts: 318
    Options
    Beautiful and amazing. I am taking your advice to heart. Thanks for sharing this, you just made my morning! :)
  • Fani2003
    Fani2003 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I love all of your points but one really hit me:

3. Focus on how much weight I'd lost.

All that did was keep reinforcing my self-image as a fat person. I was a fat person who'd lost weight. This time, I focused on how much I weighed and how good I looked. I threw away my larger clothing and bought new stuff all along the way and really worked at feeling happy with how I looked and felt. I refuse to answer questions about how much I've lost - I just say "a lot."

I am struggling with this now. The person I was but never felt like, the person in the mirror right now, and the person I want to be. This is good guidance.
  • VanessaGS
    VanessaGS Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I agree. I'm taking it Day by Day also.
  • shannon0876
    Options
    You looked beautiful before and amazing after!!!! Congrats, and thanks for the inspiration!
  • ksarkarati
    ksarkarati Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love this post! Thank you so much for your wisdom!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!