How would you fix a deficit of 1500 cal?

Options
Hi guys and gals(I'm still kinda new, and have to get used to the site),

So I already had my breakfast, which was 500 calories.
About 2 and a half hours later, I went for a run, which burned up 498 calories(I am very precise with my speed and time).

So, having read that I should eat as much calories back as I have burned up, I have come out to still needing 1500 calories to fill out throughout the day.

I don't wish to overdo my nutritient facts(I am almost not allowed to eat any sugary stuff for today), so my question to you is: what would you do, to fix this?

Replies

• GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    what is the reason for not eating "sugary stuff" today?

Side note -
    for whatever reason, this statement sticks out to me: "which burned up 498 calories(I am very precise with my speed and time)" I'm not saying to round your numbers... but understand that no matter how "precise" you are, how many calories you burn and eat are a rough estimate at best unless you are in a clinical setting 24x7. In other words, don't be one of those people that has 15 calories left over, so they eat 2 grams of peanut butter!
  • jen350z
    jen350z Posts: 48
    Options
    I dont ever eat back the calories that I burned. I always stay between 1100-1300 with my goal being 1390. Everything I burned I just see as extra towards my weight loss not towards my food.
  • LilacDreamer
    LilacDreamer Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    I dont ever eat back the calories that I burned. I always stay between 1100-1300 with my goal being 1390. Everything I burned I just see as extra towards my weight loss not towards my food.

^ Please ignore all that crap. If you don't eat back calories your deficit will be much too large. MFP's numbers already put you at a deficit, and not eating them back is just foolish. I recommend eating back at least 1/2 - 2/3 of what you burned...with the idea being the more you burn the more you should eat back.
  • mama2mila
    Options
    I don't always eat my exercise calories either... I stick between 1400 and 1500, knowing everything is an "estimate." I've lost 35 pounds this way. I also have my settings as a slightly active person, even though I have a desk job. Once I'm off work, I barely sit down!
  • alexbusnello
    alexbusnello Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options

^ Please ignore all that crap. If you don't eat back calories your deficit will be much too large. MFP's numbers already put you at a deficit, and not eating them back is just foolish. I recommend eating back at least 1/2 - 2/3 of what you burned...with the idea being the more you burn the more you should eat back.

This!
  • katheern
    katheern Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I don't always eat back my exercise calories but if I do I try not to go more than 1/2 of what my HRM tell me I've burned because I know how inaccurate it can be. MFP tells me I have burned 700 calories when my HRM tells me it's only 450 sometimes. Even then my HRM is still not 100% accurate. I've lost about 80lbs this way and never felt starved or hungry or weak.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Is this a common occurrence for you? Because I probably wouldn't really worry about it if it's only one day. You have 1500 calories to eat lunch and dinner. Don't gorge yourself just because of the calories you burned, but think of it as an opportunity to eat something you maybe normally wouldn't because it's too high in calories. Add avocado to your lunch. Eat pasta for dinner. If you're still running a deficit, don't worry about it.

It's when a large deficit becomes a habit that it becomes a problem. One day isn't going to disturb your goals.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Go to Chili's and eat half of anything there. Ahahaha.
  • Lina4Lina
    Lina4Lina Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I don't eat back calories either.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Yes you need to eat those exercise calories back in order to net 1500 calories a day. MFP has already calculated your deficit with that 1500 allotment. So any exercise is bonus calories woo hoo!!!
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    so many mixed opinions on this! but if you do go for eating back (some or all of) those calories, and you aren't sure how because you aren't that hungry and it seems like a lot, try things like nuts or avocado. Calories dense, good fats, and yummmmyyyyy.
  • flynnfinn
    flynnfinn Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Hi guys and gals(I'm still kinda new, and have to get used to the site),

So I already had my breakfast, which was 500 calories.
    About 2 and a half hours later, I went for a run, which burned up 498 calories(I am very precise with my speed and time).

So, having read that I should eat as much calories back as I have burned up, I have come out to still needing 1500 calories to fill out throughout the day.

I don't wish to overdo my nutritient facts(I am almost not allowed to eat any sugary stuff for today), so my question to you is: what would you do, to fix this?

in direct answer to your question, eat some nuts. those add up calories real fast.
  • Huskeryogi
    Huskeryogi Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Is this a common occurrence for you? Because I probably wouldn't really worry about it if it's only one day. You have 1500 calories to eat lunch and dinner. Don't gorge yourself just because of the calories you burned, but think of it as an opportunity to eat something you maybe normally wouldn't because it's too high in calories. Add avocado to your lunch. Eat pasta for dinner. If you're still running a deficit, don't worry about it.

It's when a large deficit becomes a habit that it becomes a problem. One day isn't going to disturb your goals.

Agree with this.
  • LilacDreamer
    LilacDreamer Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    I don't always eat my exercise calories either... I stick between 1400 and 1500, knowing everything is an "estimate." I've lost 35 pounds this way. I also have my settings as a slightly active person, even though I have a desk job. Once I'm off work, I barely sit down!

It's not an estimate if you have an HRM with a chest strap. One that measures VO2Max is even better, but not everyone can afford that.
  • chrisyoung0422
    chrisyoung0422 Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Drink 2 cans of Four Loko = issue solved. :drinker:
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options

^^^ Listen to the lobster.
  • nikka488
    nikka488 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Not all of us are on here to lose weight. I'm in the same boat. My daily goal is 2530 cal NET a day. I eat a ton, but eating clean is MUCH harder to fill all of those calorie requirements. Some days I have to eat 3500 calories to get to where I want to be. Often I find I have to eat something like 1800 calories for dinner. Any suggestions that people have for CLEAN calories would be greatly appreciated. I'm already eating:
    Almonds
    Quinoa
    Pinto Beans
    Chicken
    Salmon
    Greek Yogurt
    Organic Granola
    Shrimp
    Kale
    Spinach
    Asparagus
    Onions
    Garlic
    Egg Whites

Thank you in advance
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    Drink 2 cans of Four Loko = issue solved. :drinker:

It appears you may have done this in your profile pic!

That stuff is KILLER. AUGH. My tummy did flips just thinking about it.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    That's completely up to you of course, and there are a lot of people on here that do the same. However, it's not the way that Myfitnesspal is designed to work, so it's probably not the best advice for someone who is new to the site. The calories burned through exercise aren't supposed to be "extra" for extra weight loss. MFP gives you a lower calorie goal than you would get from elsewhere to start with on the assumption that you will log exercise and eat back those calories. Not eating them back means you're increasing your calorie deficit to one that is larger than is recommended by this site. Like I say, that's your choice.

Anyway, OP - I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "I don't wish to overdo my nutritient facts", but assuming you don't have any medical issues, don't be afraid to consume more protein and healthy fats to reach your goal. If you're not very hungry, you can stick to calorie-dense but nutritious foods like avocados, nuts, seeds, nut butters etc. If you don't have issues with dairy, then milk and cheese can help too.
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    Raid the pantry?