How would you fix a deficit of 1500 cal?

Options

Replies

• cherbapp
    cherbapp Posts: 322
    Options
    I rarely feel like eating back my exercise calories, but the next day I may go over on calories...so it kinda evens out for me. Calories don't care what day they go into your body...I go more off my weekly total than the daily total.
  • JuroNemo14
    JuroNemo14 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    While I am extremely thankfull to all of you guys here for sharing their insights, I was actually wondering How to fix the deficit. More like, any tips, or hints, or general good snacks not containing sugar(I usually eat fruits, which take away my sugar after a while, and I have this need to still stay under the sugar values).

Anyways, I love how you guys share your opinion here ;)
  • apriltrainer
    apriltrainer Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I NEVER eat back my exercise cals. Or at least I try not to.

http://aprilfitness.shutterfly.com/pictures/8

And my goodness...just look at my picture and my vid.. It obviously isn't working for me. ;)

Good for you. You also fast 16-18 hours a day, have admittedly had issues maintaining your weight, and had very little weight to lose to begin with. Because it works for you doesn't mean everyone needs to follow your example.

PS: If you want to gain strength, like your profile states, you may decide to change your tack at some point.

Oh please. I AM STRONG..

I have had lots of weight to lose in the past. I've been up to 160. How many pullups can you do?

I am not a skinny chic.

I am actually pretty frakkin defined.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Oh please. I AM STRONG..

I have had lots of weight to lose in the past. I've been up to 160. How many pullups can you do?

I am not a skinny chic.

I am actually pretty frakkin defined.

Interesting how you immediately defend your body. I'm not insulting you or calling you weak in any way. But it seems you came here to post pictures of yourself. I'm glad you're having success with the way you eat, but the OP is asking for advice on how to boost her calorie intake, so if you don't have anything more helpful than "look at MEEE" then maybe you could go somewhere else
  • apriltrainer
    Options
    maybe not EVERYONE runs tris!

The thing is I had a weight problem because I was eating for "recovery" following the advice of marathoners,triathleste, elite athletes when I was just a normal person doing workouts that weren't that level.

I could see having to eat back cals if you are training for something like that..but for overall fitness, I think it doesn't work.

THat's why I was on the weight loss rollercoaster.

Eating back cals for running a 5k?

Hell no.
  • secretlobster
    Options
    maybe not EVERYONE runs tris!

The thing is I had a weight problem because I was eating for "recovery" following the advice of marathoners,triathleste, elite athletes when I was just a normal person doing workouts that weren't that level.

I could see having to eat back cals if you are training for something like that..but for overall fitness, I think it doesn't work.

THat's why I was on the weight loss rollercoaster.

Eating back cals for running a 5k?

Hell no.

Again. This isn't the advice he asked for.
    Edit: Let's all just get along and accept that other people have different ways of achieving their goals.
  • apriltrainer
    Options
    is the op eating back cals becuase she is getting too thin? Is she trying to lose weight? If so, I don't suggest eating back cals unless she is trianing like you are.
  • secretlobster
    Options
    I'm actually not giving *him* advice based on my training. My advice was that one day isn't going to make or break his fitness goals. I'm done arguing with you. You have a lovely body but I'm sure that as a man he probably doesn't want to look like you...
  • JuroNemo14
    JuroNemo14 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    To clarify:

I(am a guy btw ;)) am trying to lose weight. And I am set on eating back most of those cals(I want to do this as "right as possible").
    Besides that, I am training my muscles a little bit(after losing weight, I am planning on tackling my muscles), and I am also training my fitness-level/stamina.

I know that my plan isn't fully-fledged good, but I think it's pretty okay. Still, thanks for the input.
  • apriltrainer
    Options
    I don't think guys should be eating back their cals either.

Big muscles and big belly.

NOt attractive.
  • littlehedgy
    littlehedgy Posts: 192 Member
    Options

^ Please ignore all that crap. If you don't eat back calories your deficit will be much too large. MFP's numbers already put you at a deficit, and not eating them back is just foolish. I recommend eating back at least 1/2 - 2/3 of what you burned...with the idea being the more you burn the more you should eat back.

not necessarily true. My BMR is about 1400 Calories. My recommended cal intake is 1200, which is ony a 200 calorie deficit. Having a 500 daily calorie deficit is recommended to lose 1 pound per week. Therefore is I eat 1200 calories and burn 300 during the day I have created the 500 calorie difference and can expect a weight loss of about 1 pound per week. Or am I completely off base? The math makes sense to me...
  • Captain_Spatchcock
    Options

NOt attractive.

QFS
  • onikonor
    onikonor Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I dont ever eat back the calories that I burned. I always stay between 1100-1300 with my goal being 1390. Everything I burned I just see as extra towards my weight loss not towards my food.

^ Please ignore all that crap. If you don't eat back calories your deficit will be much too large. MFP's numbers already put you at a deficit, and not eating them back is just foolish. I recommend eating back at least 1/2 - 2/3 of what you burned...with the idea being the more you burn the more you should eat back.

I NEVER eat back my exercise cals. Or at least I try not to.

http://aprilfitness.shutterfly.com/pictures/8

And my goodness...just look at my picture and my vid.. It obviously isn't working for me. ;)

I don't understand what this has to do with the OP's question. If it works for you doesn't mean it will work for him.

OP, you most infidelity should eat if you feel hungry, but don't force yourself either if you are not. Some good foods are avocados, nuts/seeds, meats, etc.
  • gjriddle
    gjriddle Posts: 46 Member
    Options

not necessarily true. My BMR is about 1400 Calories. My recommended cal intake is 1200, which is ony a 200 calorie deficit. Having a 500 daily calorie deficit is recommended to lose 1 pound per week. Therefore is I eat 1200 calories and burn 300 during the day I have created the 500 calorie difference and can expect a weight loss of about 1 pound per week. Or am I completely off base? The math makes sense to me...

I'm just going to jump in really quickly and share my two cents. :smile:

The caloric deficit you're referring to isn't actually supposed to be calculated from your BMR. BMR is what your body needs just to operate, as in breathe, digest, think, etc. We should all be eating our BMR at the absolute, very minimum. Eating below BMR consistently actually will put your body into a sort of starvation mode, which can pose some pretty scary health risks and messes with your metabolism. It can actually cause you to gain weight, as your body is afraid it is dying. (I'm not kidding, I'm living proof. My BMR is 1452, and I ate around 1200 calories per day for quite some time, was sick all the time, hair falling out, etc.. and then I started to GAIN WEIGHT on only 1200/day while exercising.. scary stuff.)

When people refer to a caloric deficit they mean from your TDEE (today daily energy expenditure). Here's how it works:

To maintain your current weight, eat at TDEE
    To gain weight, eat above TDEE
    To lose weight, eat below TDEE

Recommended caloric deficits are around 10-15% depending on the person. You can calculate your estimated TDEE and BMR here: http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/ This calculator will also allow you to see what your cut amount is at the varying percentages. You can play around with the numbers, but you'll see that it's always recommended to eat above your BMR, sometimes significantly.

Please, please always eat AT LEAST your BMR. I don't want to sound preachy or anything, I just know what it was like for me personally to struggle to maintain a low calorie diet and the awful effects it had on my body and I don't wish that on anyone.
  • littlehedgy
    littlehedgy Posts: 192 Member
    Options

I'm just going to jump in really quickly and share my two cents. :smile:

The caloric deficit you're referring to isn't actually supposed to be calculated from your BMR. BMR is what your body needs just to operate, as in breathe, digest, think, etc. We should all be eating our BMR at the absolute, very minimum. Eating below BMR consistently actually will put your body into a sort of starvation mode, which can pose some pretty scary health risks and messes with your metabolism. It can actually cause you to gain weight, as your body is afraid it is dying. (I'm not kidding, I'm living proof. My BMR is 1452, and I ate around 1200 calories per day for quite some time, was sick all the time, hair falling out, etc.. and then I started to GAIN WEIGHT on only 1200/day while exercising.. scary stuff.)

When people refer to a caloric deficit they mean from your TDEE (today daily energy expenditure). Here's how it works:

To maintain your current weight, eat at TDEE
    To gain weight, eat above TDEE
    To lose weight, eat below TDEE

Recommended caloric deficits are around 10-15% depending on the person. You can calculate your estimated TDEE and BMR here: http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/ This calculator will also allow you to see what your cut amount is at the varying percentages. You can play around with the numbers, but you'll see that it's always recommended to eat above your BMR, sometimes significantly.

Please, please always eat AT LEAST your BMR. I don't want to sound preachy or anything, I just know what it was like for me personally to struggle to maintain a low calorie diet and the awful effects it had on my body and I don't wish that on anyone.

I believe you I really do, but it just doesn't make sense to me. :( it makes me mad when I don't understand things straight off haha. In my mind I see myself eating 1400 calories because that's what my body will burn all on its own, but I don't know how eating above that then burning off calories doesn't just add to what is already on my body.

also sorry op I am completely thread jacking. To fix your deficit I would go for calorie dense food to keep your energy up from your run. Dried fruit and such will give your the calorie boost but wont stuff you. Which is funny becuase I have to give myself the exact opposite advice haha
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options

Do you realize that MFP already includes a deficit into your daily allowance? Therefore by not eating back exercise calories you are DOUBLING your deficit?
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options

NOt attractive.

funny-pictures-cat-hates-your-opinion.jpg
  • BeckaT79
    BeckaT79 Posts: 216
    Options
    Is this a common occurrence for you? Because I probably wouldn't really worry about it if it's only one day. You have 1500 calories to eat lunch and dinner. Don't gorge yourself just because of the calories you burned, but think of it as an opportunity to eat something you maybe normally wouldn't because it's too high in calories. Add avocado to your lunch. Eat pasta for dinner. If you're still running a deficit, don't worry about it.

It's when a large deficit becomes a habit that it becomes a problem. One day isn't going to disturb your goals.

^^^This^^^
  • stephcthomas
    stephcthomas Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I rarely feel like eating back my exercise calories, but the next day I may go over on calories...so it kinda evens out for me. Calories don't care what day they go into your body...I go more off my weekly total than the daily total.

This is what I do, I've been eating about 200-300 over the recommended calories of 1200 each day, which keeps me not hungry. Then the days when I burn a lot of extra calories it all even's out over the week. I don't actually like the daily idea unless you are someone one trying to maintain. I prefer to use the extras throughout the week, to keep a balanced routine. If I get to eat a whole lot one day, the next day I'm going to want to do the same!
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    ^^^ dont do this!!!! you will throw your body into starvation mode... bad advice dont do it!
    Certainly not the case for me.
    When you factor in the large amount of manual work I've been doing recently, I reckon I've been around 2000 calorie deficit minimum, quite likely more.
    My strength has increased slightly, my weight has gone down drastically (50lb or so in 3 months). Not every body works identically.

As for general 'starvation mode' stuff, this may be of interest:
    http://fattyfightsback.blogspot.co.uk/2009/03/mtyhbusters-starvation-mode.html

My friend who introduced me to MFP said when he first used it he ate back his exercise calories; but found he didn't really lose much. This time he didn't and it worked as he hoped.

Of course certainly it's not for everyone and there are of course higher risks, so it's not something I'd recommend jumping in to.