How would you fix a deficit of 1500 cal?

Options

Replies

• Miss_dannii
    Miss_dannii Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    Save them for the weekend x
  • hotjacki85
    hotjacki85 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I dont ever eat back the calories that I burned. I always stay between 1100-1300 with my goal being 1390. Everything I burned I just see as extra towards my weight loss not towards my food.

^^^ dont do this!!!! you will throw your body into starvation mode... bad advice dont do it!
  • kjones3535
    kjones3535 Posts: 139
    Options
    Beer, Pizza, Hot wings with Ranch dressing...1500 calories gone!
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I dont ever eat back the calories that I burned. I always stay between 1100-1300 with my goal being 1390. Everything I burned I just see as extra towards my weight loss not towards my food.

How's that working out for you?
  • kmuree
    kmuree Posts: 283 Member
    Options

^^^ dont do this!!!! you will throw your body into starvation mode... bad advice dont do it!

This.
  • alexveksler
    alexveksler Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I don't always eat back my exercise calories but if I do I try not to go more than 1/2 of what my HRM tell me I've burned because I know how inaccurate it can be. MFP tells me I have burned 700 calories when my HRM tells me it's only 450 sometimes. Even then my HRM is still not 100% accurate. I've lost about 80lbs this way and never felt starved or hungry or weak.

so true. agree
  • RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Not all of us are on here to lose weight. I'm in the same boat. My daily goal is 2530 cal NET a day. I eat a ton, but eating clean is MUCH harder to fill all of those calorie requirements. Some days I have to eat 3500 calories to get to where I want to be. Often I find I have to eat something like 1800 calories for dinner. Any suggestions that people have for CLEAN calories would be greatly appreciated. I'm already eating:
    Almonds
    Quinoa
    Pinto Beans
    Chicken
    Salmon
    Greek Yogurt
    Organic Granola
    Shrimp
    Kale
    Spinach
    Asparagus
    Onions
    Garlic
    Egg Whites

Thank you in advance
    3 suggestions - Avocado, cook with olive oil (I marinate my asparagus in OO and S&P) and for god's sake, eat the whole egg, not just the whites :-)
  • lauraxo_
    Options
    I hardly eat the calories back either, however I do look at the calories I've burnt off as a safety blanket, they're there if I crave different food or if I want to have something sweet. It's worked so far!
  • SenshiV
    SenshiV Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Not all of us are on here to lose weight. I'm in the same boat. My daily goal is 2530 cal NET a day. I eat a ton, but eating clean is MUCH harder to fill all of those calorie requirements. Some days I have to eat 3500 calories to get to where I want to be. Often I find I have to eat something like 1800 calories for dinner. Any suggestions that people have for CLEAN calories would be greatly appreciated. I'm already eating:
    Almonds
    Quinoa
    Pinto Beans
    Chicken
    Salmon
    Greek Yogurt
    Organic Granola
    Shrimp
    Kale
    Spinach
    Asparagus
    Onions
    Garlic
    Egg Whites

Thank you in advance

Exactly, you can fill those calories with this foods, just will leave shrimp last because of cholesterol, but if you don;t eat it often, it's no big deal.

12 almonds have like 80 calories for example.
  • WendyEmery79
    WendyEmery79 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I'm always in a deficit... I try to snack and eat nuts, watermelon or blueberries. I eat how much I can but feel full.
    people keep saying that its going to slow down the weight loss , so what should I do?? stuff my face even though Im not hungry??
  • PayneAS
    PayneAS Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    MFP's numbers already put you at a deficit, and not eating them back is just foolish. I recommend eating back at least 1/2 - 2/3 of what you burned...with the idea being the more you burn the more you should eat back.

^ that.

http://www.shouldieatmyexercisecalories.com/
  • LuckySar
    LuckySar Posts: 12
    Options
    Talk to a nutritionist or doctor - no one on this site (or very few, anyway) is an actual expert. Everyone has *opinions*, but no one has your exact stats/health history/exercise plan.

MFP is a great jumping off point, but there are so many "facts" on this site that are really just opinions/what has worked for an individual.
  • ziggyc
    ziggyc Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    You don't have to eat all of those calories back. Just have a hearty and healthy snack after a run like that and eat enough at the rest of your meals so that you're giving your body what it needs for the day.
  • AdrienneKaren
    AdrienneKaren Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I agree that if this is not a normal occurance that you shouldn't worry. Try to eat a little extra, but if you don't eat all of it, you'll be fine. I had surgery last summer and I couldn't taste or smell for a few weeks afterward and so didn't eat much. I didn't die. I didn't go into starvation mode. I just tried to make sure I was getting enough nutrients and make sure that I netted at least 1200 calories/day.
  • rhonniema
    rhonniema Posts: 522
    Options
    lmao at all the conflicting advice.

If you're hungry, eat.
    If you're not hungry, don't eat.

If having such a large deficit is a common occurrence for you, you need speak to a nutritionist.
  • stephanieb72
    stephanieb72 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I too am a horrible MFPer because I don't eat my exercise calories back either. It is working great FOR ME but I have a lot of weight to lose. Each person is different. If you don't have lots of weight to lose, eat them back. I love how people are just out to criticize what works for other people.
  • imhungry2012
    imhungry2012 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Your body needs fuel, feed it! You should fill the rest of the day with nutritious foods with a good balance of carbs, fiber, protein and fat (not pizza and beer). If you have some leftover, I think that is OK for weightloss. It depends on what you are trying to do. Initially a higher deficit may work in your favor if you are trying to loose a larger amount of weight...but eventually your body starts eating your muscle for energy which you do not want to happen. If you have two more 500 calorie meals and a couple of snacks (cinnamon almonds are my favorite to fill the gap) you will likely be very close to your goal and not starving your body.
  • 1960HikerDude
    1960HikerDude Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Here we go again with the "eat back my exercise calories" debate. I've seen similar threads degenerate into flame wars.

That said, here's my $0.02 worth. You can take it or leave it.

As another poster already stated, MFP calories input and outputs are estimates. Much of the data in the MFP database is user contributed. I'm sure it has errors. At the end of the day, you're left with a educated guess of your total calorie intake and expenditure.

I work out with a heart rate monitor. I find MFP's calorie burn estimates are 40 to 50% higher than the estimate calculated by my HRM. I always log the HRM estimate.

I am an avid hiker. A long hike will easily burn 2,000+ calories (as measured by my HRM). There is no way I am going to eat back all of those calories on a single day. Therefore, I think of my exercise calories as a buffer. If I go over my calorie goal on a particular day, the huge deficits on my hiking days will balance that out. Sometimes, I allow myself a desert or other treat on my hiking days.

If you choose to eat back your exercise calories, use an HRM. If you rely on MFP's estimates or the machine's at the gym, you could be erasing MFP's built-in deficit. Or even worse, you could be creating a surplus.
  • apriltrainer
    apriltrainer Posts: 732 Member
    Options

^ Please ignore all that crap. If you don't eat back calories your deficit will be much too large. MFP's numbers already put you at a deficit, and not eating them back is just foolish. I recommend eating back at least 1/2 - 2/3 of what you burned...with the idea being the more you burn the more you should eat back.

I NEVER eat back my exercise cals. Or at least I try not to.

http://aprilfitness.shutterfly.com/pictures/8

And my goodness...just look at my picture and my vid.. It obviously isn't working for me. ;)
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I NEVER eat back my exercise cals. Or at least I try not to.

http://aprilfitness.shutterfly.com/pictures/8

And my goodness...just look at my picture and my vid.. It obviously isn't working for me. ;)

Good for you. You also fast 16-18 hours a day, have admittedly had issues maintaining your weight, and had very little weight to lose to begin with. Because it works for you doesn't mean everyone needs to follow your example.

PS: If you want to gain strength, like your profile states, you may decide to change your tack at some point.