How do I help my boyfriend? *advice needed badly*

Options
13»

Replies

• Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I too am concerned that setting a goal of 154 might discourage him. I am 5'11" and I was 200 lbs last November. My goal was 175. I got to 160 but decided I should bump it up a bit. Today I'm 166.

Encourage him to track his food but don't tell him what to eat. He may simply hide his eating or become discouraged with the process altogether. I found that just tracking my food, even when I went over my daily calorie goal by a mile, caused me to lose weight. That's because even when I ate too much, it was still less than I had been eating.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    154 lbs would put him in the 14th % for men his height. Why not suggest that he do his research and pick a goal weight himself?
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    He should be aiming for the 170-180lb range.
  • NCchar130
    NCchar130 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Help him or make him meals/foods that taste good. The hardest thing about helping my husband eat healthier is he imagines he has to eat foods he doesn't like, that don't taste good to him, that won't be satisfying. It's been a revelation to me, even though I've been a compulsive food label reader since I was about 13 years old, that a whole plate of roasted vegetables with garlic, olive oil, a bit of parmesan cheese, sea salt and pepper is delicious and filling and satisfying (I crave them sometimes). In addition, it's roughly equivalent in calories to the 3-4 servings of potato chips I used to eat as an appetizer :wink: with far less sodium, and much higher nutritional value for my body.
  • beccyleigh
    beccyleigh Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    why not mkae the food he likes but healthy versions of them. Have a look at skinnytaste.com and pick a few receipes out to try.
  • Terree83
    Options
    Any suggestions on food types to recommend? He's doing well so far.. He's tried cod in parsley sauce.. He liked the cod but not the sauce lol.. He's also liking the granola with yoghurt and strawberries I recommended for him to try for breakfast x

If he's not a fan of vegetables, try to trick him into liking them. You can make some seriously awesome tasting foods that are far from eating raw and/or steamed veggies.
    For example.. my boyfriend hates cauliflower... so I found some recipes where you make loaded mashed potatoes, but sub in cauliflower for the potatoes.. way lower in carbs and calories, and has a good amount of fiber. Plus, it's super tasty!
    Quinoa is another solution.. there are endless recipes out there for it, and it's WAY healthier than eating any kind of pasta or rice.

There is always a way to help him eat healthier. Hopefully he's at least willing to try some new things!
  • Bronx_Montgomery
    Bronx_Montgomery Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    It is def going to take sometime for him to realize only because he is not huge due to his constant drumming. He is only associating unhealthy with being overweight even though internally he is doing harm to his body that he can not see. Not sure what your fit level is but maybe try going for runs and just watch him struggle. This may get him on the same page. Also who does the grocery shopping? Try eliminating those things from the house. If they are not there then he can not eat them.
  • Cindym82
    Cindym82 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    Pff pls, 154lbs is wayyy to light for his length, 171lbs is fine.

THIS!!!! My boyfriend is 5'9 and is 180lbs and you wouldn't even know because he has almost no body fat and has abs and eats like a pig 80% of the time. Tell him to hit some weights and call it a day. He just might need to lower his body fat but 154lbs he'd look ridiculous
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    Do you live with him? Cook for him, or teach him how to cook foods that are healthier. I have a lot of low calorie recipes on my blog, they are simple and don't take long to make and they are healthy.

Encourage him to get outside and be active, plan hikes together, bike ride together, walk the dog (or not) together.
  • dawndw
    dawndw Posts: 203
    Options
    The best way to help him is educate him slowly, and don't ridicule him or punish him if he makes a poor food choice. The last thing you want is this to be an area of contention. He needs support not judgement. You said he was not educated so remedy that!!! I totally know what you are going through. I am battling the same issue. The more I "Preach" and make big issues out of what he buys or eats he takes 3 steps back.

Feel free to friend me if you like :-)
  • caitlyn30
    caitlyn30 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    have him log his food on here... thats how I am learning what I can eat and what I cant. make sure he has calories/sugar/sodium down to watch. I never knew how much sodium everything has until I started here. i'd tell him to try to get to 170 and see how he feels.
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    You should talk to him about it. Not directly, in more subtle ways. Letting out big sighs when he eats something unhealthy, slamming the refrigerator door and grumbling under your breath as you stomp out of the room, that kinda thing.

I'm guessing this was sarcasm..if not then it's probably the worst advice ever.

If he is serious then he will look around MFP and figure it out. If he asks advice I'd say offer but make sure also that he is going to other places as well. Right now he sounds like he's just in the 'I'm doing this for her" mode. Make sure you tell him that he is perfect to you and that he does not have to do things just because you want him to. I'd go with the 'health' angle to be honest. Let him find his way, and be prepared if he decides that it's not the right time for him.

Cook for him some more and encourage him to 'try' your food but don't make too many changes all at once or he may just get overwhelmed and bolt - baby steps.

And to those people with the rude comments about 'poindexter' and skinny men please keep it to yourselves. Some men prefer to be thin and some women prefer thin men just like some men prefer thin women. Everyone has to find their own comfortable weight even if you personally think it's too low. As long as they don't have an ED and they are happy why do you care if they wish to be a little on the thin side?
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    According to BMI charts, my husband needs to lose about 80 pounds. According to his doctor, he needs to lose about 30. He has a large frame and a lot of muscle mass.
  • chooriyah
    chooriyah Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    My hubby is also a vegetable-hater, I think mostly because his mother did not make him eat them when he was younger. But, he has changed dramatically over the last five years. When we got married the only veggies he would eat were those frozen packages of carrot, peas and sweetcorn. He would boil a small portion and eat it first, as though it was medicine, before the rest of the food.

He still doesn't like salad or raw vegetables (it's definitely the un-cooked thing that he doesn't like), but he'll eat if it there's a bowl on the table. He does, however, like roast vegetables (zucchini, eggplant, onion, carrots, pumpkin etc), and likes peppers and sweetcorn in chilli, sweetcorn in pasta. He loves mushrooms, so we can make mushroom lasagne, mushroom stroganoff etc...Vegetables in thai or indian curry is also another way that he enjoys.

Still won't eat fruit though. It's a process, will take time.

Stop buying all the junk and have some healthy snacks around that he likes instead - nuts? crackers? olives? dates? Start cooking and make home-made versions of the microwaved meals that he enjoys. You can also find some super healthy sweet treat recipes as well, just takes a bit of research.

And definitely agree with all those pointing out that passive-aggressiveness, being the food police and acting like his mom is not the way forward! Lead by example and work together instead.

Good luck!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I think 154 is too light for a guy 5ft 11" tall, he should be at least 14 pounds heavier than that.

My boyfriend is 5'11" and about that weight. He fluctuated between about 155 and 165 or so. He is a very small-framed kinda man (and much stronger than he looks!).

Some men are fine at that weight and height, but like with women, it depends on frame.

OP -- If you want him to eat healthier, cook him healthy but tasty food. A lot of people don't realize how good healthy food can be. I taught my daughter's aunt last year that food can have flavor without being over-salted and she was really surprised when I cooked for her using other spices and no salt at all how good the food was. People believe and learn when you show them, not tell them.
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I think the important thing here is baby steps. As you said joining MFP alone was a big step for him. Let him log on his own for a bit, and if he asks questions, just answer them. I wouldn't want to push too hard at this point because it may turn him away from the point of things.

I was very uneducated when I began, so I started with portion control, and as I got used to that, I started to turn away from unhealthy foods and turn to eating more fruits and veggies and such. I would just focus on him staying under his calories for now and not try to change too many things at once, because that can be very overwhelming.

That's just my opinion though, it's what worked for me :)

^this!

You don't want to scare him away. I've had to take major baby steps. When I look at all the things I want to accomplish as a whole, I get a little squeamish. But when I take it in pieces it seems to go a lot easier.
  • Goonygugu
    Options
    I agree with maybe starting to cook together - and you can also be senaky about getting his veggies into meals... espcailly meals like cottage pie/ hot pots - they don't have to be unhealthy.

If there are veggies that he won't eat - try steaming them, then puree'ing them and adding them to help thicken the meat sauce etc...

and let him log on MFP for a while and if he asks questions answer them and give him a nudge in the right direction.

You say he drums energetically for 2 hours at a time - that burns a lot of cals so he is porbably burning all the cals he is eating - the probelm will come in when he stops exercising and keeps eating the way he is.

You can also make sure your food looks really tasty so he will want to eat what you are eating.

as for the snacks - if you can start buying smaller packet/tub sizes... so he eats less.. :-)
  • cici1028
    cici1028 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Take over the cooking (if you don't already) and try lots of different recipes. Indian food (curries) can be extremely healthy and are loaded with hidden veggies like onions and tomatoes. They are so easy to make at home... You can easily sneak in some peas, carrots, cauliflower, sweet potato, or spinach for some texture and some extra nutrients. And the curry will totally cover the veggie flavor if he isn't a fan! Serve it over brown rice and he might not even notice once the rice is buried in sauce!

What about grilled chicken? There are lots of great low calories sauces you can make like salsas and glazes that can be sweetened by fruit juice rather than sugar. Work together to prepare homemade pot pies... they can be good for you! Try stews as well.

Maybe do more things together? Try exercising together or inviting him for a stroll around the block for dinner? Eat out less and don't buy pre-packaged food.
  • caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    Tons of great advice in this post! I agree that he needs to want to do it himself, which since he is askign questions, it sounds like he might be heading down that road. HIm asking is a great start. The more educated you are then the more you can help him. My husband is also not a veggie fan. Either was I when we first met but we've been working it in. While I do enjoy then straight up now, I have to add them in more creative ways for my family. Here are some of the things we all enjoy and maybe one or two of these things will work for you guys:

- Whole wheat pasta with a light cream sauce (lots of different recipes out there that can be made "healthy") ... when the pasta is a few minutes from being finished, throw in some fresh cut up brocolli. When it's in the water for just a few minutes it steams up nicely and holds a lot of nutrients still. Mixed with the pasta and sauce, it's a bit easier to eat for non-brocolli lovers. Add some chicken or shrimp and it's a complete meal.

- If he likes sandwiches, add on some spinach leaves with it. Not a strong taste but a little extra boost.

- This recipe: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/marinated-grilled-shrimp/detail.aspx. YUM!!! Double the marinade and add in green peppers, red peppers and red onion. It's delicious. My husband can't get enough of the veggies this way. (Granted, there is a lot of olive oil in this but with the veggies and the shrimp, still a decent meal.)

- French cut green beans with toasted almonds mixed in. The almonds really help offset the taste of the green beans and almonds are a nice health boost too. Just don't add too many.

Hope at least one or two of these help! These are the ones that have gotten my husband to add some more veggies in. I won't bother listing the ones that *didn't* work. :)
  • kittyr77
    kittyr77 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Hey i think you used the 18.5 - 24.9 range to calculate a weight for him bang in the middle. I would use the 20-25 range which suits most people. My periods stopped for 6 months when my bmi was 19 and i looked skeletal.
    But as others have said, aiming for reducing body fat and increasing muscle percentage might be a better way to think about it. For example, a 160lb man can look slim but be really weak and flabby, whereas a 180lb guy the same height could look and feel much much better!