Never seen a community forum like MFP's!

Options

Replies

• Treesy72
    Treesy72 Posts: 230
    Options
    387105_3439912193476_941567769_n.jpg

Awe Man!! Now I want Wenches and Rum!! :grumble:
  • apedeb09
    apedeb09 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    because nobody is moderating and it is a free for all. like sitting at a bar and hearing anyone and everyone's thoughts out loud..

Exactly what he said.. This site needs better moderators. JMO
  • paulaviki
    paulaviki Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    As plenty of others have already said, this place is no better or no worse than any other Internet forum I've used. There are always people spoiling for an argument. But you just choose how to deal with them, either argue back or ignore them but don't get upset and take posts personally when the people don't know you and are hiding behind a keyboard. If you can't deal with people disagreeing with you or being rude then I'd just avoid forums full stop. :smile:
  • PhilyPhresh
    PhilyPhresh Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I mean come on, what do you expect people? You have a bunch of fat people trying to lose weight, they just realized that they can no longer have chocolate and then you throw some controversial topic in their face and expect them to calmly and rationally listen to your points of view?... It all makes sense really... :laugh:

Careful bro, watch the F bomb. You may get eaten if you anger the mob.

I just read that like 4 times going "when did I say f***?"

Fat. The F Bomb is Fat.

yeah... I got that.
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    Bacon makes me less stabby, offer more bacon related items.

bacon-starry-night.jpg

Bacon just makes it better.

OMG..do I see a bacon STARRY NIGHT?

That is all kinds of win!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Cranky? MFP is tame compared to several other forums (fora?) that I belong to.

Try starting a thread about diving to 300 fsw on air with an 80 cf aluminum tank on a scuba forum and you'll see what "cranky" is........
  • PhilyPhresh
    PhilyPhresh Posts: 600 Member
    Options

bacon-starry-night.jpg

Bacon just makes it better.

Does anyone else hear that rumbling in the distance...?
  • Lazygal53
    Lazygal53 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    387105_3439912193476_941567769_n.jpg

I's a Wench just call me Irishwench :bigsmile:
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    You haven't been on the WoW forums, have you?

Or Trade Chat :P

Oh wait, I'm a girl, and they don't exist in WoW...guess I've never really been there :)
  • jcjsjones
    jcjsjones Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    This is why I post my questions / concerns to my MFP friends instead of the forums. I seem to get a much better (and positive) response.
  • mandorla
    mandorla Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    because nobody is moderating and it is a free for all. like sitting at a bar and hearing anyone and everyone's thoughts out loud..

sofakingaweso hit the nail on the head with his comment.
  • elenathegreat
    elenathegreat Posts: 3,988 Member
    Options
    I've actually been thinking of leaving MFP for this very reason. It wasn't like this even a year ago. Now, it's just so snarky, I don't bother adding posts to the forum. There are still plenty of nice people on the site, just don't try to find them on the forums. Best of luck in your goals!

Agreed. It used to be a nice place when I was last on here... that was about a year and a half ago. I come back, and my favorite people were gone and replaced with a**holes.

Sorry about replacing your favorite people...
    *sniffles*
  • elenathegreat
    elenathegreat Posts: 3,988 Member
    Options
    I am wndering why the culture here is so different.

People get on threads for no reason, it seems, other than to be rude to people, usually the person who started the thread.

Someone posts about a problem, concern, something important to them, if not to you - that's what the boards are for. Instead of people responding because they have something constructive to add - after all, no one is FORCED to respond to anything in a community forum space - there are inevitably comments that are purely trashing the poster!

Why do people bother?

Maybe I belong to particularly polite online communities - and I don't think so, because when people disagree, they are vocal and it does get heated - but troll behaviour like saying a person is stupid for making a post in the first place, or implying it with disdainful, sarcastic remarks - I've never seen it done like it is here, in a decade of belonging to several, completely open public message boards.

Why is this rudeness so common at MFP? People just cranky out of hunger? :)

It seems that many people trying to change their bodies, their diet, their lifestyle, are particularly in need of support, encouragement, and safe space. Does that vulnerability bring just out the bullies?

Give someone a keyboard, internet access and no webcam and they'll become a jerk face. Give them a webcam and they'll moon you while they're at it.

Note to self: get a webcam...
  • BlueJean4114
    BlueJean4114 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    i haven't read the replies,
    and no idea what current topic is as my post arrives into the thread, haha,
    but,
    it seems in SPECIFIC GROUPS, like subgroups of MFP, one gets kinder replies, less rudeness.
    TO THE OP
    JOIN A subGROUP.

I am older, and found the groups for older ppl have actual replies, on topic, with actual advice, tips, encouragement, etc, and are not rude.:bigsmile:
    Surely, OP, maybe some other groups for your specific interests might be kinder than the general forums are??

...GOOD LUCK!!!
  • Halleeon
    Halleeon Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I've been where you are...and sometimes still can feel that way today, however, I got over it. No troll or elitist jerks is going to run me away from a tool that helps me achieve my goals.

I love using the block feature, and the scroll really fast with my mouse wheel feature (aka, finger) and other maneuvers when I am not in the right zone to see their BS.

Bottom line, I'm honestly incredibly surprised that you have been in chat rooms that long and never seen this type of behavior. I'm not discrediting you, just am shocked. For as long as I have been on the internet, I have run across trolls, in forums, games, wherever and everywhere.
  • littlehedgy
    littlehedgy Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I think everyone from the etiquette board on The Knot came over here.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,565 Member
    Options
    My theory. Heated threads generate repeat views. MFP makes money from ads. Having users return to see the flame fest thus generates more money.

Why close threads that have people coming back again and again when site hits makes yous $$.
    I'm telling ya, the trolls are the advertisers.:laugh: :laugh:

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • gdbadass
    gdbadass Posts: 60
    Options
    Honestly, I've been where you are...and sometimes still can feel that way today, however, I got over it. No troll or elitist jerks is going to run me away from a tool that helps me achieve my goals.

yes, the tools have been really helpful at MFP! that's the bottom line.

trolls are everywhere, of course. i guess my online interactions are generally with pretty mature, intelligent people - or at least people who have something better to do than attack others for kicks.

but like i said, the question was pretty much answered - it's the 'lowest common denominator" factor.

AND i made some new friends from this post, so it was worthwhile. :laugh:
  • cardozm
    cardozm Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I love MFP....have been here 80 days and so far no negative feelings yet...but yeah you r right.sometimes being hungry makes me cranky....lol...Great day everyone
  • Fieldsy
    Fieldsy Posts: 1,105 Member
    Options
    The forums here were much better in 2009 and 2010. Now its filled with a bunch of junk.

Yeah, I get the "dont open it then". I like the recent post feature,but now its filled with junk threads. Also, good threads turn into arguments now that go off topic.

Oh well.