Cardio Does Not Burn Muscle Mass

Options

Replies

• Plates559
    Plates559 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Studies have shown you should stay well hydrated through out the day for a healthier lifestyle, doctors and experts agree to the average person consuming at least 8 glasses of water a day.

Cite your studies, that'll get him!
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    Studies have shown you should stay well hydrated through out the day for a healthier lifestyle, doctors and experts agree to the average person consuming at least 8 glasses of water a day.

But bro, we don't look at links
  • WhoTheHellIsBen
    WhoTheHellIsBen Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options

What I've learned by reading this thread is I don't have to do the work for you! lol Google it !
  • Cristofori44
    Options
    Hey PLATES559, How did you get your Vanity Mirror all the way out there?

You as well: Anything intelligent to offer to the debate on whether cardio burns muscle mass, or not?
    If you don't have anything intelligent or constructive to say, I suggest you stop posting.

I was not talking to you so stop ease dropping, man the nerve of some people. But since you're here, what debate? The whole first page was people pointing out that this is common knowledge and you have brought nothing new/interesting/different to the table. If this is the type of thread you are interested in here, let me contribute...ahem...Studies have shown you should stay well hydrated through out theday for a healthier lifestyle, doctors and experts agree to theaverage person consuming at least 8 glasses of water a day. Better?

Thanks, but just one note: I think you wanted to type that as "eavesdropping." There is no such word as "ease dropping." Just FYI :)
  • WhoTheHellIsBen
    Options
    Hey PLATES559, How did you get your Vanity Mirror all the way out there?

You as well: Anything intelligent to offer to the debate on whether cardio burns muscle mass, or not?
    If you don't have anything intelligent or constructive to say, I suggest you stop posting.

I was not talking to you so stop ease dropping, man the nerve of some people. But since you're here, what debate? The whole first page was people pointing out that this is common knowledge and you have brought nothing new/interesting/different to the table. If this is the type of thread you are interested in here, let me contribute...ahem...Studies have shown you should stay well hydrated through out theday for a healthier lifestyle, doctors and experts agree to theaverage person consuming at least 8 glasses of water a day. Better?

Thanks, but just one note: I think you wanted to type that as "eavesdropping." There is no such word as "ease dropping." Just FYI :)
    FYI that was TWO words as indicated by the space in between them, ease, and dropping, both exist in the english language, jus' sayin'
  • Plates559
    Plates559 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Ease Dropping: to drop in/towards something without difficulty
  • WhoTheHellIsBen
    Options
    Ease Dropping: to drop in/towards something without difficulty

No but really, how did you get your vanity mirror out there ?:devil:
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    My muscles are basically melting off from my running.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    "Cardio does not burn muscle mass, crash diets and bad nutrition burn muscle mass!"
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/does-cardio-burn-muscle/

"The reason that cardio has gotten a bad reputation for burning muscle is that most often, people couple drastic diets with cardio in their effort to “cut” after “bulking” – its why I hate the whole bulking and cutting mentality. ) Its the drastic caloric reduction that is responsible for the muscle loss, not the cardio! "

http://fitnessblackandwhite.com/does-cardio-burn-muscle-or-fat/
    "As long as you get enough protein … maybe not even as much as you think you need, do some sort of strength training and don’t run 43 miles everyday for two months you really don’t need to worry about cardio burning muscle."

Incidentally, the above study showed a 7 percent decline in leg muscle mass for runners on ultra-long race that was 2,777 miles over two months. As most of us won't be doing that, I don't think we have to worry about loss of muscle mass from a 3-5 mile clip once or twice a week. http://www2.rsna.org/timssnet/media/pressreleases/pr_target.cfm?ID=506
    I'm inclined to agree with this to an extent. You could still get enough protein, but if your still highly negative in energy, that energy has to come from somewhere.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options

Just keep at it and you will eventually reveal the layer of fat underneath!
  • Cristofori44
    Options

How much are you running and what is your calorie deficit? Just curious.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

How much are you running and what is your calorie deficit? Just curious.

I was kidding- I run a lot but I also strength train and have a high protein diet. I run about a 500 cal deficit. My muscles are A-OK.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Too much high intensity cardio DOES in fact burn muscle mass. How many long distance runners have you seen that are jacked?

ZERO.
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    I don't consider long distance running to be "high intensity." With respect to runners in general and muscle mass, have a look at Olympic sprinters against marathon runners. I would argue that sprinters are not burning their LBM while training or performing.

marathon_sprinter.jpg
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    I don't consider long distance running to be "high intensity." With respect to runners in general and muscle mass, have a look at Olympic sprinters against marathon runners. I would argue that sprinters are not burning their LBM while training or performing.

If your HR is above 140, it's high intensity. I don't know many runners that stay below that.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Too much high intensity cardio DOES in fact burn muscle mass. How many long distance runners have you seen that are jacked?

ZERO.

That's because it's counterproductive to have it so they don't develop it, not because they are cannibalizing themselves.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Just keep at it and you will eventually reveal the layer of fat underneath!

:laugh: Cute!
  • Cristofori44
    Options

marathon_sprinter.jpg

The photos there are really extremes--the marathon runner vs. the sprinter. As another poster pointed out, it's probably the case that the competitive marathon runner doesn't need extra muscles to do his work, not that his running is eating away all his muscles; and that the sprinter needs the extra muscles for explosive movement.

I am more talking about the practical aspect of somebody running 3-5 miles a few times a week and combining that with strength training. I am neither a strength nor cardio junkie; I favor a balanced approach. But there are some people who believe that running a few miles 2-3 times a week will burn off their muscle mass---I really doubt that unless the person is also consuming not enough calories. But prove me wrong if there's enough evidence....
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options

marathon_sprinter.jpg

The photos there are really extremes--the marathon runner vs. the sprinter. As another poster pointed out, it's probably the case that the competitive marathon runner doesn't need extra muscles to do his work, not that his running is eating away all his muscles; and that the sprinter needs the extra muscles for explosive movement.

I am more talking about the practical aspect of somebody running 3-5 miles a few times a week and combining that with strength training. I am neither a strength nor cardio junkie; I favor a balanced approach. But there are some people who believe that running a few miles 2-3 times a week will burn off their muscle mass---I really doubt that unless the person is also consuming not enough calories. But prove me wrong if there's enough evidence....

This post addresses what you're talking about.

http://www.biolayne.com/contest-prep/best-form-of-cardio-for-bodybuilding/

Furthermore I don't think that a run once or twice a week is going to hurt your gains. I ran all while increasing my squat from 225 to 430 lbs. My runs were 7 miles in length at just under a 9 minute mile. Nowhere near high intensity.
  • Cristofori44
    Options

marathon_sprinter.jpg

This post addresses what you're talking about.

http://www.biolayne.com/contest-prep/best-form-of-cardio-for-bodybuilding/

Furthermore I don't think that a run once or twice a week is going to hurt your gains. I ran all while increasing my squat from 225 to 430 lbs. My runs were 7 miles in length at just under a 9 minute mile. Nowhere near high intensity.

/\ Thanks for this. Appreciated.
This discussion has been closed.