WEIGHT LOSS WITH NO EXERCISE

Options
I met this lady and she weighed 304 lbs at the beginning of March and we keep in touch. I saw her today and she has lost 61lbs weith no exercise except walking 30 minutes a day. She stay within her calorie goal and she said every two weeks she would do a cheat day and also she would only eat a fiberone bar and chew sugarfree gum in the mornings. And you can totally tell the difference when you see her. Has anyone tried to lose weight just staying within your calories with no exercise. She told me to try it for a week and see how much weight I can lose. She said her first week that she lost almost 4 lbs...like wowwww...

Replies

• sisyoli
    sisyoli Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Wow..that's awesome.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit is what causes weight loss, whether it's accomplished with or without exercise. You can exercise all you want to and if your diet isn't in order, you won't lose weight - hence the saying "You can't out-train a bad diet". There are other reasons that exercise is highly beneficial, but that's beyond talking purely about weight loss.
  • ChampsMom1205
    ChampsMom1205 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I haven't but I know it can be done.
    Just think if she can lose weight without it, she can bust through with the weightloss with it.
  • nataliexxxx
    Options
    I lost about my first 28 pounds without exercise, I just kept within my calories then I decided to go to the gym to tone up, but weight loss will slow down eventually and exercise will help
  • angeldaae
    angeldaae Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Walking 30 minutes a day *is* exercise.
  • wlkumpf
    wlkumpf Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Between my baby 2 and baby 3 I did caloriecount.com and kept it right at 1200 calories. I was able to lose weight and do so pretty quickly.

That being said this time I am looking at being more toned and fit as well. I want to gain some muscle and lose weight slowly and healthy to be able to keep it that way :) I am not aiming for 4 lbs a week. If I hit that I may add some extra calories in. I am looking for at most 2 pounds a week!

I think I read it is 70% diet and 30% excersize.
  • FireBrand80
    FireBrand80 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    It's all about calories in/calories out, on paper. Not to mention, it's pretty easy to drop weight rapidly when you're that big and just starting.

However, in the real world, an exercise program is critical to long-term maintenece.
  • GrandmaSue16
    Options
    walking 30 min a day is exercise in my book. My experience has been any more moving than is your normal is exercise - and keeping in your goal calories does it. Great success!
  • diadojikohei
    diadojikohei Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    This is not sustainable.
    As soon as she stops she'll blow up like a barrage balloon!
  • momtokgo
    momtokgo Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Walking 30 minutes a day is exercise. Especially when you weight 304lbs.

But yes, you can lose weight just by diet and walking.
  • cartrat
    cartrat Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    yep. lost all my 11 lbs so far without exercise. i plan to incorporate it later... one day... some day :)

i'm one of those people that doesn't really like exercise. *shrugs* i'm lazeh.
  • vacherin
    vacherin Posts: 192
    Options
    I would disagree that it's ALWAYS about calories in versus calories out (this works for some people, not everyone). I think weight loss without exercise is possible but I found it very hard - painfully slow, really tiresome having to scrupulously watch what I ate, and you don't really get the toned lean look that exercise gives you.
  • CanadianThunder
    Options
    Yep. Lost my weight with little to no exercise, but to achieve my "goal body" I need to start exercising.
  • Chiquita_Bonita
    Options
    Ive heard other people say that too. they just walked like everyday & dropped weight!
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    I have lost 76 pounds since March 11th. I exercise now, but for the first three months I did not and I lost about 50 pounds. I think it is a lot more to do with diet. I exercise now because I know it's good for me, but I think if I continue eating the way I am, I would lose, even without exercise
  • AshRyd
    AshRyd Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    i watch what i eat and walk in the evenings. sometimes if the kids go with their bikes or scooters the speed is a little faster, but if i am alone i must admit it is probably more relaxing stroll enjoying my time alone.

My friend says that just that stroll reduces my stress so my "stress eating" goes down, i will take that :happy:

i don't do a lot of research and don't know that much about exercise or healthy eating, but I do know that since i stopped sitting in my recliner so much and i started walking a little more and trying to add in more fruits and veggies i just plain feel better.
  • queendeej
    queendeej Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Walking IS exercise. I lost 80 pounds in the past by watching what I ate and walking for about an hour four days a week.
  • 20danielle12
    20danielle12 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I am currently losing and am not exercising due to health issues, it is possible, but it doesn't feel as good! and I agree with previous posters, 30mins walking a day is exercise :)

xxx
  • cPT_Helice
    cPT_Helice Posts: 403
    Options
    I met this lady and she weighed 304 lbs at the beginning of March and we keep in touch. I saw her today and she has lost 61lbs weith no exercise except walking 30 minutes a day. She stay within her calorie goal and she said every two weeks she would do a cheat day and also she would only eat a fiberone bar and chew sugarfree gum in the mornings. And you can totally tell the difference when you see her. Has anyone tried to lose weight just staying within your calories with no exercise. She told me to try it for a week and see how much weight I can lose. She said her first week that she lost almost 4 lbs...like wowwww...

Why do you say she isn't exercising? You said she is 304 lbs and walking 30 minutes a day. That sure as heck is exercise!
  • ladyjanewriter
    ladyjanewriter Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Walking is exercise.

Just because it's not jogging, aerobics, or a sport, doesn't mean it's not exercise.

Just keep moving, whichever way you can, and whichever way you love doing. I'm gonna see if I can add some Zumba, next. :0)