WEIGHT LOSS WITH NO EXERCISE

Options

Replies

• SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    You can lose weight without exercise no problem. It's all about calories in vs calories out. Exercise shapes the body, so the problem with not exercising is you usually end up looking pretty flabby.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I Iost my first 50 pounds with no exercise at all.
  • slays1415
    slays1415 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    This is not sustainable.
    As soon as she stops she'll blow up like a barrage balloon!

As soon as she stops what? You can totally lose weight without exercising (and keep it off, for that matter). In fact, it can be argued that it may be easier to do it without exercise because of the increased appetite that comes with exercise. However, as others have said, there are many other reasons to exercise besides weight loss.
  • NKF92879
    NKF92879 Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    Walking 30 minutes a day *is* exercise.

^^^This...
  • 2012asv
    2012asv Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit is what causes weight loss, whether it's accomplished with or without exercise. You can exercise all you want to and if your diet isn't in order, you won't lose weight - hence the saying "You can't out-train a bad diet". There are other reasons that exercise is highly beneficial, but that's beyond talking purely about weight loss.

This.
  • jennajocummings
    Options
    I have done it. About 10 years ago I weighed 211. I went to weight watchers and with 0 and I mean 0 exercise I got down to 155. My body averaged 3.5 lbs of weight loss weekly.

NOW....

I will say this... I was only 155 but I was flabby and completely out of shape and even a bit lazy. I won't blame the lack of exercise for my weight gain back (I'm a yo-yo dieter) but I will say even though I am heavier right now I spin & lift weights 5 days a week and I feel better than I ever had. Moral- You can do it but you'll feel better adding in cardio & weight training. Good luck!
  • gatrs1568
    Options
    YES! I have lost 26 pounds in 65 days with little to no exercise. I maybe go on a hike or Zumba once a week. I watch what I eat, portion size, no soda, limit white grains. I also do a green smoothie in the morning Monday - Friday. I feel a lot better.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    It can be done, but at the end of the day, when all the weight is lost, you will still look out of shape, because you won't be toned, not that everyone has to have a 6 pack or some beach bod, but toning and building muscle are key to help with excess skin, if you have a LOT to lose.
  • happythermia
    Options
    Yep, it's totally possible!
    That's how I got started, but then I decided I wanted arms like Michelle Obama LOL! So now I'm slowly verging into the world of exercise (yoga)

And maybe because of that (me not being super into exercise) I totally consider walking 30 minutes a day exercise! :-)
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options

Not according to the people that told me it was just 'part of my daily routine' because the 30 min I walk just happens to be to work and back instead of taking a bus. LOL
  • nikkia37
    Options
    I did it in my 20's, but it wasn't long lasting. Now that I am in my 30's, I'm trying to lose weight in a healthier way. 1-2 pounds a week with exercise and moderatly cutting back what I eat.
  • sweetpea129
    sweetpea129 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Do you know me?! LOL.

I've lost 65 lbs now by eating 1200 calories and walking a few times a week. Nothing more. I plan to start jogging soon.
  • MarissaCB39
    MarissaCB39 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I follow the atkins program which does not require exercise to lose and I've lost 12 pounds in 1 1/2 months. I think it's important to exercise to tone the body and stay healthy.

I also think people don't realize how many calories are burned in everyday chores i.e. giving the kids a bath, cleaning the house, mopping the floor etc. If you're like me, I clean obsessively everyday and spend 1 - 2 hours making sure everything is clean and in place plus run after my two small children.
  • sweetpea129
    sweetpea129 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    I follow the atkins program which does not require exercise to lose and I've lost 12 pounds in 1 1/2 months. I think it's important to exercise to tone the body and stay healthy.

I also think people don't realize how many calories are burned in everyday chores i.e. giving the kids a bath, cleaning the house, mopping the floor etc. If you're like me, I clean obsessively everyday and spend 1 - 2 hours making sure everything is clean and in place plus run after my two small children.

This is very true. I have a 1 & 2 year old and chasing and cleaning up after them all day feels like my exercise!
  • diadojikohei
    diadojikohei Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Did Dukan. Lost 28 pounds. Walked daily.
    Have put weight back on.
    1200 calories is not sustainable.
  • misschelle04
    Options

^^^This...

AGREED!!!
  • tvanhooser
    tvanhooser Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Well...I know it's possible. I just offer this personal experience that recently dawned on me: From fall 2010 to May 2012 (about 18 months), I lost 23 pounds without any exercise and only informal, guesstimate hit and miss diet and portion control. In the last 3 months since my doctor visit on May 15 and starting to walk the next day and joining MFP in early June and getting serious about logging food and exercise (and finding that I can do alot more than I thought I could with my bum knee/ankle so no more using that as an excuse!), and staying in calorie limits, limiting sodium, cholesterol and upping fiber intake, I have lost 29 additional pounds as of today. So while you CAN lose weight without exercise, it seems to me that it happens alot faster and more efficiently with it. And since I really don't like the exercise part (don't mind the healthy eating and meal planning -- kind of enjoy that part!), I want to get to goal ASAP so I can cut back to maintenance levels and not have to sweat everyday (which I seriously dislike!). I just want to get through the unpleasantness as quickly as possible and the most effective and efficient way for me to do that is to add in the exercise in spite of myself. I mean more than doubling my weight loss in a fraction of the time....totally worth the effort! Almost halfway to goal --5.3 pounds to go and I mean to work my tush off and make it by month end!! :o)
  • Katahna
    Katahna Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I know first hand that it works =]

Still managed 1kg a week loss with no excersize apart from usualy daily office work activities =]
  • unlocke
    unlocke Posts: 149
    Options

Not according to the people that told me it was just 'part of my daily routine' because the 30 min I walk just happens to be to work and back instead of taking a bus. LOL

Your body doesn't know WHERE you're going......just IF you're going. Keep walking. :smile:
  • simonlcube
    simonlcube Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I met this lady and she weighed 304 lbs at the beginning of March and we keep in touch. I saw her today and she has lost 61lbs weith no exercise except walking 30 minutes a day. She stay within her calorie goal and she said every two weeks she would do a cheat day and also she would only eat a fiberone bar and chew sugarfree gum in the mornings. And you can totally tell the difference when you see her. Has anyone tried to lose weight just staying within your calories with no exercise. She told me to try it for a week and see how much weight I can lose. She said her first week that she lost almost 4 lbs...like wowwww...

If she were to put 61 lbs now in a backpack, following that loss, and carry it on her back for 30 minutes, I guarantee it would feel to her like exercise, but thats what she was doing when she started. As she loses more weight the walking will burn fewer and fewer calories, and she will have to either accept a slower weight loss rate, or start exercising more. It's thats simple.