WEIGHT LOSS WITH NO EXERCISE

Options

Replies

• argenterie
    argenterie Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    30 minute walk IS exercise for most people. You don't have to do a hard core workout, just stay "active" and move around more. And 80% of weight loss is diet!
  • tilishamichelle
    tilishamichelle Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    At some point she will need to create her deficit with exercise and feed her body. So since she is very heavy it will work, but later when she is closer to her goal or half way she will need to add exercise.
  • leahalissa
    leahalissa Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Don't underestimate the power of walking.
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    lol. walking IS exercise :huh: :huh: :huh:

and yes you don't HAVE to exercise for weight loss, but you DO need it for other health benefits and for FITNESS

you can be thin and unfit. just like you can be large and fit, all about goals
  • Krissy366
    Krissy366 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Walking 30 minutes a day *is* exercise.

My thought exactly. Totally confused by the original post.
  • scornholio
    Options
    I've lost weight so many times (lol) that I have learned that diet alone is 90% of weight loss.

Working out just speeds stuff up and makes the stuff under the fat look better. (and make you stronger, healthier, etc)
  • lukeout007
    lukeout007 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    I met this lady and she weighed 304 lbs at the beginning of March and we keep in touch. I saw her today and she has lost 61lbs weith no exercise except walking 30 minutes a day. She stay within her calorie goal and she said every two weeks she would do a cheat day and also she would only eat a fiberone bar and chew sugarfree gum in the mornings. And you can totally tell the difference when you see her. Has anyone tried to lose weight just staying within your calories with no exercise. She told me to try it for a week and see how much weight I can lose. She said her first week that she lost almost 4 lbs...like wowwww...

30 minutes of walking a day is not "NO EXERCISE".

In fact 30 minutes of walking for someone who weighs (or weighed) 304 lbs is pretty good exercise.
  • McGrew822
    Options
    Well, if you're three hundred pounds, walking even thirty minutes is likely far better than continuing those habits that got you to three hundred pounds. That may work for the extremely obese, but as you return to a more normal weight, it becomes progressively harder to shed pounds.
  • Salvi30
    Salvi30 Posts: 196 Member
    Options

It sure is.
  • PrncessBre
    PrncessBre Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I lost my 22 without any excercise, but I do want to start so I can tone up along the way
  • gshoemaker06
    gshoemaker06 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I met this lady and she weighed 304 lbs at the beginning of March and we keep in touch. I saw her today and she has lost 61lbs weith no exercise except walking 30 minutes a day. She stay within her calorie goal and she said every two weeks she would do a cheat day and also she would only eat a fiberone bar and chew sugarfree gum in the mornings. And you can totally tell the difference when you see her. Has anyone tried to lose weight just staying within your calories with no exercise. She told me to try it for a week and see how much weight I can lose. She said her first week that she lost almost 4 lbs...like wowwww...

As others have stated, that is the MAIN cause of weight loss. If you do cardio you just burn more calories so that you can eat more and still lose weight along with improving your cardio system. If you do strength training you burn some calories and build your muscles.

Strictly dieting will just lose fat.
  • Leeanne1974
    Leeanne1974 Posts: 207 Member
    Options

Not according to the people that told me it was just 'part of my daily routine' because the 30 min I walk just happens to be to work and back instead of taking a bus. LOL
    That is exercise, anyone that says otherwise is an idiot!

I have to park my car about a 5 minute walk from work. Its an extra 20 mins walk i didn't used to do a day so it gets logged. I was doing a slow walk before and now do a speedy walk. Its logged every day ;)
  • PaleoRDH
    PaleoRDH Posts: 266
    Options
    I would consider walking 30 mins a day to be excercise. I busted my butt doing in this morning as a matter of fact.
  • msshiraz
    msshiraz Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I agree with previous posts, that walking 30 minutes a day is exercise, but, if she was already doing this, I don't know if I would count is as additional exercise, simply because our bodies adjust to routine.
    It would be great if she'd add in a few minutes more, or add in some stairs, or something each week to make it more challenging.

That being said, how serious are you about sustained weight loss? How fit do you want to be? Does your goal have terminology such as "Thin, skinny, tiny, ect" or does it have " strong, fit, lean muscle" in the topic? If your goal is to be a size or to be what you were in your youth, without looking at the whole package of what it takes to keep weight off, you may be setting yourself up for failure. We need exercise, our quality and quantity of life depends on it. We need it to deal with stress just as much as we need it to keep our organs and body functioning the best it can.
    I am on the other spectrum, diet is much harder for me than exercise, I have to discipline myself to eat right, (which is just about planning ahead)- MFP is really helping me stay on track with that. Fitness is such a joy for me, exercise is so completely addicting when you find something you love! I work out at least 8-10 hours a week now- most is cardio, but also do weight training. I started doing 2-3 times a week 2 years ago, low impact- then I found my passion ZUMBA® --- and I never stopped! :)
  • puffidredz
    puffidredz Posts: 119 Member
    Options

i'm doing the same thing your friend is doing altho i DO consider walking exercise because walking 30min is a mile. i do walk 2 miles a day and when i'm pissed off about something, sometimes 4. i've only been trying to lose weight for a month now and so far jus eating my cals and walking 2 miles a day, i have lost 10 lbs and have had cheat days. but yes you could sit on your butt and not exercise at all and still lose weight as long as you aren't eating over the calories set for your BMR. its when ppl eat over their calories and sit on their butt is when they gain weight.
  • quickchekgal
    quickchekgal Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Walking is exercise.
  • DelilahCat0212
    DelilahCat0212 Posts: 282 Member
    Options

YES!
  • BarbWhite09
    BarbWhite09 Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    I lost the majority of my weight with no exercise...If you have a calorie deficit you will lose weight. I started exercising (I've stopped for a while because I managed to break my little toe randomly one day, lol) once I hit my goal weight to try to just tone up & whatnot.
  • Kelley528
    Kelley528 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I have lost 20 lbs so far without exercise ( i do walk 15 min a day for my daily commute but I dont think of that as exercise considering I was once a gym rat).

My body is losing weight in a different way by doing it without exercise. I am getting smaller, which I like. I have decided to lose another 15 lbs before I incorporate anything other than my commute into my routine. I was incredibly toned and lean when I exercised in the past but I think I would have had better results then if i lost weight before i did weight training. I agree with what others said---in the long term you need the exercise but it does help if you lose weight before you step up your exercise routine.
  • puffidredz
    puffidredz Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    This is not sustainable.
    As soon as she stops she'll blow up like a barrage balloon!

troll_detected.png