Part of me really wants to stop getting on here...

Options

Replies

• pittskaa
    pittskaa Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    i just ignore all of the people who are rude. don't let it get to you!
  • MommaToFour
    Options
    Fill your friends list up with NICE people...and then post all your questions/topics/ etc on your own status. Works great for me! :)
  • tatorb
    tatorb Posts: 16
    Options
    Don't let the CRAPPY peeps outweigh the support of the GOOD peeps. I struggle with this too, but once you get the really nice ones on your app, you really dont need the website much. :) At least that's my way of thinking.

Be Blessed,

TatorB
  • LuxHappens
    LuxHappens Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I agree with many of the other commenters. I am very positive and love encouraging others so feel free to add me!

Just remember that it doesn't matter how sarcastic or "rude" someone else is. Don't let the opinions and BS of others hinder your journey to health! Ya gotta decide what you let bother you and what you don't. That's not only a lesson on dealing with MFP jerks, but also dealing with life.
  • kbailey374
    kbailey374 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    most of my not wanting to be on here is embarrassment about how I am doing w/ food/fitness, so if I was treated badly at ALL it would just be accentuated. I am looking for a way out of doing this lol...

sorry about your phone being mean too! and hope that you are able to get away from the people who are taking THEIR frustration out on you! Gee if it is about what you don't know, why don't they nicely educate you instead of talking down to you!

(((Hugs)))
  • SofaKingRad
    SofaKingRad Posts: 1,592 Member
    Options
    Hang in there. There are people who like to make jokes (me) and then there are people who like to treat others like crap or that they are better than others. Just try to distinguish between the two and avoid the jerks.
  • StrawberrySprinkles
    Options
    It takes maturity, respect, and self respect to be fully and unselfishly supportive of others. Keep that in mind. :):flowerforyou:
  • Mbishop7684
    Mbishop7684 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Fill your friends list up with NICE people...and then post all your questions/topics/ etc on your own status. Works great for me! :)

^^THIS^^

The forums are pretty much trolls so I wouldn't expect a TON of support from there. Stick with specific groups and build your friends list. When you go on the forums look for the people who tend to be supportive and then ask to add them. I did that and have found AMAZING support!! Good luck and please don't let faceless and nameless avatars defeat your weight loss endeavors!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    Life in general is full of nice people and not so nice people. I used to sell vacuum cleaners door to door (12 years) and you get to see some really ugly stuff, but what I learned is that most people are really nice in some way. Pick you battles. You'll find that the less energy you waste on the ones you try to get you to bite, the easier life on the forum will be.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • PittShkr
    PittShkr Posts: 1,000 Member
    Options
    Hang in there. There are people who like to make jokes (me) and then there are people who like to treat others like crap or that they are better than others. Just try to distinguish between the two and avoid the jerks.

+1

SKR you are awesome!
  • leannems
    leannems Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    People have a tendency to be really rude over the internet. It's the anonymity factor I think.

But I also think it's a bit passive for you to ask folks to try to change your opinion, and also a bit judgmental that you have developed an opinion about the majority of the people on here. Maybe the majority of the people who wrote on your threads, but the whole of MFP is not a bunch of rude weirdos. I know you probably didn't mean what you wrote exactly, but to judge MFP so quickly seems silly to me - it is a great site.

There are thousands upon thousands of really helpful threads - start searching in those and look for helpful folks. You may also want to try groups - there's usually less random, anonymous internet bashing in there than on the forums.
  • ASPhantom
    ASPhantom Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    From being on here a while, I would say this:

Chances are you are asking something that has been asked a million times. You might not realize it. People on here expect you to search before asking. Which is time consuming and is hard to sort through at times but, expected.

If you lurk around for a bit, you will see what I mean.

Also, some people are just mean. Often, they forget that there are people on the other end of the computer and they say things they would NEVER say in person.

Hang in there and don't let a few jerks keep you from becoming the best you can be.
  • CassiusKnox
    CassiusKnox Posts: 305 Member
    Options

There is an ignore feature. click the arrow under the person's name on the forum you wanna ignore and ignore them that way :)

WOW.... thank you sooooo much. I had NO idea (I'm relatively new too) :drinker:
  • debrawallin
    debrawallin Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Life is not fair, number one lesson in life, there are motivators and negators, the ying/yang. Take what you need and dismiss the rest. We never know what is going on in someone else's life and how they project it on to others.
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    Hang in there.....
    Take it all with a grain of salt.
    Some like to joke around, laugh and move on.
    Some believe they wrote the book here.
    These are the one's that make it fun for us that have a sense of humor.
    Good luck girl!
  • messer999
    messer999 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You've lost 8 pounds so that in itself means you're awesome. Don't pay attention to the trolls in the forum a) sometimes hard to convey male humor in short sentances or b) low carbing causes them to go into testosterone overload, kind of like PMS. Kind of like life, hold the nice people close and ignore the others.
  • almc170
    almc170 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    There are jerks here, yes, but there are also some very supportive people. Sorta like real life, huh? :smile:

Just take what you can use and ignore the rest.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    This is why it is best to stick with MFP for your hand picked friendslist - instead of posting int he forums, post in your statuses and have all those preferred personality types that you friended- discussing your topics with you there. Its how a vast majority of MFPers use this site since the forums are clogged with so much BS.

Good luck!
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    PS congrats on using 5 lb weights instead of 3 lbs when you did the shred!
  • _Wits_
    _Wits_ Posts: 1,286 Member
    Options
    I read through the sodium in V8 thread and I honestly can't see what was the problem with it - you asked a question (and to be honest, the way you asked it might be seen by some as aggressive), people gave their thoughts, nobody suggested you were wrong or stupid.....was there a particular post that you felt was rude?

ditto!!
    I went and looked too; there wasn't anything even approaching rude in there. I'm always a bit baffled by these "everyone here is so mean" posts because I really don't see it. Yeah, the chit-chat area is chock-full of trolling, but I rarely notice anything out of line in the actual advice sections. I'm not sure if there's just something I don't get (and it could be seeing as I have a number of issues dealing with social situations).

Agreed....also people do not want to be critisized in any way...like what restaurants they frequent. If you can't handle difference of opinions (and yes opinions include negative things sometimes) than think before posting. More often than not, no one is being rude or attacking, they just don't agree. Hard sometimes to realize the difference on the internet.

OP...keep doing what you're doing...stick to the forums that you get the most out of and realize...there are just gonna be people you don't like on here. It's ok, ignore them!