What weightloss does to people

Options
I know a few people who have lost weight. A couple of them have become extremely superficial and straight up selfish and slutty. These people have changed so much that I actually get a little apprehensive about losing weight. Why are people like this? I would think that weightloss would make you humble and very into helping others that were once in your shoes. Any chance one of these people get they try making me feel bad because they were once as big as me and they try to show off and say little double meaning comments about me. I just don't get it and it makes me worry, if I lose weight am I going to become like this? Yes weightloss will make you healthier and more fit but does it really make you a better person?

Replies

• FireBrand80
    FireBrand80 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    If you're already a jerk, it just gives you something else to be a jerk about
  • ASPhantom
    ASPhantom Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    Chances are those people were like that on the inside before. They were too ashamed to behave in that manner.
    I have found that it doesn't change you but, it reveals you.
  • Impy84
    Impy84 Posts: 430
    Options
    you'll become whatever you choose to become

no weightloss doesn't make you a better person.

it'll make me sexy as fork though. can't wait
  • poshcouture
    Options
    Chances are those people were like that on the inside before. They were too ashamed to behave in that manner.

This ^^ or have you ever thought that maybe...juuuuuuust maybe they're not used to getting the attention they've craved for so long and they're finally getting it? That in itself can cause someone to go absolutely wild if they're not able to handle it.
  • dlwyatt82
    dlwyatt82 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    Trying to picture myself in that situation (obviously, I'm still very fat), here are some reasons I can think of that the way I behaved might be perceived that way:

1 - I know how easy it was to get fat, and how hard it was to lose it, so I want to stay focused on maintaining the healthy body rather than putting it back on. Particularly when people keep spouting the "80% of people who lose weight gain it all back" crap.

2 - I'm excited about being fit again after so long, and want to do all sorts of things that I avoided for years due to how ashamed I felt about my weight, or due to being physically unable to do certain things.

That would at least cover "superficial", possibly even "selfish". Can't really speak for "slutty" since I'm married, though I imagine I'd be having a good time if I were still single and suddenly attractive after being obese.
  • ThePhoenixRose
    ThePhoenixRose Posts: 1,985 Member
    Options

true story.
  • _Wits_
    _Wits_ Posts: 1,286 Member
    Options

Yup. This.
  • thrld
    thrld Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    this
  • kimberlyhaddix
    Options
    I know several people like this. It is really sad to see actually. I have several clients who have lost weight and ended up in divorce court as well which to me is crazy. My husband loves me for me not for my weight.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Some people are douches. Besides, insecurity comes in many forms, sometimes in the form of a wall flower and some times in the form of "LOOK AT ME, EVERYONE OVER HERE AND LOOK AT ME, YOU DON'T WANT TO LOOK AT ME? LET ME MAKE A SPECTACLE OF MYSELF SO THAT YOU'RE FORCED TO LOOK AT ME." If they were unpleasant before, chances are they'll be unpleasant after. This doesn't sound like a reasonable excuse to not make life changes, you are the only person who can control who you are.
  • mom2handh1975
    mom2handh1975 Posts: 224 Member
    Options

True that!
  • VenusEnvy
    VenusEnvy Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    It is like saying alcohol makes you a jerk. You were a jerk before and it just magnifies it.
  • DoomCakes
    DoomCakes Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    Just stay you. They were probably douche bags before, just no one listened to them. Now they feel since they lost weight they're something else. Just ignore them, don't let them get you down and keep strong. Show them what it's like to be humble. :)
  • emilym_3
    emilym_3 Posts: 62
    Options
    They were already like that on the inside, but too self-conscious to act on it. now that they have some confidence, they think they can act however they want.
  • AlphamaleBAMF
    AlphamaleBAMF Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I know a few people who have lost weight. A couple of them have become extremely superficial and straight up selfish and slutty.

Oh boy oh boy I can't wait.

Not so much the superficial part, but the slutty part. Oh yeah. I am gonna be a filthy dirty little tramp. Mmmm mmm.
  • YogaNikki
    YogaNikki Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Just because you lose weight doesn't mean you've dealt with your insecurities or inner demons. They are probably projecting how they still feel about themselves by being overconfident and douchey, and will prob end up packing the weight back on in the future. Keep your head up, and find new friends :)
  • MsKeelah919
    MsKeelah919 Posts: 332 Member
    Options

It doesn't change you, but reveals you....DEEEP!
  • homesickak
    Options
    I know a few people as well and I am completely floored at their behavior. It's just crazy.
  • MSimm62385
    MSimm62385 Posts: 227
    Options
    Weight loss has had nothing but positive influences on me. Sure I start at myself in the mirror a lot more, but who doesn't like admiring their handiwork!? And I've gotten huge boosts in confidence as my waistline shrunk!
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    That just makes me sad to read. I've lost some weight. So has my husband. We both try to encourage folks when the ask us about our weight loss. I never try to make people feel badly. Lord knows our society does that well enough!!!

On the flip side, I have been told by some folks who are over weight that my discussing my races or my training makes them mad. They HATE to listen to me. Not that I blather, but they happen to be in the room when others **ask** about that stuff. I've been told that my "skinny-ness" (Puh-lease!) makes this one person in particular angry. Wow. Talk about a downer!!!

I think if a person is kindhearted to begin with, they'll be that way regardless of their size. But, just realize, some of us who are currently fit, may not realize our comments about fitness are recieved by others as negative. I'm working hard to keep my trap shut around this particular person. And, I find myself wearing bulkier clothes when I know I'll see her as well.